Rich's 120 Build.

it would be neat if you used old fashioned milk paint to get an antique/distressed finish. Milk paint has been used off and on for thousands of years. Basically it is made from milk with lime and pigments. Tons of old family recipes out there and is also made commercially. Most of it I have seen, including my great grandmothers dresser from the 1840's, has a softer "velvet like" appearance but is actually pretty durable and easy to touch up. It is neat also that you can strip it off with ammonia but regular paint strippers don't usually work. Also has no VOCs and is a "green product". Pretty cool stuff.

rdnelson99;966164 wrote: It will be oak plywood and most likely poplar for the banding and solid surface.

I would NOT use oak plywood and try to antique it (the "antique' process you are speaking of is called glazing). The grain on the oak plywood is to bold and the glaze will stick in the grain and overpower everything. This may not be what you are looking for. Usually when you paint a surface you do not want the grain of the wood to be prominent in the final product. You could get a standard "sanded" plywood and paint that. It would be better.

As far as milk paint goes... you should consider the function of the piece you are finishing. This is NOT a dresser and the requirements for durability are therefore different. Milk paint has a unique "OLD COUNTRY" look that cannot be reproduced without using milk paint, but it is not as durable as newer paints and may not hold up to spilling water on it over an extended amount of time. Further, if you want to glaze the stand it will not work well with milk paint. The finish of the paint will dictate how the glaze affects the final product. Milk paint is a low sheen and it will suck the glaze up and your bright white will turn brown and look dirty.

What you are trying to do is not a difficult process, but there are small details that need to be considered that will make your final product a success or failure.

Thanks Russ. Good advice.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

BTW. I see you are in Cumming. May get you to swing by one day when I get close to that point in the build. :)

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

rdnelson99;966225 said:
BTW. I see you are in Cumming. May get you to swing by one day when I get close to that point in the build. :)QUOTE]

Absolutely... I would be more than happy to. Where are you located?

I am in the Bethelview / Kellymill area

Hey Rich

I like the lime paint idea, so much that I was considering it for the build that I've been putting off for a while. I've also got a bunch of old pine that has been limed, or pickeled ( some of it is heart and some is quatersawn, there is even a few rift sawn as well), that came from our old log cabin. This stuff would need some work before you but any power tools to it, yeah it has nails in it.

Give me a call if you want some.

oh... if you need help making something "distressed", I'll rent you the kids for a couple of hours. They can distress <u>anything</u>, especially the 4 year old- if fact they have distressed a door, the car, a couple of walls and even a window so far.
;-)

russ;966228 wrote:
rdnelson99;966225 said:
BTW. I see you are in Cumming. May get you to swing by one day when I get close to that point in the build. :)QUOTE]

Absolutely... I would be more than happy to. Where are you located?

I am in the Bethelview / Kellymill area

I am straight north of you. North of Old Federal Hwy on the Dawson County line.

Sewer Urchin;966249 wrote: Hey Rich

I like the lime paint idea, so much that I was considering it for the build that I've been putting off for a while. I've also got a bunch of old pine that has been limed, or pickeled ( some of it is heart and some is quatersawn, there is even a few rift sawn as well), that came from our old log cabin. This stuff would need some work before you but any power tools to it, yeah it has nails in it.

Give me a call if you want some.

oh... if you need help making something "distressed", I'll rent you the kids for a couple of hours. They can distress <u>anything</u>, especially the 4 year old- if fact they have distressed a door, the car, a couple of walls and even a window so far.
;-)

LOL. I have kids remember. LOL. I would love to have some of that old lumber. My problem is I don't have a jointer or plane.

Hey rich aren't you having second thoughts about getting back in. Don't you want to just give the tank away to a good home? ;) don't you? Lol just kidding man can't wait to see this build

[ QUOTE=jtsreef;966259]Hey rich aren't you having second thoughts about getting back in. Don't you want to just give the tank away to a good home? ;) don't you? Lol just kidding man can't wait to see this build[/QUOTE]

Nice try. But you already have a tank remember???? :)

Emptied the vinegar water out of the tank tonight. Cleaned up nice. Only issue I see is the front vertical silicone. Whoever redid it did not do a nice job and it is not clear. Going to have to cut it out and replace it.

On another note, I met a neighbor who has lived down the street a bit. He has lived there for maybe 6 or 9 months. So what's the big deal about that?? His name is Tito and he is a service tech for SEA. :) He offered to give me hand when I get ready to set up the tank. Nice to have an expert close by. :)

I've known Tito a long time. He's a great guy. He was a member here, just don't think he's around much anymore.

I knew he lived there just had never met him. When my old tank was sitting in the driveway waiting to sell he stopped and talk to one of my daughters. He offered to help then too. Guess he thought I was getting ready to set it up not sell it. LOL. Do you remember his screen name?

LOL. Thought about that after my last post. I have talked to him here but I didn't put two and two together.

LOL. Between the two of us he will never have to buy his own beer. :)

rdnelson99;966350 wrote: LOL. Between the two of us he will never have to buy his own beer. :)

LOL so true,

The guy could drink for months and never spend a dime.

I have been playing around this evening and have vinegar water flowing in my mixing tank. I came up stairs to listen for the pump and could heat it. There is no need to have it run all night so I needed to turn it off.

My breakfast room is above my sump room and I didn't want to climb the stairs so I got my phone and turned the pump off via Apex Fusion

So cool!!!!

Back