Fish Store More closing sale

Porter - Please remember that the ARC is larger than a few people commenting on the internet. We will all miss FS&M.

I think the large number of posts on all sides of this issue have hit a much larger topic than FS&M.

aquazoa;84927 wrote: In another week I will begin my employment with a great store that to my knowledge is not currently an ARC sponsor. The Fish Store always honored the 10% ARC discount but I haven't heard much gratitude from many on here about the years of our support as a sponsor store. Do I continue to plug ARC in my new store when my old one is bashed so badly here? Why should I do that? Just asking.

I think this is the point a lot of us brought up earlier. I think people view that comment as that you should be thankful I am in business instead of the I am thankful you choose to patronize my establishment. It is not the responsibility of the consumer to be grateful, it is the business that the consumer spends their money at.

As far as the continuing to recommend the ARC, I would hope so, this is an excellent group and people can generally share great ideas. But ultimately it is up to you to decide that.

Not trying to offend you or upset you. Just trying to make a logical counterpoint. :) Asides as I said be fore it is just my opinion and we all know what they say about those. :)

aquazoa;84927 wrote: In the past few years at the store we have had a pretty fair response to SuAsati's complaint. Fish replacement events have often been one of the most contentious situations I've had to deal with even as an associate (the manager on duty has to make the last call). When cash is involved and tempers flare it can go badly and that is unfortunate. At The Fish Store and More for the past 3 years now my colleague Reggie has demonstrated a very fair response to a situation like hers. We would offer the customer a 50% off deal on another specimen. That shares the burden between customer and store since it is unclear who's really to blame?? No one is to blame. A living creature was highly stressed out. We all contributed to bringing these creatures around the world away from their natural habitat and if it died we can both share the burden for what we did to it.
In another week I will begin my employment with a great store that to my knowledge is not currently an ARC sponsor. The Fish Store always honored the 10% ARC discount but I haven't heard much gratitude from many on here about the years of our support as a sponsor store. Do I continue to plug ARC in my new store when my old one is bashed so badly here? Why should I do that? Just asking.

You are missing the point, I am not complaining about your policy, I am just saying when a customer finds a better option, he will take it. As a business it is your call to whether take a few losses and keep the customer or ask him to "SHARE" your loss and lose him for life..... pretty soon it will add up and the stores ends up, where it is now. I have spent thousands of dollars since my last visit to FS&M, unfortunatly they didn't see any of this, multiply that by 100, it makes the difference whether a business is successful or not, frankly I have seen the best livestock in atlanta at FS&M, impeccable tanks and quality fish. Like I mentioned early, everyone loses here. But you can't put the blame on the customer for it, blame the management.

As for whether you want to plug in ARC or not, that's a choice an individual makes on his/her own, with or without bias

DannyBradley;84760 wrote:
People that shout about prices need to learn the difference between value and price. Value is everything that is backed by the price; employee knowledge, return policy, conveinence, etc.. Price is that number on the tag. In many cases the Maxijet 1200 for $39.99 has more value than the one for $14.99.

Here is the problem with that. Your assuming this "value" of providing convienence, advice, etc. is worth the difference of the cost to evryone. In the big scheme of things this is not the case (now there is always exceptions but on the whole).

"People need to learn what value is" ??? Last I checked businesses serve consumers needs and wants no matter what business your in. the marketplace will eventually determine what's "valuable" and what's not.

Because you value it and think others should doesn't mean they will and do. This is why any business goes out. You think there s a value and a demand for what your offering and that's not the casee, or more likely in this case it changes over time as someone (etailers in this case) builds a cheaper mouse trap, your cost structures increases dramatically, etc.

I just wanted to say good luck and best wishes to all the employees there! it was probably my favorite LFS to visit and discuss with their knowledgable staff! It's a shame but keep your head up. One of my favortie quotes "There is never security, only opportunity" or in the the same vein "Job security is a myth, but job opportunities are always real"

Ritt, I Have Alot Of Respect For The Truth, We As A Community Have Some Say And The World Around Us Was Created By Us, Change Is Always Good & Bad,it Sucks There Closing, But Past Trend 2 Will Open With New And Fresh Out Looks,as For Are Opinions We All Should Do It With Respect,we All Are Friends,family,bussiness Owners We Have Atleast Earned That.

has anyone actually gone to the store to see what's up with the closing and sale?

Zanski;84862 wrote: You know what all, your right. I dont know much about this hobby thats why im here. Trying to learn as much as I can. All I was trying to do was figure out why Bobby at CBA was upset with the fact that we buy online from out of state business. I simply told him what I thought. And tried to offer suggestions to help the problem. And he accused me of "killing LFS's" just because im a smart consumer. I didnt appreciate it one bit. Then a member trys to justify the high prices of LFS's by telling us to look at power and water bills when the "etailers" have the same problem. I throw a little, lol, joke at him and he also jumped my S***. Whats wrong here? It seems like in every other thread there is a few people going at it about something as stupid as opinions. I think Im just going to bow out of the Atlanta Reef Club. Thank you all for the help over the last year well it would have been a year tomorrow lol. Happy reefing:up:

I think its pretty sad to see this! Because of all the BS we have lost a member. And if everyone thought like Zanski then we would not even have a Reef Club. If it wasnt for the hobbist in this area LFS would not be in business! If no hobbist then no ARC. If no ARC... well then what would it be? Maybe LFS need to see where the hobbist point of view is in saving money before driving them out of the reef club which helps their business! Just a thought!

Ritt,when I Said I Have Respect For The Truth, Thats What You Speak,this Forum In 3 Weeks Time Has Been Just Ugly, I Think We Forget Why We Are Here Love Of Reef?????. Zanski, Hope You Come Back This Should Of Never Happened I'm Sorry. Sal

Juton51,
People have been stating their opinions, it not all really BS not all really facts. Most of this is very informative (at least it is for me) and should be considered by all. It's not a us and them thing, and most of this is not personal at all. I don't see why someone would quiet a club because what I'm reading here. I really don't even see the connection.

I hope E-tailers, Retailer, and Hobbyist are getting some insight here. It should be helpful to all of us when making selling and purchasing decision.

Group hug?

Opinions are like farts.....some just smell better than others but they all stink in the end!

Well all have them, well all hear them. Just make your own opinion and do what you personally believe is right, that's all anyone can ever do.

I am sorry to see FS&M go under. They always had a great selection and knowledgeful staff.

Truly is a sad time indeed... While I didn't shop there much I loved the store. Same goes with CBA, awesome store, just don't get to shop there much (distance)...
And, remember the powerbuy CBA had a while back on clams? I dare you to find a better price online anywhere.
Service from LFS is invaluable

chicagoman_35;84977 wrote: Truly is a sad time indeed... While I didn't shop there much I loved the store. Same goes with CBA, awesome store, just don't get to shop there much (distance)...
And, remember the powerbuy CBA had a while back on clams? I dare you to find a better price online anywhere.

You didn't want to go there.

chicagoman_35;84977 wrote:
That really wasnt a pleasant situation and lack of care. People sat in the dark as all the clams died. I am not putting blame on CBA for the clams but I dont remember them stepping up and even taking any partial blame or making any statements about it....please correct me if im wrong.

Stroid;84981 wrote: That really wasnt a pleasant situation and lack of care. People sat in the dark as all the clams died. I am not putting blame on CBA for the clams but I dont remember them stepping up and even taking any partial blame or making any statements about it....please correct me if im wrong.
I have been corrected the problem was addressed by CBA my fault for the false statement.

chicagoman_35;84977 wrote: And, remember the powerbuy CBA had a while back on clams? I dare you to find a better price online anywhere.

Comments like this make me cringe... I don't know about clams, but here is a scenario, I am in the market for live rock, not looking for any specific shape just some live rock, cured/uncured I don't care........ here is a simple math....

Online....
36lbs @ 139.99 + 58.00 shipping(next dayair) - 197.99

Local....
36lbs @ 7.99/lb = 287.64 + 17.25(tax) = 304.90 - 10%ARC = 274.40

Difference is $76.40.....

This is not an opinion, it is just plain facts.... I wouldn't blame anyone going for a better deal, would you? if so, why?

Powerbuys are a nightmare for the local stores. I do commend them for taking such initiatives, but if the overall price is lower in general, there will be no reason for powerbuys. If I am going to spend my money I should have the right to spend it wherever I wanted without having to explain why. Burden is on the business to make themselves attractive to the consumer. The consumer just has to justify his wallet and in most cases, their expenses to their spouse.

Okay... so here's the situation: I spoke with Diane (the owner) today.
One of the best</em> local fish stores in our area is going out of business. We as a club need to support them as much as we can! Not criticize them or "trash" them because they are moving down a different path with their business.
Everyone here has had the opportunity to express their opinions and say what they want to say about something that really doesn't involve them in the first place.
Bottom line here... WE NEED TO HELP THEM, NOT KICK THEM WHEN THEY ARE DOWN!!

So here's what I propse... As a Club, let's all go down THIS SUNDAY and help them out the best that we can, buy something in stock. Even if you just go in and buy some snails. They have marked items in the store down starting at 30% and they may continue to mark down items until they get as much back that they have already put in. In the end, they are still taking a great loss. Thats more than enough discount to make it worth the trip and you can have the comfort of supporting a store that supported us for so many years (dispute the negative that some members brought).

Their regular store hours on Sunday are 12:00pm to 6:00pm. Please take a trip down and help out however you can.

Good idea, Tony. I've always liked that store, prices or not. They have one of the best fish selections in town, IMO.

Back