Pics of an Acro Pack I just got....I like!

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
I just received an Acro Pack from an online retailer that I thought I'd share. I won't say who it was just yet. I want to validate their hardiness first but out of the bag, they're looking pretty good.

I wish I knew how to tag each picture but since I don't....here they are in order:

3 Shades Acro
4 Shades Acro
Aussie Tri-color Valida Acro
Aussie Valida Acro
Mello Yello Milli
Purple Bonsai Acro
Toxic Waste Acro
Ultra Aussie Tenuis Acro
Ultra Milli

tonymission;980911 wrote: Very nice. Love those mille's especially... Reef pets? :)

Looks like it. I have found them to be hit and miss on acros. These look like they are grown out by him, but a lot he puts on Ebay are maricultured, freshly cut....

tonymission;980911 wrote: Very nice. Love those mille's especially... Reef pets? :)

Indeed they are Reef Pets. I've tried a couple of others and the stuff they sent me was fresh cut and didn't make it more than a week. So far, I'm impressed with the size of these especially for the price that I paid for them. I got a total of 10 frags for $100 shipped. Most are at least an inch tall...some even taller or multi-tipped. We'll see as time goes on.

The 6th one is a Garf Bonsai. It can be a fast grower. That's a lot of green sps which is good. Green sps are easier to morph into magnificent pieces but there are some that don't.

So does he post frag packs on ebay from time to time or did you buy them as individuals and work out a shipping deal??

porpoiseaquatics;980920 wrote: Indeed they are Reef Pets. I've tried a couple of others and the stuff they sent me was fresh cut and didn't make it more than a week. So far, I'm impressed with the size of these especially for the price that I paid for them. I got a total of 10 frags for $100 shipped. Most are at least an inch tall...some even taller or multi-tipped. We'll see as time goes on.

Can't beat that deal! Only reason I knew is because I've also purchased a pack from him. Everything looked solid on my end, just didn't have the different bright color tips as shown in his pictures. Not sure if they lost the color or photos were enhanced but they're doing well in my tank and getting more interesting. He was professional throughout the process.

MarquiseO;980923 wrote: The 6th one is a Garf Bonsai. It can be a fast grower. That's a lot of green sps which is good. Green sps are easier to morph into magnificent pieces but there are some that don't.
indeed it is a bonsai but not Garf Bonsai.Garf has specific lineage but its become commonplace for any purple acro with green polyps to be called Garf Bonsai.
great pack and great price.i really hope you dipped them because Gary has sent me frags with aefw on them.just a warning

reeferman;980956 wrote: indeed it is a bonsai but not Garf Bonsai.Garf has specific lineage but its become commonplace for any purple acro with green polyps to be called Garf Bonsai.
great pack and great price.i really hope you dipped them because Gary has sent me frags with aefw on them.just a warning
That's the common name that floats around for that acro. I am not into that whole lineage thing. That's just an attempt to say "my corals came from this person first and yours didn't".

not really.the true Garf Bonsai grows much differently[truly bonsai shaped] without the straight branches that a typical acropora secale produces.if you notice,Reef Pets did not call it Garf and we should not either.he called it just what it is,purple bonsai.
it has nothing to do with who "got it first".it is about getting a true aquacultured coral that will grow and color exactly like[in most cases] the mother colony.there is nothing worse[IMO]than buying a coral thought to be one thing and it turns out to be something totally different.just because it may resemble one coral does not mean it is the same.not saying one is any better than the other,just saying that if you are buying expecting something specific,you should get it.
lineage in corals is just like pedigree in dogs and i hardly doubt many people would discount a dogs bloodline as not being important.if its not your thing then its just not your thing but to many,it is very important.

reeferman;980960 wrote: it has nothing to do with who "got it first".it is about getting a true aquacultured coral that will grow and color exactly like[in most cases] the mother colony.there is nothing worse[imo]than buying a coral thought to be one thing and it turns out to be something totally different.just because it may resemble one coral does not mean it is the same.not saying one is any better than the other,just saying that if you are buying expecting something specific,you should get it.
Lineage in corals is just like pedigree in dogs and i hardly doubt many people would discount a dogs bloodline as not being important.if its not your thing then its just not your thing but to many,it is very important.

+1

reeferman;980960 wrote: not really.the true Garf Bonsai grows much differently[truly bonsai shaped] without the straight branches that a typical acropora secale produces.if you notice,Reef Pets did not call it Garf and we should not either.he called it just what it is,purple bonsai.
it has nothing to do with who "got it first".it is about getting a true aquacultured coral that will grow and color exactly like[in most cases] the mother colony.there is nothing worse[IMO]than buying a coral thought to be one thing and it turns out to be something totally different.just because it may resemble one coral does not mean it is the same.not saying one is any better than the other,just saying that if you are buying expecting something specific,you should get it.
lineage in corals is just like pedigree in dogs and i hardly doubt many people would discount a dogs bloodline as not being important.if its not your thing then its just not your thing but to many,it is very important.
SPS shape is not determined by the colony it came from. It is determined by water flow. High water flow produces thick branching structures and low produces thin. Just because you buy a piece doesn't mean you will get the same color and shape. Color is determined by the proper parameters being in check to excite the right fluorescent proteins. Even then you might have expected a blue color but instead you got a purple or green. So buying based on a lineage is a waste.

MarquiseO;981006 wrote: SPS shape is not determined by the colony it came from. It is determined by water flow. High water flow produces thick branching structures and low produces thin. Just because you buy a piece doesn't mean you will get the same color and shape. Color is determined by the proper parameters being in check to excite the right fluorescent proteins. Even then you might have expected a blue color but instead you got a purple or green. So buying based on a lineage is a waste.

Well hopefully you'll hook me up with some of those high priced zoas for a couple bucks then! :shades:

I have maybe 4-5 sticks that don't have the color that I was expecting or that mirrors the mother colony. That's out of 50-60 pieces. Most of them are holding true or no one would pay for something they expect to look one way and ends up looking a different way. What would be the point? Either my parameters are exactly in line with different vendors or lineage matters a bit.

Now comparing these crazy colored wild colony pics that guys are trying to sell two weeks out of the ocean is a different story. But when a colony has been aquacultured and proven to do well in our glass cages, it's safe for one to expect to get the same sort of coloration and branching even if one is thicker than the other assuming other general parameters are in line. My basic orange branching monti (first sps) is thicker than just about every other one I've seen since it's in max flow, but it's still obvious what it is.

tonymission;981011 wrote: Well hopefully you'll hook me up with some of those high priced zoas for a couple bucks then! :shades:

I have maybe 4-5 sticks that don't have the color that I was expecting or that mirrors the mother colony. That's out of 50-60 pieces. Most of them are holding true or no one would pay for something they expect to look one way and ends up looking a different way. What would be the point? Either my parameters are exactly in line with different vendors or lineage matters a bit.

Now comparing these crazy colored wild colony pics that guys are trying to sell two weeks out of the ocean is a different story. But when a colony has been aquacultured and proven to do well in our glass cages, it's safe for one to expect to get the same sort of coloration and branching even if one is thicker than the other assuming other general parameters are in line. My basic orange branching monti (first sps) is thicker than just about every other one I've seen since it's in max flow, but it's still obvious what it is.

It means you have the right parameters in check of only some of your sps. Nice try, if I have to pay that cash you will too lol. Here is my thought behind aquacultured and wild caught: I think the reason why aquacultured corals last long is because of the resistance to home reef tank bacteria. These corals grow in our reef tank are exposed to newer and different strands of bacteria that are not present in the ocean and as they grow, they develop a resistance. Wild colonies on the other hand are pull directly from the ocean and put in a home aquarium with little to no resistance to the bacteria our tanks have developed. Most just rtn away and some make it.

I came up with this from observing my yumas which wild often get bacterial infections and melt away. Aquacultured on the other hand thrive.

not to be facetious but i hardly doubt you could teach me anything about growing acroporas lol.the branch structure can and will be directly influenced by what species it is.no matter how much flow you have,try to make a red dragon get thick fat branches like an abrotanoides...not gonna happen.
if you buy a known lineaged piece and you cant get the colors that the original has then you have a water quality problem.if your purple monster is not purple then you are not doing something right.
true lineaged aquacultured acros under the correct conditions will almost always show their true colors.dont blame the lack of the proper coloring on the luck of the draw.
obviously if you think buying on lineage is a waste,im not gonna change your mind but to say its a waste because of morphing is just total crap.lineaged aquacultured acros are known for maintaining their colors under the correct conditions.not being able to maintain the correct conditions is not the "name games" problem.
again,not trying to be rude but if you dont understand this,then you have not been in the acro game quite long enough.
wild and maricultured acros are known for morphing but aquacultured are generally very stable and true to their lineage.
there will always be folks who say buying a name is a waste so i wont even begin to try to make you understand.

reeferman;981016 wrote: not to be facetious but i hardly doubt you could teach me anything about growing acroporas lol.the branch structure can and will be directly influenced by what species it is.no matter how much flow you have,try to make a red dragon get thick fat branches like an abrotanoides...not gonna happen.
if you buy a known lineaged piece and you cant get the colors that the original has then you have a water quality problem.if your purple monster is not purple then you are not doing something right.
true lineaged aquacultured acros under the correct conditions will almost always show their true colors.dont blame the lack of the proper coloring on the luck of the draw.
obviously if you think buying on lineage is a waste,im not gonna change your mind but to say its a waste because of morphing is just total crap.lineaged aquacultured acros are known for maintaining their colors under the correct conditions.not being able to maintain the correct conditions is not the "name games" problem.
again,not trying to be rude but if you dont understand this,then you have not been in the acro game quite long enough.
wild and maricultured acros are known for morphing but aquacultured are generally very stable and true to their lineage.
there will always be folks who say buying a name is a waste so i wont even begin to try to make you understand.

Don't worry I won't change your views with modern marine biology. You will soon read about it :)

whoa...wait a minute.you mean to tell me lineage means something in zs and ps but not acros?not quite getting the logic there.
so if you paid big bucks for some krakatoas and they morphed on you,you would just chock it up to the luck of the draw??
absolutely not.you paid for a krak and you would want to get a krak!
i dont need to "read" about it.ive grown enough acros to have first hand knowledge about what they do.i prefer to base my opinions on real world experience not something ive read somewhere.
just because i read something doesnt mean that everything i know to be true has suddenly turned false. based on your responses on acros,i would stick to mushrooms and zoanthids honestly.

reeferman;981022 wrote: whoa...wait a minute.you mean to tell me lineage means something in zs and ps but not acros?not quite getting the logic there.
so if you paid big bucks for some krakatoas and they morphed on you,you would just chock it up to the luck of the draw??
absolutely not.you paid for a krak and you would want to get a krak!

I've never spent over 20pp on a zoa and never will. I never said lineage was something in zoas. I simply give the morphs the common name in which everyone knows. Paly morphs can be influenced by amount of amount of light specifically high and low lighting. For example, I know that my dayglo volcanos will remain dayglos volcanos if I kept them in low light but if I put them in high light they will morph into another maul variation. It doesn't matter if you got them from CB, Cherry corals, or any other seller. The conditions control the outcome. They can morph or even melt which is what most maul variations do.

Back