Fun with the PAR meter - T5, Metal Halide and PC numbers

There is a news babe on CNN with that last name... don't ask how I know.

40 % of all Vietnamese have that last name. Almost every other person from that country!

I'm begging for a par meter! I would love to see if the plusrite bulbs are worth anything. I'm on the edge on getting the SE 15K Iweasaki 175 MH....at $74 each that's going to set me back some...:(

But i do have all three kalven ratings of the plusrite brand, 10k 14k and 20k, driven by a M57 Advanced ballast.

JAustin;149548 wrote: I'm begging for a par meter! I would love to see if the plusrite bulbs are worth anything. I'm on the edge on getting the SE 15K Iweasaki 175 MH....at $74 each that's going to set me back some...:(

But i do have all three kalven ratings of the plusrite brand, 10k 14k and 20k, driven by a M57 Advanced ballast.

Haninja had a second set of 175w bulbs that we tested. I am pretty sure that they were Plusrite bulbs? Hanin maybe can confirm this?

The PAR on the Plusrite lamps was a good 40% lower than the readings with the Iwasaki's. I think the Iwasaki lamps would be a much better choice. The Plusrite lamps would make a good set of "spares".

<span style="color: black;"><span style="color: black;">Yep, Plusrite. $30 from eBay (for both)... there is absolutely no comparison to the PAR you will be getting from the Iwasaki. BTW, the Plusrit we tested were 14k.</span>
</span>

Sam if you want to test another T-5 tank I will throw nime in the mix. It is a 55 with 8 54 watt tubes... I am between Grayson and L'ville.

Jason(

Can I get my tank PAR tested by someone? That would be really awesome. I recently got this Nova Extreme Pro fixture and have (6) T-5 stock bulbs. I was thinking about getting an ATI Aquablue and UVL Super Actinic bulbs. I live in Suwanee halfway between 85 and 400. Thanks!

Great posts. I am very interested in tank lighting. Years ago, 35 yrs or more, all we cared about is viewing. I'm seeing the opposite now, though. We keep talking more and more light. That is great for the growth and sustaining of our corals but we do have to make sure that the goal is for us to view our creations too. I like to view my tanks, sometimes, with less light than I have for growth. I shut down some lights just for viewing purposes. I'm trying to compile data and these posts have been outstanding for that, for much of my future lighting projects. Great job guys I really appreciate all this info.

Sammy, Great thread, very interesting. I have a standard 30" Nova Extreme with 1 stock 10K and 1 True actinic both 24w. My tank is only 12" deep. Everything I have seems to be doing great. I have 4 sps and they are within 5" of the surface. The light is probably 1" over the surface. Recently one of my acros has begun to loose it's tissue. Like it's peeling off. I wonder if this could be due to lack of light or too much light. I have been told they cannot get too much light. I have gotten contradictory information regarding placement and that I neeed atleast 4 bulbs. My main question is that if the corals are placed directly under the bulbs, how wil 2 more lamps help as the corals can onlyreally be directly under 2 lamps? I have recently rearranged my rockwork some so Maybe the particular coral in question could be stressed. I got the first one about 4 months ago. While I'm not seeing astronomical growth all polyps fully extend and have not lost any color with the one exeption. I would really like to see some info regarding 24" bulbs.

Back