My Dream: 160 Oceanic Cube Build!

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
I just purchased my dream tank from Sal. It is a custom built Oceanic Cube: 36X36X30. Actual volume of water is 168 without LR/LS etc. This thing is massive, 5/8 glass with a glass overflow in the back. I estimate the weight of the tank itself to be around 350-450lbs. With water LR etc, this will be pushing a 1/2 ton. It was going in the living room where my current 40 Cube sits but after doing some preliminary structural estimates the flooring won't be able to support the footprint. I am setting it up in the basement fish room. One advantage is that I will be able to combine the frag tank into this system, thus only have one system instead of three. The stand is raw wood, an excellent build by BigD and Bob for Sal during his 400GAL tank disaster. This thing is solid as a rock! The canopy will have a 400W MH with 2X55 VHO actnics (maybe 4X55 if I hurry up and by some more water proof end caps and one more bulb). I'll be running a custon California made acrylic sump with bioballs, 1/10 HP chiller (basement stays cool), UV, 30 GAL refug, Phosban/Carbon Media reactor, fluidized bed filter, and auto top off system. I have a Octopus 3000 that I'll run with temp/PH probe and also a Reef PH probe back up. No calcium reactor but I am dosing with pool calcium. Total volume of water with tank, sump, refug and frag tank should be around 370GAL. A big step up from my small systems I have been running over the past few years. I am going to document the build on this thread. Who knows some of my mistakes, hopefully minor, will help someone out with their build someday. Wish me luck and check back often for updates! Here are some picutres of the tank, sump and skimmer to start out!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
87226=5519-IMG_7856.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
87226=5519-IMG_7856.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_7856.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
87226=5520-IMG_7857.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
87226=5520-IMG_7857.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_7857.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
87226=5521-IMG_7858.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
87226=5521-IMG_7858.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_7858.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
87226=5522-IMG_7859.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
87226=5522-IMG_7859.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_7859.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

looks good mark, have you thought about reinforcing your floor?? That way you could put it upstairs. Also even being in the basement are you sure a 1/10 hp chiller would be enough ? I have one and it struggles to keep my 125g setup at 80.

chrisjet;87238 wrote: looks good mark, have you thought about reinforcing your floor?? That way you could put it upstairs. Also even being in the basement are you sure a 1/10 hp chiller would be enough ? I have one and it struggles to keep my 125g setup at 80.

It should Chris....if not guess I'll be looking for a bigger chiller! I need to branch off the AC into this basement room anyways, now I have a pressing reason to make it happen!:thumbs:

i would take the bio-balls out of the sump they contribute to increased nitrates i have heard i took mine out no problems

paul692;87253 wrote: i would take the bio-balls out of the sump they contribute to increased nitrates i have heard i took mine out no problems

Paul..you are quite correct. Bio-balls that are not properly maintained can be a huge nitrate factory. But as long as you follow a good cleaning regiment they can work very nicely as a nitrate remover. There are many varying opinions on this subject but just like everything else you do what works best for you in your specific situation.

Mark
GREAT looking tank! Really looks like a lot of work. I can't wait to see it all up and running.

I wonder. Your Protein Skimmer Looks JUST like one I inherited. Sadly I have NO info on how to hook iti up or what kind it is. Can you tell me a little about yours? I need to know where to look for set up instructions.
Thanks a lot!

love the nao cube your gonna love it as i have seenit running in person very clean

It looks like a coralife...although unsure which model. I posted the instructions a while back:
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5599&highlight=coralife">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5599&highlight=coralife</a>

They were hard to find!

balagan;87289 wrote: It looks like a coralife...although unsure which model. I posted the instructions a while back:
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5599&highlight=coralife">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5599&highlight=coralife</a>

They were hard to find![/QUOTE]

Loren Thank you very much!

Hey Mark Glad To See You're Excitement To Put The Cube Up, I Got My Bowfront Stand Together Going To Spray It Tonight, Good Luck With The Build P.s. If You Want Some Cherry Wood For The Stand I'll Give Ya A Great Deal. Sal

horsesziggy;87299 wrote: Hey Mark Glad To See You're Excitement To Put The Cube Up, I Got My Bowfront Stand Together Going To Spray It Tonight, Good Luck With The Build P.s. If You Want Some Cherry Wood For The Stand I'll Give Ya A Great Deal. Sal

Thanks Sal! All I need is the canopy now. I picked up the 400W MH today and put the stand back together. Wish we had marked the pieces better, I felt like I was a 2 year old trying to put together a 12 and over puzzle! Here is a picture of the stand. It's unfinished for now but once I am at my retirement home it will be finished. I am going to have to remove the door frame to the fish room to get the tank through. Should be an interesting venture!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
87456=5528-IMG_7860.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
87456=5528-IMG_7860.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_7860.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Mark cant wait to see it man the light is gone look great on that.

Are you sure you don't want to try and support the first floor to put this upstairs. It can be done

horsesziggy;87299 wrote: Hey Mark Glad To See You're Excitement To Put The Cube Up, I Got My Bowfront Stand Together Going To Spray It Tonight, Good Luck With The Build P.s. If You Want Some Cherry Wood For The Stand I'll Give Ya A Great Deal. Sal

So Sal....how about some pics of that cherry bowfront stand. Mine's not quite done yet...gotta finish the upper doors and apply the crown moulding, but it's close!

Back