Tank massacre...

Well whatever it's called, faulty electrical stuff can kill fish.

Jenn

Madcanary;1040000 wrote: yeah i upgraded from eheims, to the neo therms. wouldn't the voltage show on my apex graphs?

Doubtful. It would take a pretty good current flow to register.

Here is why I doubt it is stray electricity. This will take a bit to explain so bare with me.

Ever see a bird sitting on a power line? That power line is at a minimum voltage of 4160 volts but most likely 13,800 volts or higher. Why doesn't it cook the bird? The reason is the the bird is not touching anything else. He becomes the same potential as the wire as in 4160 volts and therefore current will not flow thru him. But, if he touches something not at that potential, the voltage will try to equalize and therefore current will flow. The current flowing thru its body would cook him from the inside out or cause him to explode.

How does that relate to fish in a tank. If the water in the tank comes in contact with live voltage, it will be at the same potential as the source. In other words 120 volts. If there is no path to ground nothing will happen. If however, the water is connected to ground by some path, current will flow. Because resistance would be low, amperage would climb exponentially in short order. That should cause the breaker to trip. If there is GFI protection that would trip qicker than the breaker.

As for the fish, they are emersed in the water that has current flowing thru it. You might think therefore the current will flow thru them as well. But, current will take the path of least resistance. Salt water has very little resistance and a fish has much more. Therefore the bulk of the current would flow thru the gallons of water in lieu of the fish.

Unless the fish somehow touches a ground source that the water is not touching, the current will not flow thru the fish.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. If you don't believe me, ask Tesla :)

great explaination rich. i am curious if you think ground probes are more detrimental then?

lol, so still unexplained....... so how long to wait till i think about restocking?

Russ-IV;1040016 wrote: great explaination rich. i am curious if you think ground probes are more detrimental then?

I personally would never use a ground probe. That ensures current will flow. With saltwater (an electrolyte) in motion you have a battery. Connecting that directly to ground ensures current will flow.

A GFI is much better protection. It measures the difference in the current flow between the hot and the neutral. If everything is working properly, that should be 0 because all current flowing thru the hot flows thru the neutral back to the source. If there is a short ciruit (a path of low resistance to ground other than the neutral) there will be a difference in current flow. If the GFI is working properly, anything over 5 miliamps of current will cause it to trip. To ensure it works properly, push the "test" button on a regular basis. Or better yet get a GFI circuit tester fro HD or Lowes (maybe $15) and test it with that.

i have mentioned this before my tank is on a dedicated circuit and has gfi outlets on wall

JennM;1040012 wrote: Well whatever it's called, faulty electrical stuff can kill fish.

Jenn

Faulty electrical can kill anything. LOL. But in this case I doubt it is the culprit.

Madcanary;1040027 wrote: i have mentioned this before my tank is on a dedicated circuit and has gfi outlets on wall

Push the test button and see if it trips. If it does, I can almost assure you leaking electricity is not your problem.

f29b86c4cf9267ee3f6122cd0a39f855.jpg
alt="" />
This was taken saturday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Pic of dead fish didn't save. I just have a tank shoot. I snapped a pic of them on a white cutting board to come back to guess it didn't save to her phone

rdnelson99;1040014 wrote: Salt water has very little resistance and a fish has much more. Therefore the bulk of the current would flow thru the gallons of water in lieu of the fish.

This is true, though I wonder if even a little current can affect a fish's health? On the flip side, freshwater is not as conductive; therefore, you can "stun" fish by shocking them. I don't agree with it, but that's how it works.

Madcanary;1039510 wrote: so after 4 hours sleep wife wakes me up saying my new sailfin looks like its been in world war 3, i go to put him back in the acclimation tank. i QT for a day he was eating fine had been in tank 2 days.
unpon inspection all my fish where dead hiding under rocks corals. i have a pair of oc clowns and a pajama cardinal doing their thing all parameters are spot on and my shrimp and coral have no skipped a beat.
is it possible for a fish to freak out and kill everyone? sail fin and anthias trio are new, yellow tang 2 years old, royal gamma about 1.5 years old, everyone was doing fine no fights nothing all eating.
I'm beyond sick, then after a mcgriddle in bed for fathers day my wife washed my new samsung edge.. I'm having a great day.

Short story: yes, fish can be pretty violent and some fish can be quite weak/sensitive. I've seen fish die from stress, a la heart attack, while an aggressive tang is on a rampage decimating the other tangs . BUT, I've never seen a single fish wipe out an entire tank, though.

Russ-IV;1040016 wrote: great explaination rich. i am curious if you think ground probes are more detrimental then?

Ground probes are one of the worst things in this hobby. I can't believe they're still available for sale. Never ever use one.

I didn't lose them all. I'm leaning towards yellow and sail fighting gamma is old and honry and the athanis prob had heart attacks.. I got my last few fish from shac and he's hooking up again.

Back