My epic 120g Build Thread

A little snow isn't going to hold up progress. Got the Hardiplank on, ventilation fan in, plumbing and water lines run, and electrical wiring in. I decided to get creative with the wiring so I could have a dedicated breaker for the pump room itself. Both the floor drain and sink drain will just dump downhill into the lawn. Saltwater from water changes will be pumped into the vacant lot next door. (I'll figure out something different if the thing ever sells!) Tomorrow will be drywall and the shingles.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
600408=28459-IMAG0127.jpg
>
600408=28459-IMAG0127.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0127.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
600408=28458-IMAG0128.jpg
>
600408=28458-IMAG0128.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0128.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

grouper therapy;603328 wrote: Do you need a roofer?:)
Seriously any updates?

No updates of any significance. In a bit of a holding pattern. My DT tank should arrive this weekend and I had to redo the sump plan. The 180g I had planned on using at first wasn't ready for me to pick up. So, I'm back to using the 120g.
Sump construction is underway. I've got a ton of help on the project. :yay: (Thanks Eric!)
The things I still have to do aren't very exciting. Like applying a water based epoxy paint to the walls and ceiling, gently sloping the concrete toward the drain. Tile is going in tomorrow.
Now the sump design Eric is doing should be really interesting. Going to do some mangroves in a section of the fuge. He has a design for an auto misting system to keep the salt creep off the leaves. That eliminates a big headache of having to go in there once or twice a day to mist manually.
I will get pics when some things have come together.

Let me know if you need some help. I'm 10 mins away and only work a few days a week

I can't believe the beast of a project I'm turning this into. It was supposed to be a simple reef tank like I had way back when. No I'm building additions onto my home for the sump! The reality didn't hit me until I was looking at the sump room (and the receipts) today. It was supposed to just be a simple room to hold equipment. Now, I've got a 6ft trough drain running down the middle of the room with full plumbing, sink, and epoxy coated walls. Had to order the paint special from Sherwin Williams. There were only 2 gallons of it in the entire state and had to be transferred from another store. (I should have asked the price first!)
I picked up my Glass Cages DT today. It really looks great. Not as bad a siliconing job I had heard happens with them. I will try and get a simple structure stand built tomorrow and mount it. I will get pics out soon. I so close to getting some saltwater flowing! I can taste it!

Few pics of the sump room.
The faucet near the floor is where the RODI will be hooked into. The waste water from it will be directed into the floor drain. The floor drain runs almost the entire length of the room. There is a handy utility sink and I nice little hole cut into the brick going into the house.
Updates may come a little slow. The next four weeks of the build are small tedious tasks that can't be measured in miles but inches.
606596=28752-IMAG0129.jpg
>
606596=28752-IMAG0129.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0129.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
606596=28749-IMAG0134.jpg
>
606596=28749-IMAG0134.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0134.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
606596=28750-IMAG0135.jpg
>
606596=28750-IMAG0135.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0135.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Dang when did you take those I just left.....LOL

By the way thanks for supper it was awesome. :up:

Eric B;606606 wrote: Dang when did you take those I just left.....LOL

By the way thanks for supper it was awesome. :up:
I'll leave out the blue cheese next time. I think I'm high from the epoxy paint. I applied a second coat inside after you left. That's when the camera came out.

Seth The Wine Guy;606176 wrote: I can't believe the beast of a project I'm turning this into.

Sounds like what I say on every project I do whether it be reef related or anything else!:doh:

Seth The Wine Guy;606617 wrote: I'll leave out the blue cheese next time. I think I'm high from the epoxy paint. I applied a second coat inside after you left. That's when the camera came out.

It was still awesome just was full at that point....LOL! Yes that paint was pretty strong the first go around.

A little progress and a little more inspiration/modification. Have the stand built thanks to Tyson. I don't know if something can be anymore level! The stand is built to hold three times the weight that it needs to but what the heck.
The stand pic is easy to make out. Simple, straight forward. Now, you may ask what the other pic is. (Taken at night) That would be a palate of brick that I picked up today. I plan on bricking out the front and sides of where the tank is going. I was going to buy some anyway for when I build the bar but figured it would be a nice touch. (And 40 hours of more work!)
I will still first install cabinet doors above, below, and on the top sides of the tank.
Eric threatened to keep the sump he's building for me b/c it's so bad a** He refuses to send pics so I can't see it until he brings it over next weekend. I'm dying to see the fruition of his brain child!
I'm trying to get out to CO for a week before the ski season is done so that will delay things. But, the build should soon go into warp drive where I can post some fun pics.
611272=28905-IMAG0154.jpg
>
611272=28905-IMAG0154.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0154.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
611272=28904-IMAG0156.jpg
>
611272=28904-IMAG0156.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0156.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Hands up if your significant other would kill you if you even thought about doing this *raises hand*

Thanh386;611282 wrote: Hands up if your significant other would kill you if you even thought about doing this *raises hand*

I'm pretty sure this would push my wife over the edge. She hasn't complained one bit about the budget so far, though we haven't spent anything yet either, but I'm pretty sure if I showed up with a pallet of bricks she'd ask "At what point do you reach enough?" :thumbs:

I know progress may be slow but there's no denying the results. Eric B has built a sump that live up to the "Epic" in the build threads name. It's a beautiful work of art and engineering. He built it to allow for all the things I wanted the sump to do. I can't think of a better use for an old dinged up 120g.
1. Mangrove Box
2. DSB/Chaeto Box
3. Live Rock Bin
4. Oversized Skimmer section for future upgrades.
5. And a Bubble Trap of course
You can go here for more pics and a video of the sump flow tested with a hose. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59361828@N02/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/59361828@N02/</a>
I will "T" off the drains into different sections of the sump using ball valves to control the amount of flow I want through any given section. (Very slow for the mangrove box)
Next weekend will have the plumbing/manifold in place. I would try putting water in then too if it weren't for the fact that I go out of town the following day.
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/616416=29144-IMAG0190.jpg>
616416=29144-IMAG0190.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0190.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I'm getting closer. REALLY. What I thought would be the warp drive phase is actually the slow-mo phase. Did some plumbing and will finish the plumbing this weekend. Fingers crossed. Close enough that I'm doing dry runs with the aqua-scaping. I will have a ton of dry and live rock left over when it's all said and done. Maybe even some Tonga for you Dave!
My new camera needs the resolution tamed down so that I can upload attachments here. Until then, I'll cheat and direct you here for more pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59361828@N02/?saved=1">http://www.flickr.com/photos/59361828@N02/?saved=1</a>
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/622791=29471-IMAG0240.jpg>
622791=29471-IMAG0240.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0240.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
622791=29472-IMAG0241.jpg
>
622791=29472-IMAG0241.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0241.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
622791=29473-IMAG0242.jpg
>
622791=29473-IMAG0242.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMAG0242.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back