How accurate is an API brand nitrate test?

Ringo[emoji768 wrote: ;966160]They aren't the best by a longshot. But they aren't as bad as the Internet makes them seem.

It's like driving on bald tires. They are are fine on dry pavement......until the blowout. :)

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

I happen to have an API nitrate kit that was given to me as a gift. No, they don't hate me lol they just didn't know any better. Mine works fine for "ballpark readings". I usually use it and if it reads 0 then I will use my much better Red Sea test kit for a more exact level. That way I use the dang thing up and don't waste a more expensive test in the rare case that nitrates are over 3.

Sorry, but it sounds like you either have a bad kit, are using it wrong, or have used it wrong in the past. Time for a new and better one like everyone else has said.

DavidinGA;966202 wrote: So no one believes my nitrates could just be low? Lol

You stated that you have only performed 3 or 4 water changes in a "1+" year time period, and that you have been using low quality tests. That is probably leading most to believe that your tests are inaccurate. You will know when you get a quality test kit, or have your water tested by a reputable LFS that uses quality test kits.

Most would probably agree that 3 to 4 water changes in a year or more time period is not nearly enough. I personally try to perform 10% or more water changes weekly, but at a bare minimum at least 25% monthly (bare, bare minimum). You are usually asking for trouble doing larger, less frequent water changes. I have personally been much more successful when doing smaller, more frequent water changes.

Back