Repairing a Reefkeeper 2 (RK2) display.

giulianom

Market
Reaction score
Thought you all would like to see what it takes to repair a Reefkeeper 2 module with a bad display.

Here's the front:

1mIKDJXl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Here's the back:

VQXIyNWl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

There's three things I'm going to do to the module:

<ul>
<li>Replace the LCD display board on the front.</li>
<li>Replace the Ethernet-style cable on the back.</li>
<li>Replace the soldered-in CR2032 battery with a battery holder, so that the battery can be replaced in the future.</li>
</ul>

I'm basing these repairs on the Reefcentral thread, for reference:
showthread.php

Using a soldering iron and a solder sucker (a spring-loaded vacuum pump), I unsoldered the LCD display from the main board.

wjmZ5jMl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I also clipped off the battery and wires, and removed the solder from those.

The small pads where the wires were connected (CN7) are labeled with standard Ethernet cable color codes (L-R):

<ul>
<li>OR/ - Orange Stripe</li>
<li>OR - Orange</li>
<li>GR/ - Green Stripe</li>
<li>BL - Blue</li>
<li>BL/ - Blue Stripe</li>
<li>GR - Green</li>
<li>BR/ - Brown Stripe</li>
<li>BR - Brown</li>
</ul>
MgeIh0ll.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Here's the old LCD display (top, blue) and the new LCD display (bottom, green).

aB7sl3ul.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Tomorrow, I need to find a low-profile CR2032 battery holder to hold the battery - it has to be less than 5mm high, otherwise the board won't fit back into the case.

The battery holder needs to be soldered in first, since it's on the back and the pins face front towards the LCD.

Note - Pin 3 must be unconnected, otherwise the contrast will be wrong on the green LCD.

Here are the specs on the LCD:
http://www.newhavendisplay.com/specs/NHD-0216HZ-FL-YBW-C.pdf">http://www.newhavendisplay.com/specs/NHD-0216HZ-FL-YBW-C.pdf</a>

Pin 3 is NC - not connected.

Always impressed with your technical skills Giuliano! Congrats on the promotion BTW!

Curtismaximus;875397 wrote: Always impressed with your technical skills Giuliano! Congrats on the promotion BTW!

Lol, thanks. :)

I was honored to be asked, and I said yes...

I will most likely run for office for real in the fall, for next year.

Back