Heater brands

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I’ve almost always used Eheim Jager heaters but with my current build they’re just too big. I can’t fit a dang 150w in my sump. I’ve been looking at finnex and they seem to be a bit smaller and just as reliable. Anyone have any recommendations for a reliable, compact heater?

I use at least 2 smaller heaters due to less likelihood of a problem being lethal. I only use Eheim Jagers as they’ve never failed me.

I use at least 2 smaller heaters due to less likelihood of a problem being lethal. I only use Eheim Jagers as they’ve never failed me.
I really wish I could run Jagers but with their size the only place they’d fit would be in my overflow.

Not trying to hijack the thread but question for the Eheim Jager users.

Do y’all use it with a controller or just on its own?

I’ve had the hardest time keeping a stable temperature in my tank with just the Jager itself. Granted I’m running it in the back of a nano, AIO. Might just be asking too much of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In saltwater tanks, I’ve always ran them with a controller and even then they take some time to dial in. I use my apex to have it with 1.5degrees so it’s always kicking on and off this time of year. In the summer it don’t run.

In saltwater tanks, I’ve always ran them with a controller and even then they take some time to dial in. I use my apex to have it with 1.5degrees so it’s always kicking on and off this time of year. In the summer it don’t run.

Got it, thanks. To answer your original question, I’m planning an upgrade from Jager to Inkbird + Titanium (probably BRS) bundle in the near future. Just haven’t personally used yet to recommend for your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offbrands: I have a Hyyger titanium with an external controller (bundle on Amazon) that has worked well. The 200W is compact and fit into my 20g long sump when the eheim would not.

I am moving to 2 200 watt BRS titanium’s for the 80 gallon because a single 200W isn’t enough for the winter temp drop at my house, about 62 degrees at night. I bought the InkBird separately to save a few dollars.

I really wish I could run Jagers but with their size the only place they’d fit would be in my overflow.
My dad ran his in the over flows for years. ..the standard marineland type overflow

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

2 ehiem 200 watt heaters for a 125 gallon. You can run in the overflow but if the return pump shuts down it will be just heating the overflow. I have mine set through my apex to turn off in case of emergency. An inquiry can be added for an extra fail safe. Mine usually run within a half a degree or so. The dips you see are water changes. I recently dialed it back to 78.5 which according to other thermometers reads about 1 degree hot...so really 77.5

Screenshot_20211126-084158_APEX Fusion.jpg

Some of my worst reefing crashes were temp related so this is how I’ll set-up my next build as a failsafe based on the BRS videos. I have my 2 x eheim in the display and 2 x in the sump. One display and one sump heater are connected to an Inkbird set at 76 and the heaters are set at 78ish. That way if the inkbird failed on then the heater would theoretically catch itself. This is connected to the Apex with it always on unless the temp is over 78. The reason I have the Inkbird in the mix is that BRS has seen an increased failure rate in EB832 due to the constant on and off for heaters. It’s rough on the relays. Then I’ll setup a mirrors setup on a secondary EB832 but with it always off unless the temp is below 76. That way this setup gets very very little wear and tear while the primary setup does the work. Every year or two I’ll plan to replace one set of heaters and retire the old ones so none are over 2 years old. Compared to most things they are pretty cheap by comparison and a critical life support component.

Back