Giving this filter sock a try.

todd03blown;216630 wrote: I actually didnt rinse it off :(; was excited they came in so I put it on. I just took another one and rinsed it off. yes I did removed the labels on all 4 of them. I just put the washed one on. Lets see what happens in the morning.

Dave - I will see if I can get a prefilter sponge for the front of my return pump. Any ideas on where to look? Yes these 2 pumps are Eheim 1000 compact pumps. I have even switch the 2 pumps around hoping one of them was bad but that isnt the case.

Jesse from Elos is also working on a couple things for me as he said the mini's in italy didnt have MB problems that he is aware of.

Todd, you might look at Aquarium Showcase or PetSmart. In Petsmart, look for foam filter replacements for the Hagen Aquaclear line of FW HOB filters. They are small, high flow, inexpensive, and can be cut and used as a prefilter sponge. If you use a prefilter sponge, however, squeeze it out regularly because you don't want to impede flow into the pump, which could burn it out.

You have a nice system, but some challenges, I'd think regarding the microbubbles because you literally don't have a lot of space in the water flow path to get rid of overflow and skimmer return bubbles.

One other thing: could your return pipe be contributing to the microbubbles getting in the water? Is your return pipe below water level?

Acroholic;216783 wrote: Todd, you might look at Aquarium Showcase or PetSmart. In Petsmart, look for foam filter replacements for the Hagen Aquaclear line of FW HOB filters. They are small, high flow, inexpensive, and can be cut and used as a prefilter sponge. If you use a prefilter sponge, however, squeeze it out regularly because you don't want to impede flow into the pump, which could burn it out.

You have a nice system, but some challenges, I'd think regarding the microbubbles because you literally don't have a lot of space in the water flow path to get rid of overflow and skimmer return bubbles.

One other thing: could your return pipe be contributing to the microbubbles getting in the water? Is your return pipe below water level?

Yep the overflow return line is below the water surface by 2" or so.

Bleedingthought;216946 wrote: Any extra socks? I missed the dead line. :)

Dave, where did you get the mount? I need a couple of those!

The pic of the mount was from the ebay seller's site, not mine. All the
filter socks are sold, but if you post a thread about another buy I bet you could get one going. You only need to buy 25. That would only be 3-5 buyers.

I now have two on my 210, two on my 55 and two on my breeding tanks and all seem to performing well. If some one is going to ordering again let me know, I am looking at those mounts too.
Bob

There are none I saw at the ebay website for the first filter socks I ordered, but Marine Depot sells the mounts under item #BS1121 at $18.99 each.

Might want to check with Sammy at AquaBuys as well. Not sure if he carries these or not.
Dave

Ace of Spades;217326 wrote: n/m thanks. that's pretty much what I'm building with out the 1" pvc mounted to it

You could easily make something like that out of lexan (from home depot). I made something just like it to hold my Tunze Osmolator level sensors so I could just hang it from the sump. Bending the lexan is the hardest part. A dremel with a cutting and sanding wheel would take care of the rest.
Dave

dawgdude;217393 wrote: Bending acrylic is extremely easy. Just mount one part with a clamp, keep the gun atleast 6-10 inches away and slowly heat it up. Go very very slow and just realize that the bends are gonna take a while for each. If you heat it to quick then it bubbles and looks terrible.
Never thought about heating it!:doh:

I went and got me a piece of material to put in front of the return intake and things are better but not 100% bubble free yet. I guess I will get some zip ties and put on my pumps and connections as well.

Status of the new socks in my sump:

I had to remove and rinse the new nylon mesh 200 micron socks for the first time. It was following the usual pattern of rising water level and was about 1/2 inch below the top. This sock needed rinsing out after about 8-9 days, compared to 3-4 for the felt sock.

All I had to do was remove the sock, turn it inside out, hose it out, and place it back in service. No washing in the machine, no soaking in bleach, etc. Took all of two minutes.

I am extremely happy with these new socks. They have performed very well and are much easier to use than the polypropylene felt socks. And I have not seen an increase in the amount of detritus in the sump.

I would recommend rinsing these out a bit more often than I just did, but I wanted to see how long they would go before clogging. I'd think they could become nitrate factories like any other type mechanical filter if you let them sit in the sump for too long, but the ease of cleaning is fantastic with these.

I am happy. Cleaning those felt socks was one of the worst maintenance chores I had to do. Won't have to buy nearly as much bleach either.:D

I got a positive report from Rawn this weekend as well. I want to give these a try. I'll place an order and distribute as Dave did with the first buy if I can get enough participation.

Who's in?

im not going to read all 5 pages and this question might of been answered... but a micron is like an inch under a microscope (much smaller but you get the idea) 5 microns is much smaller then 15 microns etc etc

sperm cells are 5 microns long to give you an idea
1 millimeter = 1000 microns

Back