SPS trouble- need the experienced!!

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
It looks like algae on the frag plug (growth). I'm not sure if it's flow or light. It was located in the center of the tank getting more flow but I did some rock work and it has a new home.

It was 12" under LEDs, Radion Pro @ 75% for 8 hours. I moved it a week ago 9" under a Phoenix 14,000k, 175W MH, Lumatek Ballast and it's not happy. Whatcha think it needs?

How many hours would you recommend I run the MH's?

Thank you

Is the SPS frag dying, or is there a bit of algae growth on the frag plug? A pic if possible would be great. I am having a hard time interpreting exactly what the issue is.

Sorry I forgot an important piece!
EF801932-1BE0-46D9-9504-787590D31699_zpsoefe8bsz.jpg
alt="" />

Same question as before. What is the flow like? I have seen this and usually the coral wins. If you want you can softly use a soft brush and get any algae buildup off but what you have now is not a big deal.

Sorry about late pic's!

The flow is constant and direct from the return lock line (1/2) of the return. It inot a strong hitting current because there's a WP25 behind that rock pointing up and an mp10 on the right (side wall) pointing out.

I just want to correct the problem if possible.

One opinion (pic only) from an experienced SPS keeper thought it needed more light. How many hours should I be running the MH's?
Thanks

Is it pointing directly at this coral. All the SPS I have die off it hit with constant (like always on them) flow from a return or non wave maker power head.

I don't think it is a light problem. In my experience light problems cause color loss or change or tissue rtn.

Behind the Rick u see the WP 25 cord, to the left is the MP10 and return is on the right. This is in a 4', 75 with center overflow. So this is in 1/2 of the tank!

EFDDE65D-5C9F-4A68-B3CA-327308462F42_zpsm36plswf.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks

Any scraping when you moved the coral? You said you rearranged some things?

The short answer it that you had a small amount of tissue loss. It seems to have stopped. Now in the absence of tissue algae will grow till the tissue covers the space back up. I'd go 8 hours on the halides although I think you need a 250 or two. Is the halide thing temp and you will return to LEDs?

No :( I just bought them and its a 75 gallon hence 20" deep and 175 was recommended...
I've got a 175 on each side and a Radion in the middle, testing for best growth for the next year.

So you would have recommended 2, 250's with the Radion in the center of a 4', 75 gallon?

I did purchase the Lumateck so I can use a 250W bulb but I just paid $350 for these two bulbs....

No. You may be ok. That is a good bit of light but I'd keep the SPS up high. You also want good strong irregular flow on them. Hard to do that on the edges. Do you have a full tank shot so I can see the whole think. Looks like a great tank!

I use Phoenix 14k 250 and I don't usually pay that much. I do love the bulbs though.

Back