SPS trouble- need the experienced!!

3DF9AFD3-0D0C-4F51-8771-5C50C9FBCC28_zpssuvfamyj.jpg
alt="" />This is the FIRST picture posted, lol
I'm not happy with the light showing thru the canopy and I've still got coral/rock work to do.
But you asked for it :)
9E430C3A-AFB2-4500-B11E-11D01620A2B3_zpsu7tefepw.jpg
alt="" />
FC67D985-E994-4760-BB61-CEE491A37B0A_zpsjzhfib1b.jpg
alt="" />

The frag doesn't look too bad, as Wildernet said. Main thing I'd look for is proper acclimation to the new light. I don't suppose you had a chance to check PAR levels of the old spot with the Radion LEDs vs this new light? Sudden change from a weaker to a stronger light can bleach SPS. You may want to start the coral at the bottom of the tank, and raise it higher every couple weeks. As for flow, you don't want it close to a point source of flow. You can literally blow the flesh off SPS with too much flow. Strong diffuse flow is what you want. Photoperiod of 7-8 hours a say to run the halides is all that is necessary for proper growth of SPS, IME. You can stretch it a bit, but there is probably not much benefit. I run my halides 7.5 hours a day, but also have VHO Super Actinics over the tank as well.

Oh I feel very privileged. Yea you have no problems here. I think the coral will heal. You might move into a place with higher flow though. I agree with Seth on this one. Super strong flow on a SPS is a great thing.

I was going to borrow a par meter but didn't get it done before I had to leave town last week. I was relieved to get the lights and fan running and programmed the day prior to leaving town!
Dave most of the corals are glued on the rocks. They are closer to the light (higher up in the tank) now than they were under LEDs. Last week I ran them for 4 hours hoping not to bleach them. This week I went to 5 hours and I can see some slight burning/bleaching on the Monti caps but that's the only problem besides this guy.
Since I can't lower the corals, should I stay with 5 or 6 hours this week or go to 7.5?
I ordered the RW 8's to use with the MP10's so hopefully the flow will be better but not damaging.

Jeez it never stops, so much to learn!
Thanks again both of you!

BTW
I just took those pic's and the lights were off so the corals aren't extended etc.. It looked better this afternoon, wish I would have taken tank shots then!

I think you are on the right track. I like the 5-6 hour idea for the next week or so then bump it up. I also back the time down when I get new bulbs for a couple weeks. The bulbs will change color a bit as they burn in so don't worry if it looks a bit different over time. You may not even notice.

Great, thanks! I was hoping that would work but with this SPS I didn't know what to do!
Hey Nathan I turned the lights and and took pics for you and didn't get a comment!
Sooo, suggestions for improvements please? :)

Actually it's not a decent pic because the right side clump of PSP isn't extended therefore doesn't look right.
Better pic's later :)

Camellia;975220 wrote: I was going to borrow a par meter but didn't get it done before I had to leave town last week. I was relieved to get the lights and fan running and programmed the day prior to leaving town!
Dave most of the corals are glued on the rocks. They are closer to the light (higher up in the tank) now than they were under LEDs. Last week I ran them for 4 hours hoping not to bleach them. This week I went to 5 hours and I can see some slight burning/bleaching on the Monti caps but that's the only problem besides this guy.
Since I can't lower the corals, should I stay with 5 or 6 hours this week or go to 7.5?
I ordered the RW 8's to use with the MP10's so hopefully the flow will be better but not damaging.

Jeez it never stops, so much to learn!
Thanks again both of you!

When I went from a crappy, inefficient, 250 watt DE halide batwing reflector to my first high efficiency reflector/eballast combo, even though I was staying at 250 watts, the PAR increase was so great my equipment dealer told me to start my photoperiod at 3 hours, and to go up by 1/2 hour each week and not to exceed 8 hours total. I would increase by 1/2 hour a week. Or if you can raise the fixture up, you can lessen the par that way, and slowly lower the halide fixture every. Others suggest putting a couple layers of aluminum screen over the tank, then removing them one at a time for several weeks.

Even doing the 1/2 hour a week increase, I still managed to kill a couple acro colonies through bleaching.

Go 4.5 hours for a week, then 5 for a week, then 5.5 for a week, etc., up until you hit 7.5 or 8 hours. That would probably be the easiest way to do it. But also keep a close eye for color lightening of your corals, including your LPS and 'Nem. If you notice the start of bleaching, then go back to the previous period.

You sure the monti cap bleaching isn't just new growth?
Dave what reflector/ballasts are you running?

Go 4.5 hours for a week, then 5 for a week, then 5.5 for a week, etc., up until you hit 7.5 or 8 hours. That would probably be the easiest way to do it. But also keep a close eye for color lightening of your corals, including your LPS and 'Nem. If you notice the start of bleaching, then go back to the previous period.[/QUOTE]

Got it thanks!

I actually lowered them 3" inside the canopy today but will raise them back up and stay at 4.5...

Funny you mentioned my Nem! The rock/area it's attached has a deep pocket with a hole in the back as well as the front. Today it pulled itself tight and went thru the back (less light). It hasn't done that since I moved into this tank and I had the MP10 aimed to close for its liking. I'm glad it realizes (Amen) it has an option for shelter and doesn't go wondering....
Thanks again

wildernet;975209 wrote: I use Phoenix 14k 250 and I don't usually pay that much. I do love the bulbs though.

Yes I found the 250 much cheaper but couldn't find the 175! Believe me, I searched too!

At the time I bought the bulbs I had bought 2, 175w ballast used from a member here. Then one didn't work so I had to go another route. Never heard back from the seller either! At least now with the Lumeteek I won't be stuck next time I need bulbs paying $169 a bulb!

tonymission;975230 wrote: You sure the monti cap bleaching isn't just new growth?
Right now I am running Hamilton Technology Cozumel Sun reflectors and Hamilton M135 400 watt ballasts with 400 watt Radium SE bulbs.

tonymission;975230 wrote: You sure the monti cap bleaching isn't just new growth?

See the red/purple (looks brown) Monti on the left two colors are glued together? The tip of the "purple" was were the red one is now on the right. It was really high and yep, burned at the top corner. Not bad, considering!

Camellia;975223 wrote: Great, thanks! I was hoping that would work but with this SPS I didn't know what to do!
Hey Nathan I turned the lights and and took pics for you and didn't get a comment!
Sooo, suggestions for improvements please? :)

Actually it's not a decent pic because the right side clump of PSP isn't extended therefore doesn't look right.
Better pic's later :)

My bad. It looks great. I like it a lot. Thought I said that but alas I did not. Sorry about that.

Back