ReefStinger's 160 new build. Advice please

reefstinger

Market
Reaction score
OK i purchased a new 60x30x22 tall tank with stand. It has dual back built in overflows, bottom drilled 4x . This new setup i plan on adding to my living room upstairs, sitting on hardwood. My sump and refuge tank will be below in the basement. I will need at least 12to 15ft head pressure pump. Kind of confused about getting a in sump or external sump return pump? also what size sump do i need for this setup. What size pvc pipe should be used. I have a 200 gallon rated skimmer (aqua maxx ) . Any advice would be appreciated. this tank will house fish /live rock and softies.:yay: any pics for large setup are welcomed

I'm in the process of setting up a 100 with a basement sump. I purchased a Reeflo Tarpon a couple years ago when I first move, but am just getting around to setting it up now.

By the time you get done with valves, Ts and Ls, you will have a lot more than 12-15 feet of head pressure. There is a good calculator on Reef Central for calculating head pressure. I found an update to the program the other day that added a lot more pumps, but I can't find it now.

That being said, I really wish I would have bought the Panworld 200 or 250. I had hoped to plumb everything (tank, media reactors, frag tank, refugium and holding tank) off of the one pump, but it just won't be enough. Your pump will dictate your plumbing size.

I used a 40 gallon breeder for a sump. Go as big as you can. Find and old 75 or even an old 120 and have the glass shop cut you some baffles.

My best advice would be to plan it all out on paper before you buy anything and leave room for expansion.

Here is the link with the additional pumps
showthread.php

I will be taking down a 90 that is pretty scratched up would make a great sump if anyone is interested.
I also have a brand new MRC sump I believe is about 30 gallons, it still has the paper on it. It won't fit under my stand is the reason I'm selling it

I would run 2" min as a return line from the basement up to the tank regardless of the pump. Even if you go with a pressure rated pump with a 3'4 " outlet using the larger pipe will reduce the total head loss.

grouper therapy;744536 wrote: I would run 2" min as a return line from the basement up to the tank regardless of the pump. Even if you go with a pressure rated pump with a 3'4 " outlet using the larger pipe will reduce the total head loss.

I plan to do this also... though I have to say, it feels weird adapting a 3/4" pump outlet to a large pipe.

OK, its 10 o'clock now Saturday morning, my new tank and stand to be delivered at 11 to 11:30 am !! so excited like a KID in the candy store!!! I'm getting my new setup waiting patiently to begin . YAH

grouper therapy;744536 wrote: I would run 2" min as a return line from the basement up to the tank regardless of the pump. Even if you go with a pressure rated pump with a 3'4 " outlet using the larger pipe will reduce the total head loss.

Sorry to hijack, but can someone explain this concept to me. I don't understand it, and I have seen several people post/recommend it.

Thanks in advance!

That's Great!!!

reefstinger;747856 wrote: OK, its 10 o'clock now Saturday morning, my new tank and stand to be delivered at 11 to 11:30 am !! so excited like a KID in the candy store!!! I'm getting my new setup waiting patiently to begin . YAH

Cool tank, I like those dimensions... it is deep, so you can do some awesome aquascaping!

JeffMuse;748058 wrote: Cool tank, I like those dimensions... it is deep, so you can do some awesome aquascaping!
Actually I had it wrong , its 60x30 x
inches tall:blush:

reefstinger;748207 wrote: Actually I had it wrong , its 60x30 x 20
inches tall:blush:

thats it.BTW Grouper ,Thanks , I will have 2 x 1-/2 in drains connected , to a 2 in drain into the sump. any ideas how I can stop the powerful downfall from washing away my 75 gal sump. its dimensions are 4 ft x 18 in x 20 in tall. right side is drilled 2 in bulkhead for return pump. :unsure:

realstinger
>http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/realstinger/?action=view&current=newsetp155010.jpg</a>

After scratching my head , getting Ideas from nice folks like you all. I drill 3 holes today under my cabinet, Im taking both outside 1-1/4 " drains adapted quickly below bulkheads to a 2" drain lines straight down under cabinet into the basement, put the noise of drainage in basement.Then I drilled one 1-1/2" hole directly under middle of display tank/cabinet to the basement for the return. My plans are to connect the 2" drains and reduce into the sump separately 1-1/2" or 1-1/4" into socks. PUMP has arrived, a bit overkill i would say. I got a Reeflo hammerhead/barracuda pump. I will have to change to the lower head pressure barracuda impeller, tee off above the discharge side with ball valve and send some water pressure back into the sump. then above that tee I will have another 1-1/2 " pvc ball valve and throttle back the pressure into the DT. My sump is 4 ft long , 18" wide and 18" deep. I'm posting a pic so maybe u guys/gals can give me a idea on the used sump design. the far right side of the sump already has a 2" bulkhead for the pump suction. a small chamber there for return water. I want to put both tank drains into the far left side and then add bubble traps into the almost middle of the sump for a small 12" wide refugium? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. :unsure:

Edit: What a mess i created!!! I have Im'd Mojo for deletion?? duh!!

Back