Rockscape configuration #1

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Sorry, it's me again! Let me know if I'm asking too many questions! We are using the stand that we are donating to GA Tech to try out rock configurations. We've never done this before. The tank itself has dual overflows not in the corners.

What do you all think? We wanted caves and an arch.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200202_100501.jpg
    20200202_100501.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 20200202_100512.jpg
    20200202_100512.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 15806563712052323575162247018869.jpg
    15806563712052323575162247018869.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 80
That looks crazy good, seriously. Don't concern yourself with the number of questions, it's a very, very good thing. @Reefchef went through the same thing when he was setting up his system and all of the planning and questions made for a terrific setup. Proper planning is important and it's good that you're doing it.

A note on rockwork, just make sure that the rocks themselves sit on the tank bottom and account for the level of sand you're going to be adding. There are all kind of cool critter that like to dig out under the rocks and it's recommended to get that part stable on the bottom and then add sand. That way if your pistol shrimp decides he need to undermine every single rock in your system, you won't have any rock work shifting.

He loves arches and I like it too. He went to Wal Mart to get more food for Superbowl Sunday so maybe he will stop playing with rocks for a while lol

Trying to rebuild this inside the tank, by myself since his back is newly broken and mine is at least held together with lots of screws and rods, is proving to be quite challenging!
I can’t remember now which thread I read it on but what is the name of the epoxy that can be purchased at Lowe’s? Gel superglue and rods are definitely not going to work with this

Trying to rebuild this inside the tank, by myself since his back is newly broken and mine is at least held together with lots of screws and rods, is proving to be quite challenging!
I can’t remember now which thread I read it on but what is the name of the epoxy that can be purchased at Lowe’s? Gel superglue and rods are definitely not going to work with this
I think it was JB weld Waterweld. But since it is dry you can use regular JB weld. The water weld can be used underwater.

Sorry I curse like a sailor but trying to do these rocks and get them stabilized in this gigantic tank on a stepladder is a pain in the ***!! However, I'm not a quitter and I was able to get one side built and glued together. Leaving it to set until tomorrow then I will work on the other side. I don't think it came out exactly the way my husband built it outside on the old stand but it's close enough! He had the advantage of doing it at waist level from the front, I'm trying to recreate it from the top while he looks at the pictures and thru the glass to tell me how to adjust.
Haha...probably not telling you folks anything you dont know but Im proud of myself for getting it done!

Attachments

• 20200207_184113.jpg
    20200207_184113.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
J-B water weld safe for portable water and according to Reef2Reef forum reef safe. It’s on amazon.
Sorry I curse like a sailor but trying to do these rocks and get them stabilized in this gigantic tank on a stepladder is a pain in the ASS!! However, I'm not a quitter and I was able to get one side built and glued together. Leaving it to set until tomorrow then I will work on the other side. I don't think it came out exactly the way my husband built it outside on the old stand but it's close enough! He had the advantage of doing it at waist level from the front, I'm trying to recreate it from the top while he looks at the pictures and thru the glass to tell me how to adjust.
Haha...probably not telling you folks anything you dont know but Im proud of myself for getting it done!
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!

I like it!!! And don’t feel the slightest bit bad... I am too lazy to glue my stuff down, so I’m limited to what I can stack with gravity. Therefore, my ‘scapes always look like condemned stone henge (which I think I may have said earlier in this thread :rolleyes: )

and thank you for the liberal use of “potty mouth”!! :D

I like it!!! And don’t feel the slightest bit bad... I am too lazy to glue my stuff down, so I’m limited to what I can stack with gravity. Therefore, my ‘scapes always look like condemned stone henge (which I think I may have said earlier in this thread :rolleyes: )

and thank you for the liberal use of “potty mouth”!! :D
The potty mouth here is tame compared to what was coming out of my mouth last evening, when I stopped in frustration, and this evening lol. My poor husband. He can't help but wants to and he feels bad but we did get it done together, with him directing rock position from the front perspective.

Back