So I was fragging some zoas monday evening.....,.

york1

Supporting
Reaction score
So monday night i cut up some zoas and palys that were growing where I did not want them. Ive done this hundreds of times with no problems. That is until now. I have spent the last three days with three different eye doctors. Now I am fighting to keep some vision in my left eye. Palytoxin aint no joke people.

Oof, brutal. Do you happen to know which morph of the palys or zoas it was that you were cutting up? I know some are carry much more toxin or are more toxic than others.

Oof, brutal. Do you happen to know which morph of the palys or zoas it was that you were cutting up? I know some are carry much more toxin or are more toxic than others.
I am 90% sure it was from cutting up some Palythoa grandis

I am 90% sure it was from cutting up some Palythoa grandis
Was it on your hands and then touched your eyes? I’ve been super sloppy every time I cut Zoas up and haven’t had any issues. I’ve never messed with palys though.

Was it on your hands and then touched your eyes? I’ve been super sloppy every time I cut Zoas up and haven’t had any issues. I’ve never messed with palys though.
A few polyps squirted while i was cutting them and hit close to my eye right under the glasses i had on. I have had that happen before and didnt think anything about it. Later that night my eye hurt like i had something in it and by morning everything was burrly in my left eye

Sorry to hear it, hope it all turns out alright. This is the exact reason I'm too chicken to have palys or zoas in my tanks. I haven't looked into it in years, but I remember reading a long time ago that palys are toxic but zoas are not; however whatever book it was said that there are so many species that look like one another, that there isn't any way you can know unless you do lab tests on them. Lots of things have changed over the years, so I'm not sure if this is still accurate. Paly grandis are the only ones I know for sure to be a paly.

Sorry to hear it, hope it all turns out alright. This is the exact reason I'm too chicken to have palys or zoas in my tanks. I haven't looked into it in years, but I remember reading a long time ago that palys are toxic but zoas are not; however whatever book it was said that there are so many species that look like one another, that there isn't any way you can know unless you do lab tests on them. Lots of things have changed over the years, so I'm not sure if this is still accurate. Paly grandis are the only ones I know for sure to be a paly.
This probably wont stop me from keeping soas and paly but I will be more careful. I will pick up a face shield before i frag any more.
Also if you ever think you have been exposed to palytoxin and your doctor blows you off. get up and find another doctor:)

This probably wont stop me from keeping soas and paly but I will be more careful. I will pick up a face shield before i frag any more.
Also if you ever think you have been exposed to palytoxin and your doctor blows you off. get up and find another doctor:)
I hope everything heals up and you have no lasting issues! Eyesight is nothing to mess with.

Messing with Paly's has always scared me. I usually salvage what I want off whatever they are next to and toss the rest to avoid cutting them.
Just getting a little toxin in a nick on you finger can cause a huge ordeal for yourself.

I had some palys take over a rock that I wanted to use for other corals so I gave away a few and left a small frag for myself and dropped the rock in a bucket with bleach and water. F it! No chances. Did the same thing to a rock with aphasia.

Good luck with the infection.

I had some palys take over a rock that I wanted to use for other corals so I gave away a few and left a small frag for myself and dropped the rock in a bucket with bleach and water. F it! No chances. Did the same thing to a rock with aphasia.

Good luck with the infection.
Be careful with that. Breathing in the aerosolized palytoxins can be fatal. If you’re going that route, just leave the rock out in the sun somewhere outside. I’ve been very nonchalant about cutting them, but there’s no way I’d ever risk aerosolizing the toxins.

Be careful with that. Breathing in the aerosolized palytoxins can be fatal. If you’re going that route, just leave the rock out in the sun somewhere outside. I’ve been very nonchalant about cutting them, but there’s no way I’d ever risk aerosolizing the toxins.
I thought I was avoiding it getting it in the air by letting it die in a bucket. It sits over night.

So have any of the doctors confirmed Palytoxin as the cause? It doesn't seem like there are many other options but you never know, could be bacterial or could even be both. I feel for you man, what a scary event to deal with.

Back