Hydor Koralia powerheads

Showtime305 wrote: Sounds like a good idea. It would seem like this would create a power issue with powerheads. Is it safe to assume you have tested this or spoke to someone that has used this setup? Do you know how far apart the plugs are on the Seio controller?

I personally have not done it,but several people on RC has claimed that they have.One guy was saying that he was running two powerheads off of each plug.He said he was running one seio and one Maximod on each outlet.The plugs are right next to each other on the controller.

The seio 2600 are 55 watts.A guy on RC allready modded a Koralia 4 with a larger prop and the most it would draw is 15 Watts.So you should be able to run atleast 8 Koralia 4's off of a seio controller based on wattage,but im sure that the controller could probably handle more then 55watts per outlet.

One thing that I don't like about the Seio Controller is the fact that it doesn't have a night mode. If you place the controller on a timer so it turns off at night, the wavemaker settings are lost. So, far I'm not a huge fan of that controller. I'm sure something better will come out that's not the price of the Tunze systems.

<span style="color: black;">I'm running my Seio powerheads on my RK2 power head cycle right now but I really have a problem with them turning on and off several times per day. I spoke to one of the guys at Digital Aquatics about this issue a few months back and they decided to add a night mode to the Sump/Skimmer setting. This should allow powerheads like the Seio, Hydor and others that don't start well to be ran on the RK2 without dealing with the clanking sounds of it turning on and off while having the convenience of the night and feed modes.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
Now if they can just get this darn update push out, I would be much happier.

I am running my Hydors on the multi-timer setting because of the "clank". I run both in the mid day with the left starting a bit early and the right finishing a bit late. The Seio is on a wavemaker setting close to the middle. Don't know how good that setup is, but none of the fish seem to be complaining.

You would think there would be some AC powered motor variable speed controller out there in some other world such as ceiling fans. If I were to start my own aquarium system, I would create an entire line that ran of 12V DC. If 50% or more of your devices ran off that, you would save a lot on the electric bill that is for sure. Fans, lighting, pumps and heaters could all be run off of a single power source. On top of that, AC/DC power converters in the 12V range are super cheap thanks to personal computers. Varying a DC fan would be too easy which is why I suppose Tunze and other high end systems use DC.

Back