ID Help Please

theplantman

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a Paly like the one below? The green and white striped one with the tentacles that is directly above the red mushroom. Or is it something else? There are a couple on this piece of mixed zoas and paly's.

IMG_1724.jpg

It does not move around and when I fed the tank the other day it grabbed a brine and closed up just like a paly does. Although at night they don't fold up like a paly, they kind of shrink like a mushroom but their stems stay fat like a paly's.

Definately not a zoa or paly, but not sure what it is. From the pic it almost looks like some sort of nem???

So that would be a type of dwarf anemone if memory serves me right? Invasive like aptasia?

Fish Scales2;337746 wrote: It appears to be a great looking Mojano.

Why kill it if it is not harming anything, does not move, does not bother the zoas or paly's next to it?

Well, if it is a manajo, it'll take over your tank before you know it. IMO, I would be cautious. If I don't know what it is, and could possibly be a nuisance, it's toast.
If it is a plate, you should be able to move it.

Definately not a plate coral, but the manajos I've seen have bubble tips. I honestly have no idea, but it is some type of nem.

Well, I just looked at images of Majano's and that's not it. The tentacle arrangement is wrong. Majanos tentacles radiate out from the edge symmetrically. They are not scattered in a pattern like this critter's throughout the whole face.

The second one has always been there. Had the piece for two weeks now and they have not moved or reproduced.

Fish Scales2;337766 wrote: In fact the second pic shoes a second one already popped up! 9 oclock

Sorry Chris, not killin this one, we like it better than we do the zoas and paly's on the piece. If it wants the rock, it can have it as long as it stays on the rock. And there are ways to make that happen.:D

Fish Scales2;337765 wrote: Kill it with fire

They multiply like crazy, use a little Kalk paste

If it were me, as I said before, I'd kalk it. It seems too suspect, and the fact that another one is that far away makes me think it could spread pretty fast.

And, FYI, it is a nem of some sort, not a paly.

Back