ID Help Please

If you pinched it with the tongs, and it does not feel hard, it can't be a plate. I'm stumped....

theplantman;337821 wrote: It feels soft under the tongs, but it did not give as much as I expected it too. And Chris, I saw those pics. The only problem with the majano theory is i have yet to see one with tentacles to the center, like every other nem i have seen, they have a fairly large tentacle free disc in the center.

Agree.

Anyone else totally arguing with themselves as well?:confused2:

Fish Scales2;337827 wrote: Agree.

Anyone else totally arguing with themselves as well?:confused2:
I'm not agruing with myself.
Yes I am. No I'm not. It's a nem. It's a plate. I don't know what the Hel it is. Maybe a plantguy LE unknown?

Smartass
That is funny, but I would love to see the pics coming tomorrow. Still voting plate. Have had some babies in my tank and when little the fleshy part definitely out grows the skeleton. Didn't close all the way, just drew up
Fish Scales2;337820 wrote: I think it might be a plate? Either way I might just start the first Majajno only tank, or maybe a Majano and Aptasia tank. Hmmmm the battle begins.

Smoothie, the first pictures I posted were after 8 hours of lights on. Some zoas and paly's open some closed as tends to be the case on this piece. They never all open at the same time. But I have seen them open around these whatever they are and not get popped as you say and close up. My blenny and coral banded shrimp have also come in contact with them with no ill effects. The shrimp practically layed with it's belly on the open tentacles. Of course the shrimp dwarfs these things.

too hard to tell from pics. need a top down or facing photo (cropped).

top down won't happen, its 20" deep. And if I could figure out how to crop and blow up I would. I cant get microsoft picture manager to do it. Any ideas?

mysterybox;337834 wrote: too hard to tell from pics. need a top down or facing photo (cropped).

On post #10 shows the second with nothing surrounding the base, is it skeletal or soft tissue?

My plates look kinda like having a stem after I fed them - they bulge up and close around the food.

My bet is:

1.) plate
2.) majano

i've seen weird looking majanos... LOL

yeah, get a better photo editor. humm, I think google & flickr offer a free one. I have a very inexpensive one that you could download, and user friendly. It's not photo shop, I have that one, but I didn't want to waste my life away learning how to use it.
ACDC photo manager.

Best I can do with the current photos

EdittedUnkown.jpg

Have not poked at the base, appears to be soft tissue like a paly or shroom.

Fish Scales2;337843 wrote: On post #10 shows the second with nothing surrounding the base, is it skeletal or soft tissue?

Sorry Ralph, wasn't the software, more like the ignorant user. I figured it out.

mysterybox;337846 wrote: yeah, get a better photo editor. humm, I think google & flickr offer a free one. I have a very inexpensive one that you could download, and user friendly. It's not photo shop, I have that one, but I didn't want to waste my life away learning how to use it.
ACDC photo manager.

So, if you are right and it is a plate, when does it move off the rock to the sand bed?

When you pop it off the rock and place it there. They have a skeletal structure so he should actually be attached with a boney base.

When? Gotta see this. After the pics tomorrow of course. Especially when recieving food and after (when closed up).

Place it in a small continer in the tank and see how big it gets LOL...

Barbara, you win the kewpie doll.:yay: Of course you will have to share it with smoothie.

Now, I thought plate corals were great big flat corals that crawled along the sand bed. What is this about plate coral trees?

And what should I be feeding these little guys?

Glad you didn't kill it. Enjoy growing them, and when they mature enjoy watching them spawn and reproduce new babies. Easy easy when they start spawning in maturity and I believe you are just the man to take on the job.
Translates into----we need a monthly plate log......please

Back