My 29 Mixed Reef and 10g “pest coral”

So story time, lol. I took out that rock in the 30, and did a big clean, ended up finding a baby anemone! It’s very bleached, not sure why it hasn’t moved into the light anyways, my HOB filter sorta exploded last night.. the bag of charcoal somehow broke while the filter was on and charcoal started flying EVERYWHERE and then it stoped working, lol. Tank is fine though, so I went at 8:30 last night to Petco and grabbed the 206 or 306 fluval canister filter. I started putting it together and I hooked it up, started the siphon, and my lord, water EVERYWHERE. 5 gallons got out before I got the chance to take the hose out of the water. Time 6 large towels and an hour to get everything dry, but turns out I didn’t put the o ring on in the right place. I got it hooked up the right way, and I was trying to fix the nozzles and make them tighter so I cut power so it wouldn’t happen again and me and my brain fog didn’t think about the pressure already in the canister and I went to take it off and water spewed everywhere under the tank, I’m trying to hold up the electric cords with one hand, stop the leak with the other, and reach something to put the cords on with my toes another gallon and a half out of the tank. Took another 44 minutes to clean. At least I hadn’t done my water change yet but here’s the after math.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I apologize in advance, I'm not laughing at you im laughing with you! Im sure there wasn't many smiles through that whole deal, but the tanks are looking great.

I apologize in advance, I'm not laughing at you im laughing with you! Im sure there wasn't many smiles through that whole deal, but the tanks are looking great.

Oh trust me, it was absolutely hilarious looking back at it during it was lots of blank stares into space like “really..... really.. is this really happening?” and thanks!

20ebc535a9a3f2565bb2e54b83ea2602.jpg
also, got this combo rock at nemos today and loving it!

The 10G Is teeming with life, I absolutely love that look. Your coraline is looking so thick already. That tank is going to be coated before you know it!

Wow! What a huge fiasco! I am suprised you didnt just give up and cry! Things look great now though and it is something you can look back at, shake your head and smile! The worst water disaster I have had to date is my hose coming out of my bucket while cleaning. But that has happened many times. :) Keep up the great work and dedication!

Tank update everything doing well, except, there is an issue. My father requested I clean the “pink algae” off the tank walls because it’s “getting dirty” and both sides of the tank were almost completely covered in coraline algae and I was so proud... but it had to come off . I’ve been having to scrape it about every other week. Since I’ve been doing this I’ve noticed there has been a lot of little particle floating on the surface of the tank, almost looks like I’ve been over feeding the tank and the itty bitty left overs are floating. In these pictures I just finished scraping, so everything is a bit closed up, and my flower pot has fallen down a few times from me bumping into it so it’s healing also, my trumpets are drowning in the very last bit of red bubble algae there is in the tank they were some of my favorite coral, I actually got to propagate some of it and give it to a friend, it grew 4 or 5 smaller pieces off of it, but o think it’s about to be done for now. Anyways, does anyone know of a micro skimmer that requires a cheap set up? I don’t have too much $ at the moment, all of it is being spent on my service dogs training, haha. I don’t have a sump for this tank either, but am open to setting one up. Sorry for the post that’s going from here to there, my brain is all over the place, haha. Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• 99AE1BF6-92C2-4311-8CA9-1A5B1D28A349.jpeg
    99AE1BF6-92C2-4311-8CA9-1A5B1D28A349.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 3862B978-8C05-415A-9736-A4B51DF1010F.jpeg
    3862B978-8C05-415A-9736-A4B51DF1010F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • D08C3B04-ECB0-4385-B468-B35630F4E921.jpeg
    D08C3B04-ECB0-4385-B468-B35630F4E921.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • A311FD52-ABAA-4C20-A134-2966D2255D53.jpeg
    A311FD52-ABAA-4C20-A134-2966D2255D53.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 80733E2D-AE48-4F6F-9DF6-7F10B55E302F.jpeg
    80733E2D-AE48-4F6F-9DF6-7F10B55E302F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
So I’ve been assigned the task of “fixing the pink stuff” in two weeks... I’m honestly thinking about grabbing a new tank, Sand, and LR, adding my water and plumbing and calling it a day? it would fix my red bubble algae issue as well, as it has divided to grow absolutely everywhere within the last 2 weeks. I could also just replace all of the rock in the current system. Thoughts?

If it is a maintaince issue (feeding, lighting, tank chemistry balance, water change type thing) any issues you are currently having will follow you to the new system. Tons of coraline is a great thing to have and shows some good things are happening.. But just because coraline is growing does not mean everything else in the tank is in balance. I have seen a tank grow tons of coraline plus lots of other kinds of bad algea all at the same time. You have a great tank and set up. To save money you could just attack and be very dillligent with several small water changes close together and physically removing as much algea each time as possible and see if that doesnt start to turn things around. It is the most time consuming but cheapest route to try first. :) Hope you come to a solution. :)

If it is a maintaince issue (feeding, lighting, tank chemistry balance, water change type thing) any issues you are currently having will follow you to the new system. Tons of coraline is a great thing to have and shows some good things are happening.. But just because coraline is growing does not mean everything else in the tank is in balance. I have seen a tank grow tons of coraline plus lots of other kinds of bad algea all at the same time. You have a great tank and set up. To save money you could just attack and be very dillligent with several small water changes close together and physically removing as much algea each time as possible and see if that doesnt start to turn things around. It is the most time consuming but cheapest route to try first. :) Hope you come to a solution. :)
I’ve told him this time and time again, but my dads like “the ones on the tv don’t look like that” (basing off of the show tanked) and he just hates all the pink purple color. I think what we’ve decided on is taking all of the effected rocks out, (red bubble algae) and while I have those rocks out I’ll scrape everything off the sides of the tank. Fingers crossed I’ve been doing a 15% water change weekly, and I turned the light power down a bit as well, I also reduced the amount that I’m feeding, but I don’t think the food was an issue. I’ve changed up the flow a bunch as well, but it just keeps growing. It’s not taking over yet, but it is everywhere in small amounts.

Unfortunately - the bubble algae will be a losing proposition unless you get something that will eat it. You can manually remove it daily - or at least several times a week. That should keep it at acceptable levels (not over taking everything in the tank) - but you'll probably not be able to get rid of it 100%.

The coralline - you're doing the right thing there - just scrape it away off the glass little by little and then set yourself up on a regular glass scraping schedule to keep it off the glass.

Moving to a new tank will likely only delay your bubble algae - it will come back unless you start completely from scratch (excluding fish and most cleanup crew).

Unfortunately - the bubble algae will be a losing proposition unless you get something that will eat it. You can manually remove it daily - or at least several times a week. That should keep it at acceptable levels (not over taking everything in the tank) - but you'll probably not be able to get rid of it 100%.

The coralline - you're doing the right thing there - just scrape it away off the glass little by little and then set yourself up on a regular glass scraping schedule to keep it off the glass.

Moving to a new tank will likely only delay your bubble algae - it will come back unless you start completely from scratch (excluding fish and most cleanup crew).
Is there anything that you know of that will eat it??

Is there anything that you know of that will eat it??
Everything that MIGHT eat it is hit or miss.

I have it (bubble algae) in one of our tanks - and I have emerald crabs that I purchased from ReefCleaners.org that eat it. Reefcleaners guarantee their emerald crabs to eat bubble algae. You do need to keep an eye on the crabs though - like all crabs they can start to eat just about anything they get their claws on - I watch mine closely and if I ever even think one is plucking at soft corals I put him in the sump.

They eat all of the green bubble algae and the small red bubble algae. They won't touch the large red bubbles for some reason.

I know there are fish that may eat it - but I don't think I've ever heard of a species of fish that ALWAYS eats it.

Everything that MIGHT eat it is hit or miss.

I have it (bubble algae) in one of our tanks - and I have emerald crabs that I purchased from ReefCleaners.org that eat it. Reefcleaners guarantee their emerald crabs to eat bubble algae. You do need to keep an eye on the crabs though - like all crabs they can start to eat just about anything they get their claws on - I watch mine closely and if I ever even think one is plucking at soft corals I put him in the sump.

They eat all of the green bubble algae and the small red bubble algae. They won't touch the large red bubbles for some reason.

I know there are fish that may eat it - but I don't think I've ever heard of a species of fish that ALWAYS eats it.
I have a yellow tang in my DT and it eats the green bubble algae that i see pop up.

I ended up taking some rocks out, and added one small one, totally new looking tank. A lot of the bubble algae is gone, and I scrapped all of the glass, so it looks very clean. However, I found a few snails that had two or three bubbles on their shells, and I got them off, but I found a narrators snail that is absolutely covered in red bubbles.... like he could be the culprit of the spreading of the bubbles

I need to clean the outside of the glass, and many of the vitals are still closed up and around on the sides of the rocks. I had to throw several zoanthids into the woods because there was just too many bubbles on them to remove them safely. I tried removing the bubbles from that snail, but it was taking too long, and he would’ve died if I would’ve done it properly without them all popping, so I’m not sure what to do about him

Attachments

• 692503AE-DC80-43E0-B1BE-63E196D18629.jpeg
    692503AE-DC80-43E0-B1BE-63E196D18629.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 3CD29FDC-2466-4C68-BF93-AD323A24CF2F.jpeg
    3CD29FDC-2466-4C68-BF93-AD323A24CF2F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Looks like a whole new setup! Great solution. If I see any bubble algea in my tank, I grab it with tweezers right away so it cant get out of control. :)

So I’ve been gone from here for a while, sorry about that haha. I’ve been having some health issues, and I’ve kind of put my tanks on a back burner. I still take care of them, but pretty much just the bare minimum. Anyways, the power went out to the room the 10g is in and I’m not sure for how long. It only has coral and an arrow crab in it so I haven’t checked on it often other than for water changes. Scared I’m going to loose everything but we’re gonna try

Hopefully the power wasn't out to long and everything will be ok.

Back