Par meter

jeep9783

Market
Reaction score
Just as the title states...I need to borrow a par meter...just installed 2Xfiji purple 48inch overdriven on ice cap t5hos and 2Xuvl super actinic 48inch also over driven...plus two 36inch sunpaq actinics....wanting to make sure that the par is ok for my sps

chris....if you are willing to let me borrow one i can pm u my num...sure i can cough up a frag as well

btw...i looked it up and i have 85wX4=340w of overdriven bulbs and 78w of non over driven so 418w of t5s on standard RR 75gal...most sps at or above 12inches deep....and the color with that bulb setup is freaking amazing

The club has a couple it rents out for $10, last I found you need to PM Showtime305 and/or Skriz. I did so a few days ago but haven't heard anything back yet.

I have not been able to get for about a year now despite emails, PMs, discussions at meeting with officers, etc. Many promises but never been able to get. Good luck.

Joe

Well is there anyone out there that has possibly a similar setup just so i can make sure my coral will be ok...the furthest sps that i am worried about is at or about 8-9 inches...every thing else deeper than that is acans and stuff...just worried by my sps...would like to get some numbers by use of par meter but somone else with similar setup can chime in so that i can atleast sleep without worrin...lol

Well the color has went insane since the addition of these bulbs...wether or not it stays that a diff question...i do need to replace the center brace with clear acyrlic

jhutto;355142 wrote: I have not been able to get for about a year now despite emails, PMs, discussions at meeting with officers, etc. Many promises but never been able to get. Good luck.

Joe

You were pm'd about picking it up, but you never followed through.

Bull manure. I tried to talk with you at the meeting and you blew me off. Here is your note a few days later. Earlier we corresponded and you said to contact showtime which I did and he offered me one day to come to Marrietta to pick up or get later closer to home. I opted to get the one closer and he never responded after several notes.

Joe,

I still have you on the list for the par meter. I'll let you know where we are on the list as soon as I hear back from AJ.

Raj

Many things worked very well with our club but this is not one of them.

Joe

While you're at it, post the pm where I tell you to come get it. You told me you would let me know when was good for you and I didn't hear back; that happens a lot, so I didn't think much of it.

AJ and I are not going to deliver the par meters. If you want one, you have to come get it.

I agree that the par meter's don't work well. Having 2 is even worse as it's harder to keep an accurate list. Soon, both meters will be at one location making this easier.

I have contacted a few other people on the list I have since we spoke. Not one has followed through.

Charlie,
Many thanks for your offer. Sounds good to me. Like your attitude about the issue.
You know have my contact info via pm to arrange.

Joe

Well I didn't want this to be a pissing match...lol...i am just wanting to make sure that my lighting is ok...was thinking last night about ditching the 2 36's and adding an icecap 430 ballast and two more bulbs...any insight on my lighting...or shall we continue to talk about things that should be pmed? I had a hard time as well getting the par meter two years ago from here but that is understandable considering i am on the south side i work alot and there is alot of members wanting to use it...someone give me a link to a good par meter and any input on my lighting setup?

coralvue actinc overdriven 48
fiji purple overdriven 48
coralvue actinc 460nm standard t5ho 36
uvl super actinic overdriven 48
coralvue actinic 460nm standard t5ho 36
fiji purple overdriven 48

I read some where that the fiji purple put out more par than any 12k bulb and most 10k bulbs

jeep9783;355447 wrote:
I read some where that the fiji purple put out more par than any 12k bulb and most 10k bulbs

Although it's shown decent PAR (242 in one test), the Figi Purple is usually used to supplement other fuller spectrum bulbs (much like the actinics) so you might be a little low in regards to PAR with that setup. My concern, however, would be that I'm missing a big chunk of the normal spectrum the corals are used to. What effect will this have over time?

Is that 242 overdriven numbers...i am using the new tek 2 reflectors...all those actinics really make the coral look amazing...i have just been playing with diff bulb config...i may even try a 3k bulb...i can't really find anything talking solely on icecap overdriven bulbs 48inch...been looking and looking that is why i can't really say excatly where i have seen these numbers...I did see that the uvl super actinic puts out something like 314 par but i don't think that was overdriven numbers...as welll as i think that was 36inch bulbs

Ok if i am not alowed to do this please delete

KZ T5 lamps tested PAR readings!!!
This is for 39w lamps:

UVL Aquasun 554 PAR
KZ Fiji Purple 704
KZ Coral Light 740

This is work done by 'The Grim Reefer'. The UVL Aquasun is just less than an ATI day and a GE 3K. So basically these lamps have ~25%-30% more PAR and all I've heard about the fiji purple are great things. I have heard that some prefer the Aquasun to the Coral Light though, but it's all personal preference.

Most of the PAR testing that I've run across was using normally driven ballasts. I've done some testing in the past on overdriven bulbs and found that it would increase PAR about 15 - 25% for most bulbs except actinics. I would get a little more PAR but it usually wasn't significant and the bulbs didn't appear to be significantly brighter either (there was a discernable difference in brightness on all the other bulbs). Given what I found in those tests (which were certainly not scientific by any stretch of the imagination), I've stopped overdriving my actinics. 314 PAR on a UVL SA would surprise me! That's usually what you can expect out of a normally driven UVL Aquasun. Alot of that would depend on how the testing is being done, though. As far as reflectors, the Tek II are fine for a 75. I usually run a combination using the Tek II for my actinics or any bulb that I'm using as supplimental and then the IceCap SLRs for all other bulbs. The Tek IIs are wider which gives better dispersion while the IceCaps are narrower and more focus which gives better PAR numbers. This would especially be true over taller tanks.

well with the two fiji's showing 704par at 39w (i am sure that is at one inch measurement out of water) i should be ok (right?)...i just overdrive b/c i here that it keeps the par up deeper in the water

Back