Rich's 120 Build.

Raz0945;964189 wrote: Nice legs Rich! hehehe You have salt in your blood and it will never let you go.... :D

LOL. I was hoping for compliments on my build thread but never thought it would be for my legs. :)

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

Ringo[emoji768 wrote: ;964194]Only because it pairs with tequila so well.

I never touch the stuff. Ice House is much colder. :)

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

HiImSean;964204 wrote: Awesome Rich! I love following peoples build threads :D

Well you will have to wait a bit longer before you see the pics of the stand. Right they are just in my head and I don't think anyone is brave enough to crawl in there to see what's there. :) Sometimes it scares even me!!!

Tagging along. Peach state lumber in ackworth has a lot of different lumber/wood for furniture building.

russ;964264 wrote: Tagging along. Peach state lumber in ackworth has a lot of different lumber/wood for furniture building.

Is that the one off of Jiles Road? I heard there is one there that is pretty good.

Thanks for the heads up. I forgot about them. I will have to make a trip over one day.

Spent a little time today in AutoCAD putting together my thoughts on the stand and canopy. Tell me what you think.

The raised portion on the left will have a removable lid. This area will be for the skimmer so I can put one as tall as I like and it can be emptied and/or removed from the top or the front. Doors will be removable and attached with magnets. The right panel will also be removable to allow for complete removal of the sump if I need to.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
964353=54627-120 Stand and Canopy-Model.jpg
>
964353=54627-120 Stand and Canopy-Model.jpg
class="gc-images" title="120 Stand and Canopy-Model.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Tagging along. Very unusual design there Rich. But that will reduce the viewing area on the left side, and you can't slide your magfloat across that bottom half either.

The left side is up against the wall so the reduced viewing area isn't a huge deal. But to be honest, I hadn't thought about a mag float. May need to think about that a bit more. Thanks for pointing that out.

Leak test and vinegar soak in progress. Need to get a few more gallons of vinegar. So far, no obvious leaks and it is cleaning up nice. Couple of very minor chips in one back corner but not bad and hidden by the overflow.

Not too shabby for a $100 tank. :). By the way, that is less than a dollar a gallon for those keeping score at home.

7uqyzuty.jpg
alt="" />

GiulianoM;965621 wrote: Too late. :)

LOL. Bout time you got some fish. :)

Picked up a couple of small tanks today that I plan on plumbing together as part of my sump. Can't beat free. :)

Also bought a Reef Octopus DNW150 6" skimmer with three neck extensions for $100. Came with the original pump as well as a bubble blaster that may need a bit of work.

russ;964264 wrote: Tagging along. Peach state lumber in ackworth has a lot of different lumber/wood for furniture building.

+1 they have the best selection in GA, IMO. That and they are tolerant of cherry picking the nice pieces.

Thanks. But, I think we are going painted. Saw a stand at Pure Reef that is antique white. Looks fantastic. I may give that a try. If I can pull it off it will look great and I can use cheaper lumber.

On another note. One of the two free tanks I picked up Sunday is a nice little rimless. Too nice to make a sump out of it. May use it as a QT tank.

Antique white is nice. When you look for a cheaper wood don't look at pine, especially white pine. It's too soft for the abuse of a stand.

Are you going to brush it or spray it? Spraying it is best, but a good brush job will work too. Rolling it would be my last choice, unless you use a foam roller.

It will be oak plywood and most likely poplar for the banding and solid surface.

I have a compressor and gun so I will shoot the whit. Then uses brush for a light coat of brown and a rag to wipe it off to give the antique look. At least that is the initial thought. Going to do a little research and a few samples first though to be sure I get the right affect.

Bgcoop8784;966169 wrote: Check out milk paint if you haven't already, when I do a tank for our bedroom it's how I'll be doing mine. My neighbor just repainted some old dressers and they turned out awesome.

I will check that out. Never heard of it.

Back