Sticker Shocked

I usually tell people looking to get into the hobby that they need to be prepared to spend $2000 within the first 2 years for a smaller tank in the 20-40g range. It can be done cheaper or it can be done far more expensive but I find that's usually a good starting point with the conversation to get people a solid understanding of what this hobby entails.

You be surprise how many people get shock on just how much an empty tank and stand are.
I repeat my previous comment as a response. Lol.

Ive consulted hundreds of people on tanks. Managing an LFS storefront, it was hand-in-hand with my job... but also I had no stake in what people chose.

But when you give people an honest and complete response, there is a significantly decreased probability for sticker shock. But if you just say “yeah, that’s going to cost $1000-2000 for that one thing” yeah, people are going to be shocked. You have to explain what is being purchased and alternatives. For example, “you have a few options. You can buy X for $1000, Y for $500, Z for $150 but it may be terrible quality for ABC reasons... or even forgo all of that for the first year and get one after your tank is more established.” Presenting options like this, with explanations, avoids hitting them in the face with seemingly unavoidable costs. Rather, it presents it to them as a series of options and possible paths, each with Pros and Cons to weigh against their unique experiences and goals.

Last edited:
You can set up a cheap low budget reef tank for a few hundred bucks and keep less needy corals and be quite successful. Maintaining it can be done relatively inexpensive as well. The true cost is the time you put in. I probably spend 99% of my time maintaining the tanks and 1% sitting down and looking at them. You have to enjoy the maintenance if you are going to enjoy the 1%.

If it were me, I would recommend someone start off in freshwater if it is for young children. A 10 or 20 gallon with a HOB filter. The initial cost is much lower, the maintenance is much less, and it's simply more stable and forgiving overall. I kept a freshwater tank for 5 years while my son was young and only moved back to salt once my son was old enough to care about the difference.

This hobby requires significant time and dedication, especially if you're trying to do it on the cheap. I don't think it's something you can casually have a conversation on. Offer an hour of your time to walk through the mechanics and care and feeding of the system and inhabitants. At that time you can discuss pricing of individual components and alternative approaches. IMO, you either need to be very passionate about this hobby to get into it or plan to spend significant amounts of money on equipment and a management service. I don't think the casual idea of buying a tank for your kid is sufficient, especially if your initial concern is cost. I would probably convince them to take their kid to the fair and win them a goldfish or invest in Aquarium annual passes. Now, if you came to my house and was amazed by a Nessarius Snail crawling out of the sandbed after being disturbed by my sand sifting Diamond Goby and had to have a tank of your own then we can discuss options and share frags down the road.

For the record, I don't actually condone goldfish prizes at the fair. :rolleyes:

I tell folks that the sky is the limit but if they're just starting out, to go small and learn the ropes to see if they really like the hobby first.

I think they spent some time looking. Seems like a water box 15 will be their first tank. I’m loaning them a light for being until after taxes. Should be enough for the 2 clowns and the fire shrimp they like

Back