My acro colony turning brown/burgandy?

If you use a product, just follow the directions to slowly raise the alk.

Cooking the baking soda yeilds carb/bicarb buffer as well, but I have never done it. You will have to google or ask someone more knowledgeable than myself, but I know it works.

No need to necessarily cook the baking soda. You can just dissolve it in water and add it to the tank for alk. Baking the soda will help remove the excess CO2 which turns into carbonic acid in the water and is responsible for effecting ph. I don't think its necessary though and never have done that step. I use Arm and Hammer. :)

If you're dosing Ca you need to be dosing Alk imo. They need to be in balance.

G'luck Todd!

FutureInterest;253538 wrote: No need to necessarily cook the baking soda. You can just dissolve it in water and add it to the tank for alk. Baking the soda will help remove the excess CO2 which turns into carbonic acid in the water and is responsible for effecting ph. I don't think its necessary though and never have done that step. I use Arm and Hammer. :)

If you're dosing Ca you need to be dosing Alk imo. They need to be in balance.

G'luck Todd!

yeah, everything he said.

with my 2.5G weekly water change my calcuim stays right at 425-450 so I dont really dose Ca at all any more. Once I get more SPS and a clam I am sure that will change.

Any ideas on that burgandy color dust I see on the base of my frags where I glued them to the rock? I even see some of it on top of my pink acan.

Seems like it could be cyano... but you say it's not, try to get some pictures.

I can only see it on the part of the superglue gel where I attach the frags and no where else. I had cyano before and it looks nothing like that. its a different color as well, more rust color compared to the cyano color. I can blow it off easily with my glass dropper as well.

Hmmm... The few things that are burgundy that could be loosely described as "dust" might be cyano or diatoms or perhaps flatworms. No clue really, I'm shooting in the dark. Can you get a good pic?

I never cook baking soda you can use it as it is.

I think but not sure the only reason to cook it is if your ph is low and you want to raise it along with the DKH.

Anyone feel free to correct me I don't want to pass along the wrong info.

Joe

acandust.jpg
alt="" />
acandust2.jpg
alt="" />
acrodust.jpg
alt="" />
acrodust2.jpg
alt="" />
dust.jpg
alt="" />

Mix of cyano and diatoms imo. Just not heavy distributions of it...

That acro looks like it has some dead spots on it where some brown algae has accumulated on it... Acan is bleached too imo :sad:.

Thanks.

The 3rd and 4th pictures are of the acro colony that has turned on me as well.

Hate to say it man, all your corals are dead..The brown stuffs on the coral are algae growing on it. I know you love your Elos LED, who knows it could either have too much light or the spectrum on it is not the right spectrum.

you are talking about the big acro colony that looks dead?

the other corals are all healthy with polyp extension etc. But what doesnt make sense is that its been very healthy for 3 months then the last 3 days it just took a turn for the worse while everything else is fine including my anemone.

The bird nest look pretty bleached out with only a few branch still having its color. Your large acro is completely dead. The Acan is bleached too but I think you can revive that. As for the other smaller frags, I can't really tell but it looks pretty pale.

the birds nest I just got it last week so its going to take a while for it to come back as that is how it looked when I got it. the acan is a hot pink color and is the same color its been for the last month and a half since I owned it.

The blue mille is very blue, my orange digitata is very bright along with my blue one. the only thing in the tank that has gone bad is the bright green acro. On the back side of it; it still has the correct green color and good polyp extension.

do you have enough random flow? It looks like nutrient issues &/or water quality issues. Lighting wouldn't cause anything that fast. I see some polyps on that acro, but it's not looking for good.

Back