I think I messed up.

SaltyVixen;1040680 wrote: Oh and I started running gfo as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

kill gfo til you have a solid understanding measurement of how your po4 increases with feeding and your livestock.

does it increase .1 a day? .25 a day, etc

once po4 hits .03 slowly let gfo in. then monitor how much it is slowing the increase. and adjust as needed.

unfortunately gfo overdose is basically the same as no phosphate for life to flourish. (pun intended)

i had to dose 20ml flourish this past weekend to get .005 ppm po4.
do NOT dose like i did. i have a 300 gal volume, and i still had to use gfo to adjust it. best to just turn it off and monitor

My phosphate was running at .50ppm before adding gfo and I was having bad algae

Ok, one more issue the wc waters ph is soooo low. After adding some fresh saltwater to the tank the ph dropped to 7.8

SaltyVixen;1040684 wrote: Ok, one more issue the wc waters ph is soooo low. After adding some fresh saltwater to the tank the ph dropped to 7.8

"So low" as in 0.2 below what it was before? I wouldn't say that's very bad at all.

No the saltwater after being mixed doesn't even read. I can't tell you what it is. It lower than 7.4. It dropped the tanks ph by .2 when I added it

Does it take awhile for the ph of fresh mixed water to come up?

SaltyVixen;1040693 wrote: Does it take awhile for the ph of fresh mixed water to come up?

whats the alk of that "fresh" batch?

did you warm the water and mix? could be get ro water on the top and saline water on the bottom. you gotta mix up and down and churn it like the puppy it is. or throw a powerhead in there.

what brand salt do you have?

nevermind. you already put it in the tank.... lol ok. thats why we use the hydrometer several times.

7.8 isnt bad for your low alk.

unless your ph is less than 7.5 i wouldnt worry about it.

we need to worry about mag first, alk second, then calcium in that order. ph is on the "nice to haves". if you want your ph to increase just increase powerheads and open windows.

lets start off the right way...

what is the temp of the water and the sg?

for example. my tank water is 78 degrees at 1.025

I'm using a powerhead but not heating the water up it isn't that much lower than 78 cause my house stays hot

SaltyVixen;1040700 wrote: I'm using a powerhead but not heating the water up it isn't that much lower than 78 cause my house stays hot

what does the hydrometer read?

test 5-10 times and make sure no bubbles are on the swing arm. front and back

SaltyVixen;1040705 wrote: The regular kind.

if it is a bag itll be purple and white OR orange and white. if it is a bucket itll be the same.

im assuming it is a purple

My theory Is that the hydrometer is off by reading higher than the actual specific gravity. Cause when I add more salt so the mix reads 1.026 it has a ph of 8.0

SaltyVixen;1040707 wrote: My theory Is that the hydrometer is off by reading higher than the actual specific gravity. Cause when I add more salt so the mix reads 1.026 it has a ph of 8.0

if ph grew corals....

what color is the salt bag or bucket?

I don't have the box it came in cause it was given to me but it's not reef crystals

SaltyVixen;1040709 wrote: I don't have the box it came in cause it was given to me but it's not reef crystals

ok. so that is the purple.

keep it at 1.022 for now. we have to get you to a "reef level"

do you have epsom salts?

Back