Japanese Leather

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
I have not bought a new coral for my 100 gallon mixed reef in a long time, so when I saw this online I jumped on it, mainly because of its size. Japanese dwarf leathers are solid green with green polyps. Most leathers with green are the Tyree type, brown skin and green polyps. The Japanese leathers are notoriously slow growers, have only been available as very expensive, small, dime sized frags over the last few years. Just placed in the tank yesterday and glued in place today. The polyps are still retracted. Body is about 3.5 inches across, a relative monster size for this type of coral.

CIMG5753_zpse77a7ff5.jpg
alt="" />

Nice pick up Dave...Im not too fond of leathers but I would def have this one!

cment;975397 wrote: Nice pick up Dave...Im not too found of leathers but I would def have this one!

I actually have another Dwarf Japanese Leather I bought about 3 years ago, and it is still tiny, about dime size when I bought it from The Alternative Reef back when they sold coral, and after three years it is about the diameter of a quarter and has a small side cap growing, smaller than a dime.

Literally, the slowest growing coral I have ever owned. Leathers are not my favorite either. I have mostly acans and Euphyllia in this reef, but bold colors are always appealing to me. I have a Palau Green Nepthea as well that is pretty cool.

Wow! I don't think I would be able to have any thing that grows that slow. Can you post some pics when it opens up?

Cool coral. I have a small toadstool that is all green, no brown. But not "highlighter" green like yours, rather dull in comparison.

Back