Rich's 120 Build.

My plan (if I can resist) is to not set my tank up until I can afford an Apex or a RKE. Not sure I can pull that one off but you have to have goals right. LOL

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

rdnelson99;966370 wrote: My plan (if I can resist) is to not set my tank up until I can afford an Apex or a RKE. Not sure I can pull that one off but you have to have goals right. LOL

Sounds like a great goal!!!

Made some progress. No, not on the stand! On getting this left over lumber out of the way so I can start the stand. :) Just have to round off the top of the backrest.

vudeqy3a.jpg
alt="" />

esa2yhy3.jpg
alt="" />

jahabuty.jpg
alt="" />

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

russ;966702 wrote: Very nice. I kinda like the straight back

I rounded the last one I did and I like it much better. The straight back just looks odd to me. All the lines on the chair are curved and that one straight line just looks out of place to me.

Hey Rich glad your back!
Just read your progress, good looking tank and nice chair but I'm really jealous!
Wish I had a big, clean, white driveway like yours :)

LOL with four vehicles it isn't big enough. Gets to be a pain shuffling cars around when everyone leaves at different times.

Rich give me a call the first of the week. I have some stuff you may want and at the best price ever free and some next to free. Pm me if you don't have my number. Also keep in mind that you are welcome to use any machinery I have that you don't such as a spray rig and booth.

You are the Man!! :). Definitely will take all the advice your willing to give:)

First question would be...do you have a lathe?

OK. Last shots of the chair. I promise. I think it looks better with the rounded backrest.

a9yhaber.jpg
alt="" />

ju6a4y9u.jpg
alt="" />

enupepep.jpg
alt="" />

OK Dave, here is my first question for the master. :) You will see in pic number 1 that the left edge of the tank centers over the left hand door. I am concerned about the ability to support that end of the tank. I would like for the front panel to look like "E1" so I have full access to the underside. Or, I could go with E2. In your opinion, would either of these option provide adequate support? If it came to it, I could go with E1 and put a 2"x4" leg under the horizontal 2"x4".
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
966822=54821-120 Stand and Canopy 02-Front Panel Plywood.jpg
>
966822=54821-120 Stand and Canopy 02-Front Panel Plywood.jpg
class="gc-images" title="120 Stand and Canopy 02-Front Panel Plywood.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
966822=54820-120 Stand and Canopy 02-Full Setup.jpg
>
966822=54820-120 Stand and Canopy 02-Full Setup.jpg
class="gc-images" title="120 Stand and Canopy 02-Full Setup.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

The only way to support a door like E1 would be to hinge it from the top or bottom or make it removable. you could make the front come completely off and held on by a few pieces of Velcro. I have done that before.

I would make it removable and make two design changes:

1) make the panel(s) on the higher left side go all the way to the base and hinge it like a door. This will give you easy access to regularly maintained items and give you clean straight lines.

2) make the large panel completely removable, but make it look like two doors to break it up a little.

The left side will be near a wall and not accessible. That is why that section is raised up. I can put an extra tall skimmer in that area (bought one last week with three neck extensions). It will be accessible from the front but also from the top. That flat top will hinge up or be lift off. :)

All doors will be removable. Figuring magnets to hold them on but may look at Velcro. Magnets should help align them though.

The right side lower panel will be removable so the entire sump can be removed if need be. :)

The canopy will be split lengthways so the whole front hinges up. But the doors will also open for quick access.

E1 can be constructed to support that end of the tank , no problem. Then I would still make the door in two sections with a false stile in between that opens with one of the doors.

I am in the middle of a lathe restoration now so yes I will have it running by then. I wold also look into something perhaps from Osborne Wood Products

That's good news Dave. I was planning on the false stile unless I had to go with a real one for support. Will a single 3/4 ply be adequate or would it need a second on laminated to the back side to give proper strength.

The reason I asked about the lathe was to replace the square column trim with more of a rounded table leg. But with the different lengths I am not sure it would work. I will have to think about that one. :)

It depends on high tall the one you are using is. Remember that the height of the beam is where the strength lies . For example a single 5 1/2" top rail would support more than 3 3 1/2" glued side by side.

Getting the oil changed in my wife's car and then it's off to pick up the first load of lumber to start the stand build.

Back