My epic 120g Build Thread

seth the wine guy

Reaction score
Well, after a couple months of being on the boards daily, reading, and talking to other members, I finally officially broke ground on my build today. Over the next 6-8 weeks I hope people to find this as informative as it is entertaining. (I'm sure I'll goof some things up along the way!)

As some of you know, I had planned on doing an elaborate plumbing project where water would be pumped from DT to a sump a few rooms away. It would have involved lots of plumbing through molding and/or routed outside where it would have to be buried and insulated. After getting a lot of great feedback and ideas, I decided to keep it simple and just build a sump/fish room on the exterior wall of the DT.

The fish room will be tight quarters. 7'x6' but plenty of room for the sump, ATO water system, premixed salt, etc. I plan on doing a sump between 120-180 gallons. I still need to find someone selling an undrilled tank so I'm not sure just how big yet. I ordered the custom made Starfire DT today and will take delivery at the end of Jan. I had to go custom to fit in the area I have designated.

I will include pics as I go. The first of them won't be all too thrilling for the tank oriented type but what the heck.

I plan on doing a mixed reef with SPS, LPS, clams, and whatever else looks cool.
Here is the hardware that has already been purchased. I'm sure I'll add something to the list. (Like a Tunze Osmolator )
Lighting- AI SOL Super Blue LED's
Pumps/Powerheads - (3) Vortech MP40w ES's
GEO 618 Calcium Reactor with Eheim recirculating pump
Super Reef Octopus 3000int (Would loved to have done a Bubble King or Vertex but just couldn't justify it. YET!)
Aquarium Plants.com CO2 Digital Regulator
Aqua Clear 40w UV Sterilizer
Neptune APEX controller
(2) Blueline 55 HD pumps to run the entire system. Reactors, etc. (One is a spare in the case of failure)
37g QT tank established and ready
30g Medic tank (If needed)

I know it's overboard to a degree but I only want to buy something once. And, that usually means that you don't buy cheap the first time.

The following picture is where the tank will go. The two lower portals on each side are for viewing into the tank. Cabinet doors will go on the top portals for access. There will also be cabinet doors above and below the tank as well. I had to do this strange arrangement because this area is directly below the fireplace mantle in the living room upstairs. I had to keep the support bracing but thought to do another fireplace in that space would be boring.
I will be cutting a hole in the wall inside this area to run plumbing to the future sump room outside. A few bricks will have to come out. Big deal.
The next group of pics will be of constructing the sump room.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
595247=28213-IMAG0043.jpg
>
595247=28213-IMAG0043.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0043.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Ground breaking on the sump room. We laid a respectable 6" slab. We pulled it off perfectly level. :yay: At least for now.
595249=28214-IMAG0099.jpg
>
595249=28214-IMAG0099.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0099.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
595249=28215-IMAG0105.jpg
>
595249=28215-IMAG0105.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0105.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
595249=28216-IMAG0108.jpg
>
595249=28216-IMAG0108.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0108.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Wow! My family gives me a hard time for remodeling to place my tanks! You are adding on! Cool!

:thumbs:You may take a little time to decide but when you do BAM!!!!
Your committed now:thumbs:

Acroholic;595277 wrote: I'll be following this one Seth. Should be epic, as you say!:)

Epic in cost for sure! So, I will throw a big frag charity event when it's all done to actually be able to put something in the tank when the money's all gone!

Looks like a good start Seth. If you need any help i am not that far from you so just give me a call.

WOW Seth, way to go bud!

I would suggest reviewing your UV for your build. I assume you will have 200 gal range or larger when its all said and done, I dont think that 40w is going to be enough. I ran a 36w on my 210 for a long time before someone finally said "you know that isnt doing a darn thing for your tank, right?" so I went with a 114 watt Aqua UV.

That's a good point. I bought it with the original plan in mind using a much smaller sump. Total before would have been around 150g. Well, it may be soon seen on the FS board!
gnashty;595324 wrote: WOW Seth, way to go bud!

I would suggest reviewing your UV for your build. I assume you will have 200 gal range or larger when its all said and done, I dont think that 40w is going to be enough. I ran a 36w on my 210 for a long time before someone finally said "you know that isnt doing a darn thing for your tank, right?" so I went with a 114 watt Aqua UV.

Seth, Way to go, glad to see you finally got started!!!! Looking forward to tagging along on this build.

Dennis

is it too late to put a drain in the floor ?:) i always wanted a fish room with a drain haha

SnowManSnow;595438 wrote: is it too late to put a drain in the floor ?:) i always wanted a fish room with a drain haha
Oh, we have a drain in! A small one to handle incidental spills and splashes. Not designed to handle a 5 gallon bucket full or anything. Since the room is so small I didn't want to have any slope going to the drain though. Need to keep it as level as possible for the sump tank. So, I'll keep a small squeegee to help direct any water.

grouper therapy;597500 wrote: Got any updates Seth?

In fact, I do. By the time the guys were finishing up last evening it was too dark to take a pic. I spent a little more money and went the 2x6 route instead of 2x4's for framing. Max R Value insulation is R-13 with 2x4. That just won't do. With 2x6 I can do R-30.
Today I will put the insulation in and put foam at all seams. We will then start running plumbing and electrical.
It's going to be tight in there now that I'm doing a 180g sump. It's 72x24x24 and will be on a framed platform that should allow room for pumps and plumbing underneath. That leaves just enough space for a sink and 2 stacked 32g Brutes on the brick wall going to the house. I may change the location of the sink to the right of the door to allow for easier access to the hole that will be cut in the brick wall, and all the plumbing being routed through it.

I'm thinking about doing green laminated drywall for the interior. (The type used in and around showers) Then applying a dual epoxy paint. The sheet rock would be about the same cost as plywood, but much easier to work with. I'm open to a debate on which way to go there. Open to any other suggestions as well.

Seth
597540=28287-IMAG0117.jpg
>
597540=28287-IMAG0117.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0117.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
597540=28288-IMAG0118.jpg
>
597540=28288-IMAG0118.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0118.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
597540=28289-Side entry 72%22 sump FINAL.jpg
>
597540=28289-Side entry 72%22 sump FINAL.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Side entry 72%22 sump FINAL.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Good job. I have never seen the epoxy on the walls but am anxious to see how it works for you.

That a 3D you made of the space? I used SketchUp to make my 4x3x6' iguana enclosure before I built it...fantastic planning tool.

Build is looking great man. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Decided to change the drain plan today. Instead of having one centralized shower like drain, I'm doing a small trough to run most of the length of the room. I'll put in tile to gently slope into the trough. It's about two inches wide so not enough to trip on. Attached is an illustration. Will have pics when it looks presentable.
600083=28433-Side entry with 72%22 sump with drain.jpg
>
600083=28433-Side entry with 72%22 sump with drain.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Side entry with 72%22 sump with drain.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back