How Often To Replace lights

I'm a little late in this discussion, but my opinion is only to replace actinic lights when they burn out - that may be 6 months or 5 years. The reason is that actinic lights are only there for your benefit, not the corals'; no significant increase in PAR is added, and no additional photosynthesis will occur from the blue range of the spectrum. Use a PAR meter if you don't believe me.

We replace bulbs on aquaria because there are slight color shifts over time, and the corals will get less and less available light for photosynthesis. Since actinics aren't adding to that, there's no reason to change them out until they burn out or you don't like the look anymore - the corals won't know the difference or grow any better / worse, and you'll just be throwing away good bulbs.

As for the HQI, I'd replace it every 6-9 months. HQI bulbs run hotter than SE bulbs, and thus will see the end of their useful life faster. Of course, the best way to tell is to measure your PAR, and when you've lost a certain amount (say 10-15%), replace the bulb.

Thanks Chris thats what i thought also about the actinics. that they were just for looks. better late than never

Sonjay Joshi did a presentation at MACNA this year ooking at the degredation of the bulbs over the course time. Halides can last longer than people let them (usually 14-18 months) without much change in output and color.

This is what I remember.

I remember reading that on RC Kevin. Has he published an data to back this yet? Did he test multiple bulbs and ballast combinations to get hsi results?

He tested a lot of different bulbs. He tested halides and florescents. I don't know if he has published his readings yet. you can check reefkeeping.com

thanks you guys for the help i think im gonna go with replacing the HQI's every 9 months and the Actinics whenever they die or when i can actually tell a difference.

One thing you DEFINATELY want to do is stagger when you change each bulb... the major increase in light can burn your coral.

Hey FWIW I run an Aqualight Pro 150W w 2 x65 W actinics over my 58G. The Phoenix 14K DE HQI is a good bulb for bringing out color and I get good growth also. My softies and LPS look much nicer versus when I had a 10K bulb.

thanks darren thats what i want to get but r u runnin the actinics as well or did u change them to something different?

Back