Fish Store More closing sale

tsciarini;84992 wrote: Okay... so here's the situation: I spoke with Diane (the owner) today.
One of the best</em> local fish stores in our area is going out of business. We as a club need to support them as much as we can! Not criticize them or "trash" them because they are moving down a different path with their business.
Everyone here has had the opportunity to express their opinions and say what they want to say about something that really doesn't involve them in the first place.
Bottom line here... WE NEED TO HELP THEM, NOT KICK THEM WHEN THEY ARE DOWN!!

So here's what I propse... As a Club, let's all go down THIS SUNDAY and help them out the best that we can, buy something in stock. Even if you just go in and buy some snails. They have marked items in the store down starting at 30% and they may continue to mark down items until they get as much back that they have already put in. In the end, they are still taking a great loss. Thats more than enough discount to make it worth the trip and you can have the comfort of supporting a store that supported us for so many years (dispute the negative that some members brought).

Their regular store hours on Sunday are 12:00pm to 6:00pm. Please take a trip down and help out however you can.

Then we can all meet a Sal's.

That 600 Show was awesome....just have to figure how to get it in the back on my truck without anyone noticing!

SuAsati;84987 wrote: Comments like this make me cringe... I don't know about clams, but here is a scenario, I am in the market for live rock, not looking for any specific shape just some live rock, cured/uncured I don't care........ here is a simple math....

Online....
36lbs @ 139.99 + 58.00 shipping(next dayair) - 197.99

Local....
36lbs @ 7.99/lb = 287.64 + 17.25(tax) = 304.90 - 10%ARC = 274.40

Difference is $76.40.....
This is not an opinion, it is just plain facts.... I wouldn't blame anyone going for a better deal, would you? if so, why?

You are not comparing apples to apples. What type of live rock is it?? you are using their fiji junk rock compared to our primo, cured, and hand picked marshall island rock. marshall island rock cost more for us to buy than what we could sell fiji rock retail for!!! If you want 36 lbs of their online type of rock for 197.99$ i have no problem matching that. come and get it. dont forget you can not hand pick it either. I get to do the picking!! See you when you get here

SuAsati;84987 wrote: Comments like this make me cringe... I don't know about clams, but here is a scenario, I am in the market for live rock, not looking for any specific shape just some live rock, cured/uncured I don't care........ here is a simple math....

Online....

Local....

This is not an opinion, it is just plain facts.... I wouldn't blame anyone going for a better deal, would you? if so, why?

Powerbuys are a nightmare for the local stores. I do commend them for taking such initiatives, but if the overall price is lower in general, there will be no reason for powerbuys. If I am going to spend my money I should have the right to spend it wherever I wanted without having to explain why. Burden is on the business to make themselves attractive to the consumer. The consumer just has to justify his wallet and in most cases, their expenses to their spouse.

The rock price at CBA for a pre ordered full box is of Tonga is 5.99.per pound
[The CBA online price will be 3.99 plus 9.99 box and 9.99 delivery (nation wide)]

Live Aquaria and MD sell the same rock in the same box from the same supplier for 4.20 plus 1.60 shipping = 5.80per pound.

All this thread is doing is causing resentment and nothing more no matter who is right or wrong. I think all avenues have been covered by all and heard by all so any further discussion I feel and only my opinion is that this thread needs to go away. We as a club are only hurting ourselves at thos point.

(General statement so don't assume I'm talking to you)

Argumentative discussion is over for this thread. If you want to continue, <u>take it offline</u>.
As a club, I've seen you all come together for a good cause. Supporting a LFS leaving the industry is a good cause. Go out and help however you can.

CAPPUCCINOBAY;84998 wrote:
SuAsati;84987 said:
Comments like this make me cringe... I don't know about clams, but here is a scenario, I am in the market for live rock, not looking for any specific shape just some live rock, cured/uncured I don't care........ here is a simple math....

Online....

Local....

You are not comparing apples to apples. What type of live rock is it?? you are using their fiji junk rock compared to our primo, cured, and hand picked marshall island rock. marshall island rock cost more for us to buy than what we could sell fiji rock retail for!!! If you want 36 lbs of their online type of rock for 197.99$ i have no problem matching that. come and get it. dont forget you can not hand pick it either. I get to do the picking!! See you when you get here

Rock is a rock, But I will entertain it, Don't make assumptions.... The rock is "tonga premium show rock", I have it in the tank, I also have some hand picked from CBay.... I see no difference...... Sorry, it is what it is....

Agreed...

I think this thread has started a small aneurism in my brain!:crazy:

<span style="color: black;">Lol, the thread never fails to get exciting when a LFS joins the debate! I guess it's the difference between people who do this as a living and for those of us as hobbies that make us disagree with each other.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">There are a few LFS out there that have very good prices, even beating out the internet by a few bucks (like MarineFish Dry goods are very competitively priced); but then there are those who charge me $30 for a RedSea Mg test kit, since it was the only one in town and I couldn't wait 5 days for the shipping I had to get it there. The emergency help was much appreciated! </span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
I know the old Pices Pets on Tara Blvd. use to sell me orange non-photo gorgonian and told me it would live in my 10 gallon nano tank... It's not a conspiracy of the ARC members to bash on certain LFS, but rather the crappy business practice and the high prices that makes us shy away them. Every business have overhead cost and etc. and we all gata do what we gata do to survive right? <span style="color: black;"></span>

Kalkbreath;85000 wrote: The rock price at CBA for a pre ordered full box is of Tonga is 5.99.per pound
[The CBA online price will be 3.99 plus 9.99 box and 9.99 delivery (nation wide)]

Live Aquaria and MD sell the same rock in the same box from the same supplier for 4.20 plus 1.60 shipping = 5.80per pound.

First, I do not know about the pre-ordered full box option.... I have never seen it publicized....
Second, I did check the cblive site.... I see two tonga (ridge and slab) both listed at 7.99/lb maybe it is not up to date.... in anycase I am just going by the options I can get my hands on. And 140/36 =3.90.

Apparently some people have a hard time understanding "take it offline"

Closing thread.

Back