Hydor Koralia powerheads

james s_

Market
Reaction score
Anyone seen these yet? Ive ordered a couple from Dr. Fosters. They have a pretty big thread on Reef Central about them.I will be trying them out this weekend.They look pretty promising and low wattage.I bought the Koralia 4's 1200 gph.

heres a link to them.....
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15955&inm=1&N=2004+22788+2035">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15955&inm=1&N=2004+22788+2035</a>

heres a link to the thread at RC.
[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=983152">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=983152</a>

yeah i hve been reading up on these from what i hear they are great for the price just a little bulky tho

Maroons15 wrote: They look like they move alot of water kind of like the Seio's do.

I hope to find out this weekend. i also bought 2 seio 2600's so i will be able to compare them to each other.Then im going to try the seio controller on both powerheads and see how they perform.Im just trying to find a cheap alternative to the tunze products. Ive been using modded maxijets for over a year now and have been pleased with them,but im a bit of a equipment junky so i decided it was time to try something different.

I have a couple coming in Monday as well. Figured they are about the same price as a modded MJ, look nicer, less work but they only pull about half the water as a maxed out MJ. Still a good deal compared to a Tunze.

Cameron wrote: I have a couple coming in Monday as well. Figured they are about the same price as a modded MJ, look nicer, less work but they only pull about half the water as a maxed out MJ. Still a good deal compared to a Tunze.

What is a moded Maxi Jet?

Maroons15 wrote: What is a moded Maxi Jet?

Here ya go...

a>

Nice WOW thats a BIG difference. Do they move more water or is it still in a small stream? Also would two of these be too much for a 75 gallon and are they pretty big?

Maroons15 wrote: Nice WOW thats a BIG difference. Do they move more water or is it still in a small stream? Also would two of these be too much for a 75 gallon and are they pretty big?

they flow just like a tunze from what ive read.Ive never owned a tunze so i cant speak from personal experience but ive been using the kits on my mj 600's and i will say that they are pretty awesome.They flow much more,and the current is spread out in a wider area.Instead of a direct flow from a stock MJ.

As far as using them on a 75 gallon im not sure,but i use just one on my 46,i have another kit that i just keep as a spare just in case the one breaks.You could probably get away with 2-3 600's in your tank or maybe 2 of the 900-1200 MJ's.

Maroons15 wrote: Ok one no two more questions, Are they easy to build? And are they pretty big?

Very easy to build and i would estimate maybe twice the size of the factory Maxijet. They also have magnet mounts,they will make the MJ stick out quite a bit more though.I bought my kits from an individual when they first came out before that website was started,so i didnt have the magnet mount option,but they look pretty cool.

Sweet once I get some money i'll get one or two. I already have four Stock MJ in my 75 but two of them are blowing behind the rocks on both ends. Should I just put the Kit for only the MJ 1200 on both of the one's in the front? Maybe I should start my own thread for this. I don't mean to hijack this......

They are a great deal for the money! I have one tunze6060 in my 75 and I am thinking of adding a modded mj to it.

Maroons15 wrote: Sweet once I get some money i'll get one or two. I already have four Stock MJ in my 75 but two of them are blowing behind the rocks on both ends. Should I just put the Kit for only the MJ 1200 on both of the one's in the front? Maybe I should start my own thread for this. I don't mean to hijack this......

Yeh i would use the kits on the ones in the front,that way they will flow into each other and cause some random flow throughout the tank. You could also try putting the mj's in the corners and point them towards the front center of the tank and see how that does.

46bfinga wrote: Yeh i would use the kits on the ones in the front,that way they will flow into each other and cause some random flow throughout the tank. You could also try putting the mj's in the corners and point them towards the front center of the tank and see how that does.

How could I get them to stay in the corners?

Sprayin70 wrote: Do you think the Tunzes are ugly and to big?

IMO only downfall that Tunze has is the expense.They are just as big and ugly as all the rest of the options out there. Its hard to beat the look of a closed loop.

Sprayin70 wrote: Do you think the Tunzes are ugly and to big?

I have only seen them once in use and that was actually Ton'y tank. His tank was so nice that you really didn't notice the Tunzes. I think on a 75 they would be too big. IMO.........

Maroons15 wrote: How could I get them to stay in the corners?

with the magnet mounts,you can swivel the powerhead to anywhere you want them.without the magnet mounts i would just mount them on the sides and point them towards each other.

Back