Giving this filter sock a try.

Is the 200micron good for those of us having fish, corals and inverts? I know some food is small etc and being new to the hobby I don't know alot :).

I guess I could even replace my skimmer felt sock with these?

todd03blown;215254 wrote: Is the 200micron good for those of us having fish, corals and inverts? I know some food is small etc and being new to the hobby I don't know alot :).

I guess I could even replace my skimmer felt sock with these?

there are different pore sizes available. MY MRC sump came with 200 micron felt socks standard. Basically, the smaller the pore size, the more detritus you will trap. 200 seems to be a size that strikes a decent balance between catching stuff and letting food thru. Coral food is mostly less than 200 microns, so if you feed your corals powdered food like stuff like Elos, Reef Chili, or Coral Frenzy, etc, you will get food passing thru the sock so you aren't wasting it.

I think 200 micron pore size isa good diameter to use.

roundman;215276 wrote: i will take 2 if you can hold them till the next meeting

Rawn,

They are being sold to whoever PayPals me first. This keeps it fair to all. If you want to paypal me, I'll send them out to you tomorrow. PM me if you want in.

Just in case anyone is wondering: I am making no money on this. Cost only.

Best,
Dave

All gone! Mailing out tomorrow. All buyers please post how you like/dislike these things and how you feel they perform, especially how easy/difficult they are to clean!
Dave

Dave - I got my socks and have put one on my overflow line. Its been on there for about 30min and I still have microbubbles also water is a little cloudy not sure what that is from. Letting it run for a while longer to see how it does.

Thanks again!!

todd03blown;216364 wrote: Dave - I got my socks and have put one on my overflow line. Its been on there for about 30min and I still have microbubbles also water is a little cloudy not sure what that is from. Letting it run for a while longer to see how it does.

Thanks again!!

Glad you got them. Any filter sock should help with microbubbles, but not knowing your setup, look for other things as well. I'll post a picture of something I did that reduced bubbling in my sump. My water also goes thru about 4 baffles (under/over/under/over) in my sump the reduces them as well. That is actually their purpose.
Dave

dave,
Got the socks today...thanks! Will be trying them on my frag tank first.
Bob

Acroholic;216374 wrote: Glad you got them. Any filter sock should help with microbubbles, but not knowing your setup, look for other things as well. I'll post a picture of something I did that reduced bubbling in my sump. My water also goes thru about 4 baffles (under/over/under/over) in my sump the reduces them as well. That is actually their purpose.
Dave
Thanks Dave, I have a baffle coming from the overflow into the mainsump area. According to elos there is enought baffling and I should not be having these bubbles. Looking forward to your picture to see what you did. I can supply a sump picture as well.

todd03blown;216399 wrote: Thanks Dave, I have a baffle coming from the overflow into the mainsump area. According to elos there is enought baffling and I should not be having these bubbles. Looking forward to your picture to see what you did. I can supply a sump picture as well.

Todd,
Here is the pic I was going to show. I am doing a side by side, felt 200 micron vs. nylon 200 micron bag comaprison. The nylon is on the right, and the felt is on the left.

For your bubbles: take a look at this sump. I have about 900-1000 gallons an hour (that is a guess-I have a 1270 gal/hr return pump) coming thru the filter socks, and the large gray pipe (with white connector) on the right side of the pic is the return from a Reeflo Orca 200 Skimmer (big old boy) fed by a MAG 5 pump (probably 400 gallon/hr). Look how calm the water is with all that flow.

The secret is the pipes entering the water below the water line. See the pipes below the bulkheads in the filter socks? They open up 2-3 inches below the water line, so there is no splashing in the sump. I also have couple small holes drilled into the sides of each pipe above the water line for air escape/pressure equalization, so the dursos in the overflow don't gurgle because of fluctuating overflow water levels, which can happen with pipes in the socks like that. I have the same setup with the return from the Orca skimmer, along with a couple holes above the water line for pressure equalization.

Using the pipes like that really calms the water in the sump down, reduces/eliminates most microbubbles, noise, and splashing and keeps salt creep from getting everywhere.

>

Dave - Here is my current Elos sump setup. I have a felt sock coming off the skimmer and the new sock from you off the overflow line.

You can see in these pictures I don't have alot of turbulence in my sump area.
sump10.jpg
alt="" />
sump11.jpg
alt="" />
sump12.jpg
alt="" />
sump13.jpg
alt="" />

My water still has a slight milkly whiteish look to it since I have added this sock to the overflow. Hopefully in the morning it will be gone.

I assume you removed the paper label on the filter? I wouldn't look to the filter for the whitish tint in your water, however. It is just nylon and plastic. Are you dosing Kalkwasser?

Regarding your pictures. Your Elos 20 may be a hard one to get small bubbles out of, since your sump is so small and you have a skimmer dumping into that small space as well. My sump is 36"x18"x18", so I have a bit more real estate to work with. A filter sock can help reduce microbubbles, but I don't know if it will eliminate them entirely.

Would it be possible to put a prefilter type sponge on the intake of your return pump? That may help as well. Elos uses Eheim pumps, right?
Dave

I actually didnt rinse it off :(; was excited they came in so I put it on. I just took another one and rinsed it off. yes I did removed the labels on all 4 of them. I just put the washed one on. Lets see what happens in the morning.

Dave - I will see if I can get a prefilter sponge for the front of my return pump. Any ideas on where to look? Yes these 2 pumps are Eheim 1000 compact pumps. I have even switch the 2 pumps around hoping one of them was bad but that isnt the case.

Jesse from Elos is also working on a couple things for me as he said the mini's in italy didnt have MB problems that he is aware of.

Back