Rockscape configuration #1

Hello! Firstly, I’ll say that it looks great, and I love the multiple arches!!! I notice a few areas that may need attention/consideration.

1) You asked is it too much rock. I’d say yes. Sure it looks great! But the volume of rock in the tank is pretty great, and the rockwork sits pretty high. Perhaps removing the singular big rock on the left would be an easy improvement to open up some swimming area for any fish, and growing room for corals. “Less is more” definitely applies heavily to professional aquascaping. ...and if you’re planning on having a tank for 2 years, for example, imagine a ~4” thick blanket that is laying on top of all your rockwork. That blanket represents corals, and in many cases (e.g. almost any Montipora), would still be conservative. With this new imaginary blanket in your tank, do you still have room for fish to swim? And does light still reach the bottom of the tank? Or is the blanket crushed up against the front glass and breaking the waters surface at the top?

2) Is this going to be a reef tank? You may find the rockwork is both very high and close to the front glass. And not offer you much space for corals to grow.

3) The rocks seem very close to the front glass. This encourages fish to swim behind the rockwork where you won’t see them. They already naturally will want to swim there away from people, so it’s working against yourself a bit. If you are able, I’d recommend scooting the rocks backwards if you can. You can also angle your arches so their center-base rock sits near the very back glass (between the overflows). This may have an additional benefit of creating a subtle cove in the center of your tank. The more space you can open up between your front glass and the rocks, the better for getting fish to swim where you can see them. This will also have the additional benefit of making the glass easier to keep clean.

Don’t get me wrong; I think this is one of my more favorable aquascapes! It really does look great. Just think of these general areas and if/how you may want to slightly adjust the design accordingly.

We adjusted it
Hello! Firstly, I’ll say that it looks great, and I love the multiple arches!!! I notice a few areas that may need attention/consideration.

1) You asked is it too much rock. I’d say yes. Sure it looks great! But the volume of rock in the tank is pretty great, and the rockwork sits pretty high. Perhaps removing the singular big rock on the left would be an easy improvement to open up some swimming area for any fish, and growing room for corals. “Less is more” definitely applies heavily to professional aquascaping. ...and if you’re planning on having a tank for 2 years, for example, imagine a ~4” thick blanket that is laying on top of all your rockwork. That blanket represents corals, and in many cases (e.g. almost any Montipora), would still be conservative. With this new imaginary blanket in your tank, do you still have room for fish to swim? And does light still reach the bottom of the tank? Or is the blanket crushed up against the front glass and breaking the waters surface at the top?

2) Is this going to be a reef tank? You may find the rockwork is both very high and close to the front glass. And not offer you much space for corals to grow.

3) The rocks seem very close to the front glass. This encourages fish to swim behind the rockwork where you won’t see them. They already naturally will want to swim there away from people, so it’s working against yourself a bit. If you are able, I’d recommend scooting the rocks backwards if you can. You can also angle your arches so their center-base rock sits near the very back glass (between the overflows). This may have an additional benefit of creating a subtle cove in the center of your tank. The more space you can open up between your front glass and the rocks, the better for getting fish to swim where you can see them. This will also have the additional benefit of making the glass easier to keep clean.

Don’t get me wrong; I think this is one of my more favorable aquascapes! It really does look great. Just think of these general areas and if/how you may want to slightly adjust the design

I adjusted it best I could. There is only one piece of rock that is anywhere near the top of the tank, I think.the photos may be a little deceiving as they don't show depth well. The rocks are extremely heavy and I've already cemented them together. Just for reference the big rock on the left (which my husband refuses to let me remove) is only 1/2 the height of the tank. Thank you for your ideas!

Awesome. I’m happy if any of my suggestions can help to improve your enjoyment of your upcoming tank!

Im very excited by your enthusiasm. And honestly, it was looking great already!

Back