Help Me Spend $500.00 ...my Wife Doesnt Know About!

purpleGORILLA;155998 wrote: I have the ASM g3 on my 240 gallon. I love it. If you do get the G2, I can show you how to do mesh mod and gate valve. If your sump has enough space.

Am I better off getting an external skimmer that would not take up so much room in the sump? I like the g2 but it will take quite a bit of space in my 20 gallon sump. Then again...I may not have room for the external one either.

Whadayathink?

I have used the Aqua Medic Turbo flotor 1000 Protein Skimmer on a few of my tanks and have loved it.
<u><span style="color: #22229c;">
itemView.php

LiveRock27;156157 wrote: I have used the Aqua Medic Turbo flotor 1000 Protein Skimmer on a few of my tanks and have loved it.
<u><span style="color: #22229c;">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~protein_skimmers_aqua_medic_turboflotor_t1000.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~protein_skimmers_aqua_medic_turboflotor_t1000.html</span></u></a>[/QUOTE]

Hmm. What do you think about the "hang on" model they offer? That would allow me more refugium room right?
Thanks for the advice.

That is the one that I have used on my sump and it worked great. Infact I am going to use it again on my new setup I have started. You can probably find a better deal than that one. I just wanted to show you what I was talking about.

if you want an external this is a good one http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=73">http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=73</a>, i think it is external.

DAS skimmers are really nice just ask victor.

Come to think about it, I might have a Turbofloto 1000 Multi for sale here pretty soon depending on what Skimmer I go with on my 40 gallon. If you can wait for a few weeks for me to decide.

IMHO, If you have the space, run the skimmer in sump. The first time your cup overflows while you are at work, you will be glad that you put the skimmer in the sump. The turboflotor can be run in sump or hang on back (I have also run it totally external too with OK results).

Yeah...maybe Brandon. I will let you know. The turbofloto 1000 has a lot of good reviews. And pretty reasonably priced as well...even new. So whats the deal with the pump upgrade to the Ocean Runner 2700? is this something I need to consider?

The 2700 is the same pump as the 2500 (I believe) just in the needlewheel. My plans were, if I were to keep this skimmer, to mesh mod the pump anyways so it would not make that much of a difference. To tell you the truth a 2500 with a mesh mod would prob be better then a 2700 without. If not, you could always order a replacement impeller (or I think I have an replacement needlewheel impeller laying around here) and convert back. Honestly, If you were buying new and had the few extra bucks, I would order the 1000 with the 2700 pump. If you were buying off of e-bay or elsewhere, I would not really worry about it.

Like Brandon said you can run the Turbo in or out of the sump and infact I might run it in my sump this time because I did have an over flow or two, but luckily it was in the stand and not near any wires or outlets. I have the 2500 pump, but have not done the Mesh Mod (althought I might now that you brought it up Brandon). Just from my experience I think it is a great skimmer and pulls alot of skimmate and you can't beat the price.

BASSCYN;155130 wrote: Everyone!
I am a newbie here and really appreciate all the expert advice I receive from this forum. I have an oportunity to spend $500.00 (on-line purchases only) for anything I want. Pretty cool eh? I have decided to invest in this... my new hobby. What I need from you guys is advice on what I am in the greatest need of.

<u>WHAT I HAVE</u>
Got this used.
<ul>
<li>75gal bow front and stand</li>
<li>Jebo reflector with 4-55w (2-blue 2-white)?? It has a little duct tape holding it together.Works fine though.</li>
<li>Wet/dry filter w/skimmer. Origionally had bio-balls that I beleive were giving me nitrate problems. I replace with live rock and red gracillia algae. So far so good.</li>
<li>Plenty of live sand and rock.</li>
<li>1 tang...1 damsel</li>
</ul>This is currently a fish only set-up. She has been up and running since November. Crashed in January (rookie) ...back on her feet now.

<u>WHAT I WANT</u>
I want to slowly turn this in to more than just fish only. I want those cool corals like you guys! But the one thing I <u>have</u> learned in my vast 4 months of experience... is patience. I am very content for now with fish only. But if some new equipment now can put me in better shape when I am ready...show me the way!!!

I will do my best to provide more specific information on my equipment if that would be helpful. As soon as I figure out how to post photos I will load some.

So...what do I need? Super cool lighting? Power heads?
Is this wet/dry gig gonna do it?

:thanks:

I just found out that I can use eBay to make my "special" on=line purchase. So if ther is any good used stuff...that will work too.

purpleGORILLA;155998 wrote: I have the ASM g3 on my 240 gallon. I love it. If you do get the G2, I can show you how to do mesh mod and gate valve. If your sump has enough space.

Would a G-3 be too much for my 75? They are not much more $$$ than a G-2 and would put me in good shape on down the road if I went with a larger set-up.

I would say to get the g3. Planning ahead is a very good idea, just as long as you have the space! Even if you don't upgrade, its always to be skimming more than than to be less. :D

purpleGORILLA;157149 wrote: I would say to get the g3. Planning ahead is a very good idea, just as long as you have the space! Even if you don't upgrade, its always to be skimming more than than to be less. :D

+1

Back