fuge/skimmer questions

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
I'll be setting up a 72g bowfront and want to put in a fuge and I also need a better skimmer.

So Thiago posted a link to this site which I think others use and I was looking at the fuges. Some of them have a built in skimmer...will they cut it?

This is one that I was looking at:
http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shopping.asp?id=446996&itemid=6283&ct=1&shopperid=62997&merchantid=446996&shop=itemdetail.asp">http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shopping.asp?id=446996&itemid=6283&ct=1&shopperid=62997&merchantid=446996&shop=itemdetail.asp</a>

There are different sizes, not sure what will fit in the cabinet yet.

not really balagan at leaste on what you want to keep i posted the skimmer i have on your onther thread take it into thought just buy a 30gal tank and make your own sump fug if you look at my avater thats how i did mine i should have the same size stand as you just have to put it in before you place the tank in or it wont ever fit

Thanks Victor...I'll re-read your post. I was just curious on these all-in-one combos. I should be able to make my own I guess.

I was thinking to put a door on one side to facilitate moving large items in and out...not sure yet till I actually get the tank/stand in hand.

well if you want your more than welcome to come over and see how i set it up and thats a good idea for a door

Btw, here's a dumb question. I have a Coralife 65, what happens if I hang another Coralife 65 in the sump, providing there is room...will that cause problems?

The problem with fuge/skimmer combos is that you need a relative high flow for the skimmer to do its job, while a fuge needs a slow flow to do its job. The skimmer is going to win out, meaning it's going to have a fast flow through the unit in order for the skimmer to work proberly, so you have to ask yourself exactly how much good is the refugium going do. Putting together and maintaining a refugium is a lot of work for it to do your system little to no good.

i think the the skimmer in the sump, and refugium being seperate is the way to go.

Back