RK2 Logging Software Released

cameron

Market
Reaction score
Title says it all...

a>

Suuuuuuuuuweeet!!!

Since my tank is about 50 feet from my comp, is there some way to transmit the signal wirelessly?

<span style="color: black;">I&#8217;m talking about the splitter that allows you to have the temp probe and serial cable connected to the unit at the same time.</span>

the temp probe goes into the part that looks like a phone/network jack... a serial connector is the thing that looks like where you pulg in a monitor:
9pinmf.jpg
alt="" />

To do a firmware upgrade, you have to unplug the temp probe and connect in the phone jack to serial cable included with the RKII purchase. Can you simply buy a phone jack splitter and run both at the same time?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

<span style="color: black;">The other end of the serial connection to the pc is an RJ-11 connector. That RJ-11 connector needs to be plugged into the Reefkeeper base unit in addition to the temp probe. A splitter is needed to provide 2 RJ-11 jacks since the base unit only has 1 jack. That is what I'm referring too.</span>
<span style="color: black;"></span>
<span style="color: black;">Tony. I am a shame. I hope you did not post those discriptions for me. J/K</span>

There are a few threads in the DA section on RC. You won't be able to connect a wireless device directly to the unit, but you can use a laptop as the host/server PC for the until and connect to it via wireless.

Instead of going wireless, how about this:

1) Buy a phone jack splitter to run the temp probe and data out at the same time.
2) Buy a phone extension cable and plug the RKII data out into my wall phone jack in my living room.
3) Connect my PC to another wall phone jack in my room using the supplied serial cable that came with the RKII.

I don't have a landline, so hopefully there wouldn't be any interference. Do you think the PC and RKII will be able to talk to each other this way?

That should work. Keep in mind that the spilitter has to be a 6 connection splitter for it to work. Your standard fax/phone splitters are usually 4 connections.

Showtime305 wrote: That should work. Keep in mind that the spilitter has to be a 6 connection splitter for it to work. Your standard fax/phone splitters are usually 4 connections.

Hmm, my wall jacks only have 4 connections, so it probably wouldn't work.

So where do you buy the 6 connection splitter?

oh... hahahaha!!!! Im retarded. I forgot the serial port connected via RJ-11

<span style="color: black;">That most likely will not work. You may be able to upgrade the jack on your own, if you know how. If the line needs upgrading also, that can be a little more troublesome.</span>

Showtime305 wrote: <span style="color: black;">That most likely will not work. You may be able to upgrade the jack on your own, if you know how. If the line needs upgrading also, that can be a little more troublesome.</span>

If you look at the supplied serial to RJ-11 cable included with the RKII, it only uses pins 3, 4, and 6. If I modded the cable to use pins 3, 4, and 5 and made the same mods on the other cable connector, it might work.

I just can't use pin 6 b/c it looks like standard phone lines only use pins 2-5 of the 6 pin RJ-11 connector.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong before I go modding.

It doesn't look like one of these splitters will even fit between the remote and pH probe connections, so one might have to buy a short extension cable to connect between the RKII and this splitter.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
27688=1771-B000BSHMPW_01-A38M5MWFO1KP4F__AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
>
27688=1771-B000BSHMPW_01-A38M5MWFO1KP4F__AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
class="gc-images" title="B000BSHMPW_01-A38M5MWFO1KP4F__AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

That sounds like it may work.

This may be the problem though. Doesn't each jack make a homerun to the patch panel. If this is true, I'm not sure if this can provided the connectivity needed to make this work. I'm not a phone line specalist so I'm probably wrong. It's just something to consider.

Back