Par meter

Not sure where those numbers came from but all the numbers I've been able to find have all been for 54 watters and the PAR has been between 242 and 342 for the Figi Purple. Unfortunately, I never tested the Figi Purple but may have to get me a few!

Here's a compliation someone put together from the RC pages of Grim's PAR readings for 54 watt normally driven bulbs:

a>

He never states at what depth he is testing though....that is what is killing me...I am just gonna buy a par meter and do the crap myself...with depths overdriven and non overdriven...all the info out there and i can't really find any thing that is solid...the way people pick apart skimmers and MH you would think someone would have done this by now with an icecap ballast and every freakin bulb and reflector out there in all lengths

Just remember, these are all just reference numbers. Every system (ballasts, reflectors and bulbs) is going to be different as is the water quality, temp of the bulb, etc. all which have to be taken into consideration when it comes to the output you'll be getting. Try not to chase numbers but focus on what's going to be best for your livestock and the look you want. Very often we need to make compromises for the benefit of good husbandry.

Well I did add a 10k today for fear of loosing any of my sps...Isn't there a 15k bulb or 14k that still produces good par but still makes the color pop?

Charlie,
Many thanks for the par meter. I appreciate the offer and am now taking measurements. Thanks for being so responsive, especially with your move back to Atlanta and all the issues you are dealing with your tanks. I must say you have an interesting combination of stuff I saw. This is what the club is all about... helping each other out. :yay:

Joe

Back