Onlyreefers WB Marine X 110 build

It’s kinda early for that size of UV this early stage of the built. Go slow. lol

It’s kinda early for that size of UV this early stage of the built. Go slow. lol
I haven’t hooked it up yet lol
Requires a lot of unique plumbing and architecture to hook it up right anyway. I would like to skip this dino/cyano problem.

Well, I’ve gone thru all of those in my current system as well. Cyano and Dino and “Diatom” is very different.

You might Still having diatom. This will be in your tank for a while. Like upto a year in some cases. Bigger the tank the longer it will take. Ha

You can tell because it smell sour and blows right off the rocks and sand etc. And will keep coming back. UV wouldn’t help in this case. Your tank just gotta find the balance btw the water that you are using (sillica has to do with it a lot I think). and mirco fauna in the ecosystem as it is added. This will go away on its own.

Cyano usually comes from unbalance of nitrate and phosphate and it takes a longer before is formed in the tank usually. And is around the low flow area and is like a mat. UV will help with killing the water born bacteria so it helps. Just feed more and usually goes away on its own. YMMV

Dino is similar to diatom but has air bubbles in them. UV will help killing the air born bacteria and will help. Avoid things like amino when you see them. Feed less and do more cleaning helped my system in the past.

It went from diatom to Dino to cyano.

Hook that thing up~. You gonna need it since your tank will likely have many fishes.

Well, I’ve gone thru all of those in my current system as well. Cyano and Dino and “Diatom” is very different.

You might Still having diatom. This will be in your tank for a while. Like upto a year in some cases. Bigger the tank the longer it will take. Ha

You can tell because it smell sour and blows right off the rocks and sand etc. And will keep coming back. UV wouldn’t help in this case. Your tank just gotta find the balance btw the water that you are using (sillica has to do with it a lot I think). and mirco fauna in the ecosystem as it is added. This will go away on its own.

Cyano usually comes from unbalance of nitrate and phosphate and it takes a longer before is formed in the tank usually. And is around the low flow area and is like a mat. UV will help with killing the water born bacteria so it helps. Just feed more and usually goes away on its own. YMMV

Dino is similar to diatom but has air bubbles in them. UV will help killing the air born bacteria and will help. Avoid things like amino when you see them. Feed less and do more cleaning helped my system in the past.

It went from diatom to Dino to cyano.

Hook that thing up~. You gonna need it since your tank will likely have many fishes.
Thank ya! Lots of great info in there. I never had a dino issue in my other tanks years ago, but I know it’s what they are. They are starting to dissipate a little though. I’m hoping another algae will out compete them, but yes the silicates are probably the culprit - and nitrate phosphate combo.

I tried turning the skimmer during the day to dirty things up and give more bacteria/algae room to grow, some corals loved it, some acted like babies so I wen’t back to 24/7. I’ve read that the your water could be “too clean”, but everyone’s experience can be different. I also want more rock surface area, but don’t want to mess with the scape.

Anyway, in the past I ran dirty soft coral tanks. This round I was going for pristine clarity and sps one side, lps the other side.. but who knows.

Honestly scared to add more fish, we’re addicted to the gem tang and I don’t want to bring any disease in. I will say.. she does look bored, wish I could give her some hoops or a beach ball to play with lol If you go up to look at the tank, she will swim back and forth in front of your face and block your view.

Now you will want to have more fish in order that your tank can handle the very Bio load, which is the very process in order for us to have a coral thriving in our system.

Unless you are going to have more fish, I won’t recommend adding more rocks or extra surface areas. Consider all the surface as a football field and your coral which is very little in total area into the middle of the field not taking much of the space. All that space need to be covered with bacterias and such, which would take forever so you only slow down your tank from cycling faster. Unless you are using real live rock, that’s different story.

I think your tank is way too clean. You got one fishing that pic your tank is not going to derive or run until you actually go through the whole cycle.

I also suggest you might want to put on CO2 scrubber. Your skimmer is aerating so if you want your corals to grow faster to scrubber on a skimmer.

Now you will want to have more fish in order that your tank can handle the very Bio load, which is the very process in order for us to have a coral thriving in our system.

Unless you are going to have more fish, I won’t recommend adding more rocks or extra surface areas. Consider all the surface as a football field and your coral which is very little in total area into the middle of the field not taking much of the space. All that space need to be covered with bacterias and such, which would take forever so you only slow down your tank from cycling faster. Unless you are using real live rock, that’s different story.

I think your tank is way too clean. You got one fishing that pic your tank is not going to derive or run until you actually go through the whole cycle.

I also suggest you might want to put on CO2 scrubber. Your skimmer is aerating so if you want your corals to grow faster to scrubber on a skimmer.
I gotcha. I do have 5 clowns as well. My torches get iffy when the skimmer is off. Mushrooms are making babies. I’m 3 months in, not including the 2 weeks of salinity overdose. I seeded this tank with 2 mini colonized rocks from other tanks.

Back