Help Me Spend $500.00 ...my Wife Doesnt Know About!

blind1993;155149 wrote: i would get
http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-ts-150brneedle-wheel-proteinbrskimmer-1937.html">http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-ts-150brneedle-wheel-proteinbrskimmer-1937.html</a>[/QUOTE]

So if I get a skimmer like this, (which does not look like it would work with my filter) I would build one of these sump deals from a glass aquarium and put it in one of the dividers?
I thik I need to research the sump thing?
Thanks!

Big D;155180 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">You can get one that will work with it, an external skimmer. I'd suggest a DAS, a Reef Octopus, or you might want to look into some of the newer models coming out. </span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">As far as tank size for the sump, just measure what you've got as far as room and work from there. The baffles are pretty easy to cut out of acrylic that's available at HD, or you can have a glass shop make you some to size. Either way, you just silicone them in at the right spots to make your chambers.</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Big D</span>

If I move forward with the sump...would an external skimmer do me any good? Might as well get one designed for a sump right?

BASSCYN;155179 wrote: By the way...really nice set up you have there. Like the moonlights.
thanks my set-up is simple yet nice and CHEAP(spent about $550 total)

BASSCYN;155185 wrote: So if I get a skimmer like this, (which does not look like it would work with my filter) I would build one of these sump deals from a glass aquarium and put it in one of the dividers?
I thik I need to research the sump thing?
Thanks!

a sump is simple to build, even i can make one and i am in 8th grade.

here is a little info

have a small section to get the incoming water from the tank

get the foot print of the skimmer and make a section of the sump large enough to accomodate that.

then if you want a place for live rock and macro alage make another baffle

then have a return section.

Big D;155181 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">I only say this because if you don't, you'll look back one day and say "****nn, why didn't I listen". :yes: </span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Seriously, most folks that have had them at one time or another wish they didn't... mainly due to their aggresion.</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Big D</span>

Is that all damsels? Or just this particular type?

BASSCYN;155189 wrote: If I move forward with the sump...would an external skimmer do me any good? Might as well get one designed for a sump right?

if you want

specs of stand alone skimmer
pros: more space in sump
can be mounted anywhere

cons: if the skimmer overflows it will ruin your floor
expensive
harder to set-up IMO

BASSCYN;155192 wrote: Is that all damsels? Or just this particular type?
ALL if you want cheap hardy fish get chromis i just got 5 from petland alpharetta and they are really cool and add a ton of movement.

BASSCYN;155192 wrote: Is that all damsels? Or just this particular type?
ALL, but it depends on fish to fish.
if you want cheap hardy fish get chromis i just got 5 from petland alpharetta and they are really cool and add a ton of movement.

tnyga;155176 wrote: Soon as you get your new "toy" she'll know about the 500 trust me lol

I dunno. It all kind a looks the same to her. If its a new light?...maybe. But I am safe with anything underneath.
I may be kidding myself.

Get a $500 Live Aquaria, Cappucino Bay, Einstein, Saltwater City (etc.) giftcard *for your wife* (wink-wink-nudge-nudge) and say "honey, you get to buy some things for the new system."

Win-Win situation.

:)

Barbara;155247 wrote: If I were you I'd research the skimmers, lights and sumps. Melevsreef.com is a great place to learn about different styles of sumps.

For the sump, you need to decide if you are going to use part of the sump as a refugium. Many of us have refugiums as they are a place to grow beneficial algae, which will cut down, or compete for the nutrients that cause bad algae to grow (specifically, the dreaded hair algae!). If you have a refugium, you'll have to set up a way to light it for at least 7-8 hours per day to keep the beneficial algae alive.

If you go without a refugium, you'll have more room for the skimmer section and return section, which will be a plus in your set-up. (There's not much room under a 46G bowfront tank usually.)

As for lights, what you have now are "power compacts" (aka PC). They are perfectly fine for fish only, and also for softies, and also for some LPS. I have PCs only on my 20G in my bedroom, and all I have in there are 1 fish, zoas, xenia, kenya tree, mushrooms (all softies), frogspawn and a plate coral (LPS, or Large Polyp Stony). If you want more colorful corals, and also if you want SPS (small polyp stony), or the things that look like little colored sticks, you need better lighting. Your choices are Metal Halides (high energy consumption, but you can't beat the light they put out), or t-5s (a little more robust than your PCs). Or you could find a kit with a combination of lights.

For skimmers, I am an ASM fan. However, I've seen so many Octopus users on here, and from what I can tell, the Octopus is a little cheaper than the ASM, I would probably try one out if I was on a tight budget and needed more than just a skimmer. Definitely buy on-line, or used on this forum or Reef Central, but you should research to understand the value of each item. I did a lot of research on the protein skimmers before I purchased mine, and I was very informed when I finally made my decision.

Good luck with your choices and keep us posted on your progress!

Ahh...thank you for speaking English. I have not mastered all the LPS...PC...ASM...SPS lingo yet. This is very helpful in it self. I was just doing a little measureing and surfing around for sumps. Its a <u>75</u> gallon bowfront. I can comfortably place a 20 gallon long tank underneath. I would definetly like to include a refugium.
Looks like for now...I am going to spend my $$$ under the tank. Looks like $500.00 will fit quite nicely under there. I am pretty handy DIY. I think I can pick up a used tank for maybe $50. Spend $200-$300 on a skimmer. The rest looks like DIY acrylic dividers and a return pump. I might have a couple of bucks left over for a couple of power heads. Hey...check this out. Whatdayathink?
a>

UH-OH! Now a have a real problem. I just checked my email. My inbox is loaded with all these posts. And you know the title. How do I stop the emails??? I went to my control panel...but I dont see an option to eliminate the generation of an email reply to my thread!

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!:bash2:

Busted!!!

I know how to stop the PM's from going to your email. Charge for this knowledge is a mere $500...

Linda Lee;155282 wrote: Get a $500 Live Aquaria, Cappucino Bay, Einstein, Saltwater City (etc.) giftcard *for your wife* (wink-wink-nudge-nudge) and say "honey, you get to buy some things for the new system."

Win-Win situation.

:)

That sound good and all. But not all the gals are as understanding as you Miss Linda. To my wife this is just another hobby for me to sink money into. Just like the golf clubs, the fishing rods , the camera...you get the idea. the only reason I have this baby at all is my son wanted one for his birthday last November. So she agreed to it. We put it in his bedroom. He loves it. But the noise kept him awake (go figure) So we moved it downstairs.
Now its a father son project!!!:yes:

Heres a sump diagram to make a 29 gallon but it gives you the basic idea...Were to put the chambers. Just get some plexi glass cut to fit into a walmart tank..
29gsumpzu6.jpg
alt="" /></a>

How about you give me $250 for not telling your wife you have the $?:shades:

Definitely a skimmer, like everyone has stated. You can pick up a inexpensive one here or ARC if you keep your eye out. Consider upgraded lighting so that you can keep any type of coral. If the wife asks just tell her you got a great deal or someone donated it to you since you are a newby!

Every piece of equipment I add costs ~50 dollars. At least that's what I tell her :).

FutureInterest;155403 wrote: Every piece of equipment I add costs ~50 dollars. At least that's what I tell her :).

Remember when we did the T.o.T. and you had the ARC forum projected up onto that huge screen in your living room?

I should sneak over and put this thread up on your wall.

(Busted!)

:tongue2:

Back