Sticker Shocked

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
Most of us have been in the hobby long enough to know some of the equipment can be pricey... sometimes a bit to pricey. How do you get someone into reefing without completely turning them away by pricing and not sound condescending? I’ve always start when someone ask “how much would it be to build a tank like that” by just saying tanks can a big range and that you can start fairly cheap. But a lot of times they take offense to that and push “ how much did yours cost”. Uncomfortable position with my wife starting there at times.
Recently, another teacher, my wife’s colleague was over and wanted a to give her child a tank like I had at home. I hated that I may have turned her off the idea completely :(. She was asking like price on everything and I couldn’t really lie about it.
How do would you approach something like this?

Most of us have been in the hobby long enough to know some of the equipment can be pricey... sometimes a bit to pricey. How do you get someone into reefing without completely turning them away by pricing and not sound condescending? I’ve always start when someone ask “how much would it be to build a tank like that” by just saying tanks can a big range and that you can start fairly cheap. But a lot of times they take offense to that and push “ how much did yours cost”. Uncomfortable position with my wife starting there at times.
Recently, another teacher, my wife’s colleague was over and wanted a to give her child a tank like I had at home. I hated that I may have turned her off the idea completely :(. She was asking like price on everything and I couldn’t really lie about it.
How do would you approach something like this?
Instead of talking about our own tanks and cost involved, a child tank can be more simple than we think. Maybe a 10G, HOB filter, & heater, then rocks and sand. There are plenty of options for nano tank livestock. Then they can just do bi-weekly 1G water changes.

I avoid talking about how much I spent on my tank. My wife fully knows cause when you start spending in the thousands, you got to be honest with the spouse.

I would note, like you said you have, that you can go "cheap" or go expensive. Even "cheap" can be shocking to some though. Be as honest as you can be with your wife there (My wife recently asked me what to do with my tanks if I die. I told her to come here and get advice so please be nice to her. I'll be dead so she probably won't be too mad when she finds out the true cost of things 😂 ). I'd also point them toward the forum if they are interested in starting a tank both for advice and to let them know they can get used equipment.

Instead of talking about our own tanks and cost involved, a child tank can be more simple than we think. Maybe a 10G, HOB filter, & heater, then rocks and sand. There are plenty of options for nano tank livestock. Then they can just do bi-weekly 1G water changes.

I avoid talking about how much I spent on my tank. My wife fully knows cause when you start spending in the thousands, you got to be honest with the spouse.
I’ve tried. But a lot of families want tanks to look just like furniture and decor. Even though it’s for their kids, aquariums are often time seen as part of home decoration.

I would note, like you said you have, that you can go "cheap" or go expensive. Even "cheap" can be shocking to some though. Be as honest as you can be with your wife there (My wife recently asked me what to do with my tanks if I die. I told her to come here and get advice so please be nice to her. I'll be dead so she probably won't be too mad when she finds out the true cost of things 😂 ). I'd also point them toward the forum if they are interested in starting a tank both for advice and to let them know they can get used equipment.
My wife knows how much most things are... she doesn’t need a reminder tho lol.

Maybe good start for someone like that would be Fish only set up with colorful coral decorations. Setup like that wouldn’t be “very expensive” and easy to maintain.

more affordable I should say

It is what it is - I wouldn't sugarcoat it. Its better for her to understand the investment in the beginning.
Some people just look at and want pretty things but don't understand the cost and maintenance involved (wives) and others look at pretty things and cringe because they do understand the cost and maintenance involved (husbands).

And this is the foundation for divorces.

My wife knows how much most things are... she doesn’t need a reminder tho lol.
Mine does too, for the most part and nothing was crazy expensive. Tank and apex classic were the most expensive things and both bought used. But now that my Hawaiian Yellow Tang is essentially bitcoin, I may need to update those prices.

I’ve tried. But a lot of families want tanks to look just like furniture and decor. Even though it’s for their kids, aquariums are often time seen as part of home decoration.
Then just be honest with them. Pretty simple really. Not sure why you feel uncomfortable telling them if you're saying your wife knows, kind of contradicting yourself.

Then just be honest with them. Pretty simple really. Not sure why you feel uncomfortable telling them if you're saying your wife knows, kind of contradicting yourself.
Cause talking about how much things cost isn’t a normal thing for me. I’m viet, my wife and her friend was Chinese. Culturally there are some differences. I’m not use to someone asking prices on things I own. It’s like someone random walking into your home and ask you “ hey how much was your couch” or “ how much do you make”. Hence I’m asking for a proper response to such things.

Cause talking about how much things cost isn’t a normal thing for me. I’m viet, my wife and her friend was Chinese. Culturally there are some differences. I’m not use to someone asking prices on things I own. It’s like someone random walking into your home and ask you “ hey how much was your couch” or “ how much do you make”. Hence I’m asking for a proper response to such things.

I actually think its a fair question for someone who is serious about getting a saltwater tank.
If its just talk or for curiosity sake I would give then a generic answer like "more than a little...less than a lot" or "its not the cost but the maintenance"

I built a drilled 20 gal (high) system with a 10 gal sump & an led over it for about $300. It’s doable, maybe less now.

I've had this issue as well, although not recently. They have NO idea that ONE pump on the side of the tank is $400 ha, not to mention skimmers, lights... and the multitude of other REALLY expensive stuff.
I have always told them what they can "get their hands wet for". I've said I've been doing this 17 years or so, so I've managed to build up the equipment over time.
Also, if someone askes what MY tank costs... yea i'm not answering that haha. To answer the question though, Realistically you can get INTO salt water for a few hundred bucks to see if it is something you enjoy. grab a 10 gallon tank, have someone donate a chunk of rock, buy some sand, a clown and a bucket of salt along with a few tools and you're set to begin learning. I've directed people to this forum MULTIPLE times over the years to gain information.

oh to add to my comment above... I try to instill in a potential reefer that all the things you SEE in the tank are just citizens of the environment the equipment provides. We keep water... the animals just reside there.

I can understand this and it sheds a little more light on the issue here. It can be a touchy subject but perhaps it could be easier to see, if they are indeed interested in starting a tank, if they want to take a trip to a LFS with you. You can then show them multiple types of equipment and livestock and see real work prices and not just rattle off the prices of your tank and equipment.

I’ve always just been honest when answering their questions. I’ve never had someone feel sticker-shocked when talking with me. Sticker-shock is different and independent from something being overpriced.

Sure, some things are expensive, but not all things. And just because something exists, doesn’t mean you need to buy it. Similarly, just because something is helpful also doesn’t mean you need to buy it. And if you do need to buy it, you don’t need to buy it new, nor from an official distributor. That applies to all areas of life, not just aquariums.

One analogy is that you need to buy a car, you don’t need to buy a brand new Ferrari from the dealership. Even if 50% of cars on the road were ferrari, you may still not need one. You can buy a cheaper car. Likewise, you can buy a used car. Decisions like these will be dependent on your intention, purpose, goal, etc... Dependent on those, you will have requirements that are unique to your situation; such as “I need something with an engine... so a skateboard won’t cut it” or “I need something with a roof... so that’s a no on motorcycles or maybe even convertibles since they cost extra”. Then you will have things you want “I don’t need 4 wheel drive, but it rains a lot here and I would feel safer.” ... In summary, with a little introspection and research, there’s no reason to be sticker shocked.

I’ve always just been honest when answering their questions. I’ve never had someone feel sticker-shocked when talking with me. Sticker-shock is different and independent from something being overpriced.

Sure, some things are expensive, but not all things. And just because something exists, doesn’t mean you need to buy it. Similarly, just because something is helpful also doesn’t mean you need to buy it. And if you do need to buy it, you don’t need to buy it new, nor from an official distributor. That applies to all areas of life, not just aquariums.

One analogy is that you need to buy a car, you don’t need to buy a brand new Ferrari from the dealership. Even if 50% of cars on the road were ferrari, you may still not need one. You can buy a cheaper car. Likewise, you can buy a used car. Decisions like these will be dependent on your intention, purpose, goal, etc... Dependent on those, you will have requirements that are unique to your situation; such as “I need something with an engine... so a skateboard won’t cut it” or “I need something with a roof... so that’s a no on motorcycles or maybe even convertibles since they cost extra”. Then you will have things you want “I don’t need 4 wheel drive, but it rains a lot here and I would feel safer.” ... In summary, with a little introspection and research, there’s no reason to be sticker shocked.
You be surprise how many people get shock on just how much an empty tank and stand are.

I can understand this and it sheds a little more light on the issue here. It can be a touchy subject but perhaps it could be easier to see, if they are indeed interested in starting a tank, if they want to take a trip to a LFS with you. You can then show them multiple types of equipment and livestock and see real work prices and not just rattle off the prices of your tank and equipment.
That’s my plan. I’m just going to take them with me on next LFS visits. So they can see different set ups and what they like. Than we can go from there. Probably easier for me and them. If budget allows they can go full on tech diving. If not hopefully they can find a basic set up within reason.

I think the biocube 32 is almost the perfect starter tank. Larger so it has some more stability but still self contained. Really heater, wavemaker, rocks (and sand if wanted), and water ans you are ready to go.

Back