I think I messed up.

SaltyVixen;1040711 wrote: No

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

k we can do one of two things.

you can buy reef salt. or we can redneck build you a reef tank by you getting

epsom salt no additives
baking soda
limewater left?

Ok well redneck sounds fun lmao I still have 3 whole bags of IO salt. I have a whole bad of pickling lime and I have baking soda lol

SaltyVixen;1040714 wrote: Ok well redneck sounds fun lmao I still have 3 whole bags of IO salt. I have a whole bad of pickling lime and I have baking soda lol

grab some pure epsom salts from a walgreens or cvs or publix. make sure it doesnt hve any additives. dont need you getting lavender or clean linen and wondering why everything is perishing

Lol ok on a side not I've honestly never used the " good " salt mixes. How much do they generally cost maybe I can swing some

even instant ocean has a kH level much higher than 5... it must either be a bad batch of salt, or it isn't mixed well.

I think maybe a bad batch cause I'm using a powerhead and letting it mix for awhile. Till its all or mostly dissolved.

SaltyVixen;1040716 wrote: Lol ok on a side not I've honestly never used the " good " salt mixes. How much do they generally cost maybe I can swing some

IO reef crystals is like maybe 5-10 bucks more than regular

SaltyVixen;1040718 wrote: I think maybe a bad batch cause I'm using a powerhead and letting it mix for awhile. Till its all or mostly dissolved.

think i would go the "safer" route.

the redneck way will involve some math and patience.

Crew;1040717 wrote: even instant ocean has a kH level much higher than 5... it must either be a bad batch of salt, or it isn't mixed well.

glad someone chimed in. im not familiar with IO regular

SaltyVixen;1040721 wrote: Ok

ill help whichever route you go.

just warning you. you better have some free time

SaltyVixen;1040727 wrote: Lol I'm going to get some reef crystals

you have a hospital tank? or a place to get the livestock out? 50% change isnt going to fix this. It'll need to be 80-100% or as close to that as we can.

Your fish and inverts will be fine in that water.... corals will die a pale death

I can set up a 20g while I drain and refill the tank

SaltyVixen;1040729 wrote: I can set up a 20g while I drain and refill the tank

yeah... then use your old water and xfer it to the other tank. while you drain the main one.

make sure it is the OLD tank water. Not the new batch.

Remember... you estimated 1.026@~78 degrees with an IO hydrometer.... that is close to 1.029 to a refractometer.

rather reduce shock and we can correct with your new salt with a drip acclimation procedure. (maybe a little faster if your livestock are hearty)

SaltyVixen;1040718 wrote: I think maybe a bad batch cause I'm using a powerhead and letting it mix for awhile. Till its all or mostly dissolved.

Mostly dissolved isn't going to cut it. Give it at least a few hours to mix. Overnight would be prefered.

Crew;1040717 wrote: even instant ocean has a kH level much higher than 5... it must either be a bad batch of salt, or it isn't mixed well.

She's mixing it at a low salinity, assuming the hydrometer is correct.

Any of the main brands are good salts. You really can't go wrong. What's more important is how you prepare the salt

Once you get it home, make sure you really mix it around. During shipping, a process called granular convection occurs and your salt is definitely not mixed evenly. Think of it like this: After hours of vibrations and bumps during shipping, all of the smaller particles will sink to the bottom while the larger particles will rise to the surface. If the smaller particles are things like calcium carbonate, while the larger particles are the salt crystals themselves, you will definitely get a varied mix from batch to batch.

Personally, I like to roll my buckets of salt around in the garage for a minute or two to give them a nice stir.

Ringo®;1040732 wrote: She's mixing it at a low salinity, assuming the hydrometer is correct.

She is using an IO swing arm.

They are calibrated at 60 degrees. That means if the swing arm stated 1.022 or 1.023 she is actually at 1.025-1.026.

Hydrometers only get a bad rap for people reading the swing arm as gospel, and not that the excited atoms at a higher temperature reduces the density of the solution and affects the arm's "gravity".

here is a link to calculate

a>

Crew;1040733 wrote: Any of the main brands are good salts. You really can't go wrong. What's more important is how you prepare the salt

Once you get it home, make sure you really mix it around. During shipping, a process called granular convection occurs and your salt is definitely not mixed evenly. Think of it like this: After hours of vibrations and bumps during shipping, all of the smaller particles will sink to the bottom while the larger particles will rise to the surface. If the smaller particles are things like calcium carbonate, while the larger particles are the salt crystals themselves, you will definitely get a varied mix from batch to batch.

Personally, I like to roll my buckets of salt around in the garage for a minute or two to give them a nice stir.

051378010023famD.jpg
alt="" /> problem is this is the salt she is using.

http://baliga.systemsbiology.net/drupal/education/sites/baliga.systemsbiology.net.drupal.education/files/AdvancedPrep-ArtificialSeawaterAnalysis.pdf">http://baliga.systemsbiology.net/drupal/education/sites/baliga.systemsbiology.net.drupal.education/files/AdvancedPrep-ArtificialSeawaterAnalysis.pdf</a>

page 3

1= IO
4 = RC

interesting that [B]mag & calcium[/B] are virtually the same... im guessing

bad batch,
hydrometer is off,
RO water during mixing when mag was tested (if it was sloppy)

maybe someone else can chime in.

I would say that is probably the most popular salt on ARC - I use it, no issues.

Back