Should I upgrade

mockery

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 37 gallon tank that is 30 long by 12 deep and 22 high, The tank is set in-wall and well on the tour of tank johnr2604 was selling my dad on this tank that is 56 gallons and should fit the stand. Well I would need to trim the whole about 1.5 inches. With that aside would my 250 mh with 2 65watt pc be enough to keep all types of corals. Also would it be worth the work and expense to do this?

That's alot of work for 20GAL more. If you are really going to upgrade make the leap! Or make your current 37 even better with more corals or new equipment!

You could always go even bigger. Like I was telling your dad It wouldn't take much to extend the header. I couldnt remember the dimensions exactly on the 56 but it is definetly a wider tank and would add some more dimension to your setup. Enlarging the hole is not that big of a deal cosidering the tank you have now is sitting an old closed in door frame

That is what i'm thinking. But would the light i have now still work? If it does and the tank is not too expensive i think i'm going to go for it!

It all depends on the size of the new tank. If it's close to the dims of what you have now, then yeah the light will work. If you have a fixture (which is what I'm guessing you have) then you'll be limited to the size you can upgrade to....before you start to put shadows in the tank where the light cant reach.

Yes i have a fixture, it has a 250watt metal halide with 2 65 watt pc. The new tank would be 2 inches higher and 6 inches deeper

6" deeper? I would pass. IMO, I would get a 30" cube tank built. Tank Volume = 93.5 Gallons

We have two sponsors that could build you one. Precision Custom Aquariums in Canton or MRC in Lawrenceville. They would be Acrylic tanks though. Ohh and your light would work well on a cube tank IMO. I am using a 250watt Aquamedic fixture on my 32" cube tank.

I'll look into it. And i don't think i would a 30 cube maybe something like 30x22x22 which would be about 63 gallons

I do have to agree with James. If your gonna go through having to open the hole up I would go larger. When I was sudgesting the 56 without knowing the exact dimensions I thought it would set right in from judging it by eye.

Oh ok well now i'm thinking of doing a tank that is the footprint of my stand something like 30X23X22. But i don't know.

You could go with a deep tank look by getting a tank that is the same width as your current tank is long and adding on to your stand. Turning it sideways. Kinda like a reef to lagoon look.

Ok well i asked Woody for a quote for a tank that is 30 long by 23 high and 19 deep. These dimensions make it so i would not have to change the stand. The volume would be about 56.9 gallons and my question is should i do 3/8 or 1/2 inch acrylic?

Go 3/8th...you don't need 1/2 for that volume...be wasting money IMO. My 140g is 3/8th and it's rock solid.

I would follow his recomendation since he is building the tank but I believe thicker is better. Will it be euro-braced?

i don't know about the euro brace and he did not recommend one from another

Back