Help DIY Ca Reactor

harleyguy

Market
Reaction score
I really want to make my own Ca reactor and media reactor but I really have no idea where to start... well I guess I could order some acrylic tubing, but even then I don't know what diameter to get. I'm sure someone on here has done something like this... Does anyone have any plans? Or (better yet) is anyone willing to help me?

Thanks,

Shane

Hope this helps......
a>

This is the one I made and use. It works great and cost about $100.00 for materials.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
298983=15573-DIY Calcium Reactor.jpg
>
298983=15573-DIY Calcium Reactor.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DIY Calcium Reactor.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

City Plumbing in Cumming, but they are all over Atlanta. HD and Lowes has them but not the clear ones only solid white ones.

Another great plumbing project by Tracy - wish I had that ability.
My woodworking seems pretty must useless in this hobby, LOL

Tracy,
any step by step how-to on this?

Robb

Robb, I'd be more than happy to help you build one of this. It's not to difficult, just give me a call and I'll walk you through it or if anyone wants to build one we could get together one Saturday and have a DIY Calcium Reactor Workshop. :)

grimreefer;299014 wrote: we could get together one Saturday and have a DIY Calcium Reactor Workshop. :)

I'd be up for that. How much did that acrylic cost? That's really the main piece that I can't obtain here.

I actually found a clear one at HD. They may stock them at some locations. I think it was $20.

Jeff, I think I have an extra one of those clear housings with the 'lid' you can have, but I will have to look.

I'd be up for that too,

not next weekend - but anytime thereafter.
Beer will be on me.

(And I'll have some micro clean up crew for Tracy)

Sounds good. March 14th we'll do a workshop. I'll get a materials list together and post it here.

Ok, well I won't be able to make it up for that, working. I have to know 3 weeks in advance to get off work, lol. Hopefully we're hiring someone else soon, so I'll have more flexibility.

Derek, I'll be in town this Saturday for the poker game, so I may give you a call. I'll bring that Aquasun bulb, too.

Let me try that again.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
299033=15574-100_0757.jpg
>
299033=15574-100_0757.jpg
class="gc-images" title="100_0757.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Tracy, Nice job! How much media does that hold? Does the water flow up or down through the media?

I have built a couple of DJ88's design with a couple mods. The biggest of which are adding a pH probe port and getting rid of the venturi which isn't needed anyway.

It holds about half a gal of media (I guess about 4 or 5 lbs). You can add additional chambers if you need them. The water flows up from the bottom through the media to the top.

You could essentially make this the same was as those DIY kalk reactors and add a spray bar in it....just make the out port the in add a piece of CPVC drill holes and bam, you have a spray bar ca reactor. Now, as to what pump to use....most spraybar reactors use a pressure rated one, like the small panworld....I'm sure you could get away with a MAG or similar tho because it's a smaller unit.

Is this the housing?

http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=150850">http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=150850</a>

Robb

looks like it-kinda pricey that one, though-interesting reads-I'm watching this thread-and maybe make it to the DIY workshop-lol

Thanks for all the help... I was hoping to make a more "traditional" reactor... The 6" and 8" acrylic tube isn't very expensive online... I might try and build Melevsreef reactor, but where do you get acrylic around here???

Thanks,

Shane

Back