Ice cap gyre verses jebao gyre. Who wins?

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a jebao gyre already its half way decent. I want another gyre on the otherside. Was looking at icecap but not sure if its worth the extra cash. Has anyone ever had both of these how do they compare?

I think like most products that Jebao produces vs the original comes down to quality and longevity. That and customer support are going to be there differences.

I haven't used an jebao one but I love my icecap. I bought it used from a member here. The motor went out within a month. I emailed the member, he sent me the receipt, icecap sent me a new motor. Hard to beat that.

In my experience, jebao traditional circulation pumps are affordable, but underpowered and break down (electronics) after 1-3 years. Not the worst by far, but solid middle-of-the-road products. Ive gone through a dozen or so, different models from different years. The only jebao equipment that has lasted is their peristaltic/dosing pumps.

But i dont have experience with either icecap or jebao gyre, just maxspect, which i like.

I had a similar experience as Dave with my wp pumps from them. They required a lot of cleaning, more so than the Tunze pumps they copied, then they would eventually seize up.

I have Jebaos, icecap and maxspect gyres in my tank, icecap is the best option for you, maxspects are great but they need more maintenance than the other two

I just got the ICE CAP GYRE a few ago and I couldn't be happier with the performance. Easy to use, easy to set up, and so many flow patterns and speeds to create the perfect flow for your tank!!! Highly recommended

Just ordered one of the Icecap 4K units to try out in the frag tank. Anyone here use them with the Hydros Wave Engine?

Just ordered one of the Icecap 4K units to try out in the frag tank. Anyone here use them with the Hydros Wave Engine?
I ran the wave engine, loved it. Still have it when I setup another big tank, worth every penny.

I ran the wave engine, loved it. Still have it when I setup another big tank, worth every penny.
If you have the wifi controller for your only two IceCap wavemakers the wave engine is overkill right? It seems it's really for systems with multiple brand pumps (return pumps) included that can be controlled via one app. Or is that line of thinking wrong?

I run ice cap gyres and use the Hydros app (free) and it dose support gyre mode and more for the vice cap controller.
F20F7E6D-505C-4239-9E4F-E80BD3899C6A.png

Starting with one 4K for the 80 gallon frag tank. The MP40wQD in there is nice but the focused flow has a tendency to knock over taller frags at higher flow rates. Will probably keep it in there though at lower speed for supplemental flow until I add a 2nd gyre.

The Icecap controller runs the Hydros software/uses the app as well right?
No. You don’t use the controller for the icecap. You can order pump only and the adapter and it connects directly to the wave engine. You can run 4 of them per eave engine.

Back