My 29 Mixed Reef and 10g “pest coral”

jordanbevis

Market
Reaction score
Here’s my 29 mixed reef!!! So I’m not sure any of you on this forum know, but this tank was an emergency set up!! I had a 10g reef successfully for about 5ish months, and it was going great, no hiccups other than my brittle eating my fire fish. Well, I brought home a very tiny 6line wrasse to keep in there to eat the bigger pods I was getting, and I thought I saw ich on him, and panicked. I dosed Ich remedy... without thinking “oh, is this reef safe?” Gahhh. So I went out as soon as I woke up (this was at 3am I was sleep deprived) and went out and spent all of my graduation money and savings and bought an entirely new system with already established live rock and live sand, I let it sit for about 6 hours and the salinity and temp were the same, and added everything but the fish... 3 weeks later I added the fish (who didn’t have ich it was bubbles.. yes. BUBBLES. And I haven’t had ONE casualty except for 2 snails and a hermit crab that were eaten by my two blue legged hermits! And now, the 10g system has been running without anything in it for about 3 months, and I put coral in it, hermits and an anemone. Added two clownfish 2 weeks ago and wow! That system is exploding!!! Soooo much coral one algae. Sooo much. The only problem I have is with hard green algae in the glass! Scraping it tonight hopefully though. The pic of the 10g was taken a little over a week ago, and even since then it’s exploded. I’ll try and add another picture when I get home tonight. All I can say is I have been
8f424fb405f05e3d09392aa22043fbd0.jpg
blessed beyond everything
15f6b0a11ab71f23f19b8b7f40a6d387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great! I recognize that caulerpa and would encourage to to keep in on that single rock if you can. I have it in my general tanks and it looks great but it can really spread if you're not careful. I take handfuls of the stuff out every time I do a water change.

Looks great! I recognize that caulerpa and would encourage to to keep in on that single rock if you can. I have it in my general tanks and it looks great but it can really spread if you're not careful. I take handfuls of the stuff out every time I do a water change.

I’m not to handfuls yet, but I do trim it back every water change!

Wow! They both look great!! I have always wanted an anenome but have been afraid to get one. I heard they move around a lot and can sting corals when they do. Yours looks happily planted! I fight the urge to start a tank for just an anenome and some flower anenomes in it. :) You have a great assortiment of corals in the 29. Very nicely done!

I also like your pest coral refference! To funny. I love pulsing xenia and green star polyps. I have put them in my 10 gallon as well but they are on things that I can hopefully control them...

I also like your pest coral refference! To funny. I love pulsing xenia and green star polyps. I have put them in my 10 gallon as well but they are on things that I can hopefully control them...

Thank you!! That’s exactly what the 10g was for, but my anemone moved about 4 inches from where I put him and has stayed put, so I put non expensive pest corals in there so they’d all grow in in huge numbers and look just like a flowy colorful tank, lol. Neither of my Nems in the 29 moved very much at all! Fingers crossed they stay there!!! The GSP is controlled, but thinking about putting it on the main rock structure!

513b4c87a7df9fd15be4bec03015aa1c.jpg
Still need to scrape this algae. Oops. But look at the coraline growth! Lol. Also, my happy clowns “Jennifer and Alex”

Thank you!! That’s exactly what the 10g was for, but my anemone moved about 4 inches from where I put him and has stayed put, so I put non expensive pest corals in there so they’d all grow in in huge numbers and look just like a flowy colorful tank, lol. Neither of my Nems in the 29 moved very much at all! Fingers crossed they stay there!!! The GSP is controlled, but thinking about putting it on the main rock structure!

Thats going to be even more beautiful when it all fills in!

It looks really good! I really like your nem.... makes me want to get one. :) I need to deep clean the two 20s I am in transition with. When things arn't the way I want them, in my tanks, I get a bit lax. Maybe tomorrow. :)

Saw your to photos submitted to the March contest. The 29 looks great! Do you have a little bubble tip at the top of the middle rock work?...Also, Is that a hairy toadstool? in the front right corner? Love him. :)

It looks really good! I really like your nem.... makes me want to get one. :) I need to deep clean the two 20s I am in transition with. When things arn't the way I want them, in my tanks, I get a bit lax. Maybe tomorrow. :)

Saw your to photos submitted to the March contest. The 29 looks great! Do you have a little bubble tip at the top of the middle rock work?...Also, Is that a hairy toadstool? in the front right corner? Love him. :)

Yes! I have two btas in there they’re close together, but not close enough for me to worry, and yes, it is! I was scared of Nems at first but as soon as I got to see the symbiotic relationships in my own tank I was hooked and wanted more lol.

Wow! A lot changes in a week. I hadn’t planned to be out of town this past week, but I had to be. I had my best friend take care of my tanks and all is sorta well lol. I realized I need to lower my light time on the 10g cause I already have a bunch of hard green algae. But can we talk about the Kenya tree, blue clove and coraline algae growth?? Wow! It sure what’s going on in the 30. All lps and softies and nems are doing great, but s
2d9e5bf79f7439456d37d2577e696ce7.jpg
ps took a turn while I was gone. A few pieces fell over so I’m assuming that’s the culprit. Some of the lps fell too which is why some are closed up. I think the branching monti, birdsnest, and kryptonite candys are doing the worst. Anything I should know about trying to nurse them back to health?
0ecfc633ac78ef832e38b3995dafe445.jpg
354b3f4a369f2db0344b1f1074bee4d8.jpg
33e41940e38803fad6648fb5e7758475.jpg
3e9c8358e8549580218cc2ac3bba2ec4.jpg
23174b8f1d56db0ddf58bdb3f69d80c3.jpg
75708100737aeab7cf21aa8ed543b1bd.jpg

The pest tank had a lot of growth while you were gone. :) It is filling in quickly.

Theres really not to much to do for the candy cane but keep it upright and paramiters stable.

I have found, most of the time with birdsnest and stylos, if they have some white dead spots (RTN or STN) on them, the dead spots will continiue to grow bigger and you might loose the colony or frag If you see the white dead spots growing larger and spreading, act quickly and frag off the dead and keep the good pieces and reglue somewhere in the tank or to frag plugs. Hope they all start to recover quickly for you!

There are very few people I trust with my tanks. So much can go wrong so quickly. It is always scarry to leave them for a few days. To me anyways...

Blessings!

More Corrine growth!
69180b6eb943e90a8f3362c16d381a3e.jpg

Also, here’s how things are looking in the 30g!
24d92331a609afc38d5b8ff429d8fc86.jpg

Unfortunately the birdsnest and branching monti didn’t make it. Everything else seems to be healing just fine though. Also! I found this white mushroom on a dead favia skeleton from a long time ago. I found it behind the rocks about a month ago and I thought the color would bounce back from not being in the light but.. it’s still white. And orange, and green very beautiful. Anyone have a clue??
cb3bee0b026f8edbe2367382b4a6bc86.jpg
647919308118003d45f7dd181f2bdef2.jpg

Everything is looking really good. I am very fond of your pest tank. I love all the corals labled pest but they are hard to control. But in your tank they can just be...and be beautiful. Love the idea...very nice.

Your other tank looks really good too. Seeing it always makes me want to try an anenome. :)

To me it looks like a little riccordia trying to recover.

Blessings and Happy Reefing!

You should!!! Especially if you have a clownfish. They’re amazing!!! Every time someone comes over I’m like “hey, look at my anemones!” or better yet, if you have the funds, do a pest tank!!! Get an anemone, let it get established, and then add “pest” corals!

Okay so I knowwww this isn’t a fish tank build.. but this is the only place I feel it will be appreciated, lol. I turned a 20L on its side, secured an aquarium lid on it with screen for ventelation, and now I have a crested gecko cage with a door!! I’m feeling very crafty... almost wish there was plumbing to put together
f30ef0ea88063a328f057533741787c0.jpg
e87674d77c331c339fa8ad2d46914366.jpg

Wait, no bonus picture of the gecko? Fish forum or not, I now need gecko pics. Great job on making your own cage!
Thank you!! This is my little girl. I’ve raised her from almost birth, she already has a cage...
8375db093002dab10a2cb9297a132da0.jpg

But I’m picking this guy up on Monday! Hoping for them to be a mated pair down the road.
45fd5a1ea43ef7fe973ba3f6393ba802.jpg

Back