Lighting Gurus (or is that Guri) Help me pick a new bulb, please?

Wow! I'm knocked out by all this great input from everyone!

Linda, to answer your question, I would believe that since he attached himself where he is at, he is happy, but under new lighting that doesn't agree with him (such as a low par situation) he could unattach from where he's at (a clear sign in MHO that par was reduced) but would not be able to find prefered lighting on his own, as higher on the rock pile he'd need to be for greater par, but doubt a clam could climb the rock pile like an anemone could......

Love the input and different views on lighting, but still as confused as ever, I'm going to read through those sites that were posted.....

Oh, I have VHO suppliments on my fixture, they aren't the "blue actinic" of my previous fixture, but a bright, funky blue that looks kind of unatural compared to the CF actinics I was accustom to, kind of Very blue with a hint of purple.....

well i will address the other question...i buy all my bulbs from ebay as it is usually all whole sale and u can get 120 dollar bulbs for 60-70 bucks that is where my ushio's and xm's come from...and the hamiltons

now the lighting i love a good 14k hamilton...great par and also great color kinda the best of both worlds

HAMILTON-METAL-HALIDE-250W-14K-BULB_W0QQitemZ140171181827QQihZ004QQcategoryZ46308QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem"><span style="color:

DannyBradley;101499 wrote: If we argue every specific bulb here we won't get anything decided on. This is especially true for someone who knows less about lighting.

GENERALLY speaking, 20k bulbs will yield a higher PAR rating than 14k and 15k bulbs. I've seen in many cases coral not do well under 14k bulbs that had been doing great under 20k bulbs. Switching back after several months made the coral turn back around when no other husbandry techniques changed.

I normally don't get involved in the "debates" that sometime flare up on this board but I can't help but respond to the statement made above. I think this is one of the biggest problems here. There shouldn't be arguing when someone asks for information. This is a disservice to the person that posed the question. There are very few absolutes in this hobby so we should never state anything in that manner. No one should be trying to make decisions for someone else. We should be providing them the credible information they need to make their own INFORMED decision! (This is especially true when it comes to something as subjective as lighting)

Back