Standard bulk water change vs continuous

http://www.stcvalve.com/Solenoid_Valve_Specifications_2P160-250.htm">http://www.stcvalve.com/Solenoid_Valve_Specifications_2P160-250.htm</a> here is a 1
' solenoid valve for your cheap ....which would be fine if you were going to isolate say a 5 gallon bucket? this would just close off until your wter change then turn back on .I would get the normally open .

Dakota9;497364 wrote: That's a very hard thing to do if not impossible, even with identical pumps as compensating for wear, gravity, debris and calcium build up are a lot of variables with impossible to calculate factors.

Sooner or later, you'll get a flood......
I totally disagree. It.s not impossible to do if you are willing to invest in the proper pumps and valves.

I'll show you guys how soon as I get the funds. And will let any of you try to make it flood. Not going to let the cat out of the bag yet but is something I have been working on.

hahahahha, gee why dont you all get in a fight over stuff you obviously dont understand

it really is not that as big a deal as your making it out to be. Many people have been doing this for a long time with no problems at all. I was just debating its effectiveness, the method is well documented and tested.

ares;497393 wrote: possible? no doubt in my mind... reliable? seems like one of those things, that everything you add to help it be more reliable, your adding another potential for disaster :/

solonoids, automated valves, matched peristaltic pumps, ect, each one is 1 more peice that if it fails, you dump 50+g on the floor.
I am glad Edison,Benz,Diesel and couple thousand other inventors did not have that mentality!
The pessimism on this forum is amazing to me. Maybe we should start a noway you can do it yourself without a flood forum. Better yet let's all just unplug everything and put a hammer through the front of our tanks and speed up the inevitable!!!!
Or Maybe we could put our minds together and come up with something to advance the hobby or at least make it easier.

Ender I think it would be very doable and worth it if we can get the cost down. Did you check out the link I posted for the 1
' solenoid valves?

ares;497412 wrote: you see pessimism, I see realism, good planning considers a better alternative, not charging into issues till you overcome them with brute force just because you have something to prove.

didnt say it was impossible, but it is overly complicated, or atleast it is when you start adding bypass butterfly vales and solenoids...

What is complicated to some minds is simply elementary to others so feel free to to lurk and learn! No harm done I understand.

ares;497416 wrote: I'd prefer if you didnt try to talk down to me, I assure you I understand quite well. I understand that mechanical devices can fail and I plan accordingly.

And I assure you that I am not trying to talk down to you. You see complicated, I see elementary . I can't change that.. You are the one that complicated it, I just confirmed your own words. I also understand that mechanical devices can fail as well ,hence some of the backups I was discussing . If you are going to make comments that are blanket statements like the one quoted above then expect the kinda of response you got from me. If you make a statement and explain why you made such a statement with some kinda of reasoning or rationale as to why ,then and only then will I be glad to converse and reason with you. If you don't think it will work and is too complicated that is fine . I don't need your blessing to do this project.

Come on ARES not to use mechanical or electrical devices because they fail is not a well explained statement. I mean heaters fail everyday will still use them. Pumps fail everyday we still use them. Every man made device out there fails sooner or later. If you had read closer or perhaps if I had explained better you would understand that my design included a planning ahead but instead you threw the "too complicated statement" in the mix.

Im really starting to like this thread. Education AND entertaining!

Dave the only problem with that for my system is I would need a 2" valve. other then that with just a float switch and two more outlet off the controller, and the two parastaltic pumps, I could easily make it do both a small continuous change and/or a large 150g change totally automated.

Only thing I would have to do is mix up the salt......****it one project at a time

EnderG60;497425 wrote: Im really starting to like this thread. Education AND entertaining!

Dave the only problem with that for my system is I would need a 2" valve. other then that with just a float switch and two more outlet off the controller, and the two parastaltic pumps, I could easily make it do both a small continuous change and/or a large 150g change totally automated.

Only thing I would have to do is mix up the salt......****it one project at a time

I will send you a cad of what I had in mind and would appreciate your input.

you really need a cad drawing of that? if you want to automate your stuff, all you need is one of those large solenoids, a pump and a float switch...well you need a controller as well but yeah its pretty simple.

EnderG60;497537 wrote: you really need a cad drawing of that? if you want to automate your stuff, all you need is one of those large solenoids, a pump and a float switch...well you need a controller as well but yeah its pretty simple.

i don't need one I thought you might!!:lol2:

I know I only have a nano (20gallon + 4 gallon HOB fuge), but I don't have to turn off my skimmer because the fuge water level always stays the same and the display level pump stays right under my water change line, and I don't have to heat change water because the MJ1200 warms it WAY hotter than I need (I have to actually stop the pump a few hours before WC to cool it down).

Finally had the opportunity to read this thread and there is an advantage to the continuous water change besides benefiting the laziness that many of us have. It helps in keeping your system as stable as possible by eliminating the spikes that come about from normal water changes. For those that don't have the DIY skills, Spectrapure has an "out of the box" alternative out there that's designed to do this. It uses their Litermeter III pump with an additional peristaltic pump that's powered by the LM III. It's not cheap but it doesn't come close to the cost of the Dailyseas! You can setup a system similar to the one that Spectrapure uses with other peristaltic pump as long as you are able to calibrate them.

Back