H2O2 direct target spot treatment?

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
i was just reading along the club threads regarding algae treatment using H2O2. specifically this thread with the bryopsis.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82513&highlight=H2o2">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82513&highlight=H2o2</a>

but has anyone tried to inject H2O2 directly into the tank for algae issues (target spot treatment)? i know this can be done in the FW planted tank, not so sure about SW reef tank though. the algae i'm trying to get rid of is the hair algae. not a lot of them, just a few spots in the tank inside the crevices of the large live rocks. therefore i can't pull the rock out and dunk it in the h2o2 bath. GFO is on the way as we speak.

I wouldn't. It has to be carefully maintained giving you another chore. Also, h202 baths don't get rid of bryopsis. Manual removal with turbo snails would be your best bet to clear up the hair algae.

Dosing H2O2 can treat algae tha's gotten to tank breakdown levels - there's massive threads on several major reefing sites on it - just look for Brandon429. ;)

Personally? I try to avoid system-wide dosing/treatments whenever possible. Several commonly kept critters (skunk & blood cleaner shrimp) and some decorative macroalgae are very sensitive to peroxide and can die from even light tank-wide treatment.

I've had good results with removal & treatment of specific problem-area rockwork in a seperate container of 70(tankwater):30(2% peroxide), but I designed my scape to be easily removed in sections for dipping/cleaning in the first place. I've also recently seen some posts on NR regarding making a "paste" of peroxide and baking soda to apply within the tank - use like Aptaisia-X & siphon it out after 5 minutes. Supposedly this is extremely effective while avoiding harm to sensitive livestock.

Of course in my case I'm sure my blood cleaner shrimp would mob the spot and try to eat the applied paste. :roll:

H2O2 treats hair algae and other kinds but not bryopsis. Most people confuse it with other algae. Bryopysis can be removed manually and by higher magnesium levels which is why some people use Kent Tech-M to raise the levels. I've even tried 6% hydrogen peroxide to remove bryopsis in the past and it didn't budge. It weakens the strands but thats about it. It will regrow back.

I've also tried this on red turf algae but it didn't kill it as well. It turn the red turf algae pink and thats all. I poured the H202 directly on it non-diluted and it still lived.

BulkRate;979058 wrote: Dosing H2O2 can treat algae tha's gotten to tank breakdown levels - there's massive threads on several major reefing sites on it - just look for Brandon429. ;)

Personally? I try to avoid system-wide dosing/treatments whenever possible. Several commonly kept critters (skunk & blood cleaner shrimp) and some decorative macroalgae are very sensitive to peroxide and can die from even light tank-wide treatment.

I've had good results with removal & treatment of specific problem-area rockwork in a seperate container of 70(tankwater):30(2% peroxide), but I designed my scape to be easily removed in sections for dipping/cleaning in the first place. I've also recently seen some posts on NR regarding making a "paste" of peroxide and baking soda to apply within the tank - use like Aptaisia-X & siphon it out after 5 minutes. Supposedly this is extremely effective while avoiding harm to sensitive livestock.

Of course in my case I'm sure my blood cleaner shrimp would mob the spot and try to eat the applied paste. :roll:

i'm not trying to dose my whole tank. i was simply thinking of using one of those syringes that i have and load one of them with H2O2 and spray directly onto the affected area. this morning, i count about 3 spots no bigger than the size of a dime.

MarquiseO;979059 wrote: H2O2 treats hair algae and other kinds but not bryopsis. Most people confuse it with other algae. Bryopysis can be removed manually and by higher magnesium levels which is why some people use Kent Tech-M to raise the levels. I've even tried 6% hydrogen peroxide to remove bryopsis in the past and it didn't budge. It weakens the strands but thats about it. It will regrow back.

I've also tried this on red turf algae but it didn't kill it as well. It turn the red turf algae pink and thats all. I poured the H202 directly on it non-diluted and it still lived.

thanks for the info. but i'm not trying to treat bryopsis. it's just regular hair algae that i have on certain part of the live rock.

hzheng33;979067 wrote:
thanks for the info. but i'm not trying to treat bryopsis. it's just regular hair algae that i have on certain part of the live rock.

Best Advice: Manually remove by hand then add turbo snails. Adding chemicals no matter the byproduct can start issues.

Back