The $15 Poor Mans Nano Chiller By C-BuZz

EnderG60;438418 wrote: since nothing is in there, turn it off and see what the temps go to please.

Well I switched the system off last night, & this morning the water was exactly ambient temps @ 26c. Due for a top of 36c/38c today.

EnderG60;438421 wrote: Produces more heat, no. Harder to remove the heat...YES. Heat stored in water, and heat produced by a hot electrical device are alot different. Add in the losses of going through a second heat sink, then water, then plastic tubing, then water again.

Granted that stuff(heat sinks and peltiers) has gotten ALOT cheaper since gave a crap about overclocking. For a 4gal tank a 3°C drop for $20 aint bad.

But as I said I still want to see some actual usable numbers.

I agree, water doesn't actually produce any heat on it's own. It absorbs it from the surroundings. I think the question is, how much heat in watts can the water absorb @ a given temprature? But there are way to many variables to specualte.

What numbers do you want exactly & I'll try set it up. My ambient temps are all over the place at the moment. This morning my ambients are 29c @ 10am, it will probably peak at 38c like yesterday so it's going to be fairly tricky to get any solid data. But I'm more than happy to give it a crack.

C-BuZz

dawgdude;438727 wrote: Can you throw a kill-a-watt on that and see the total amount of wattage its pulling? Ill bet some titanium tubing would help a lot since the vinyl will actually act somewhat as an insulator.

Don't have one sorry. The peltier I am using is rated @ 68.5w but that's running on 15v/8A. I have the peltier running on 12v/10A computer psu so it's not quite at its full potential.

It really does heat up the heatsink a fair bit & I think any larger peltier the heatsink probably couldnt handle it.

C-BuZz

If you are not using salt water in the tub, you may be able to use an old computer water cooling radiator (I assume you have one stored somewhere if you used peltier cooling before). That would also improve conductivity of the colder temps and may even lengthen exposure time.

stickx911;438448 wrote: water wetter cut my water cooling rig's temps by 5 degrees. I was surprised, and I didn't expect it to work that way, but I took it :)

Cut my bike's operating temp by 20 deg F. :thumbs:

Son of Adam;439948 wrote: Nice Job.

What would a 200 gal rated chiller look like.

p-22308-36726-chiller.jpg
alt="" />

:D

C-BuZz;438721 wrote: Well I switched the system off last night, & this morning the water was exactly ambient temps @ 26c. Due for a top of 36c/38c today.

I agree, water doesn't actually produce any heat on it's own. It absorbs it from the surroundings. I think the question is, how much heat in watts can the water absorb @ a given temprature? But there are way to many variables to specualte.

What numbers do you want exactly & I'll try set it up. My ambient temps are all over the place at the moment. This morning my ambients are 29c @ 10am, it will probably peak at 38c like yesterday so it's going to be fairly tricky to get any solid data. But I'm more than happy to give it a crack.

C-BuZz

basically id like to see what the standing temps are (ambient and tank temp) without the chiller on, and the same readings with it on, but at at the same ambient temp.

basically Id like to see some readings to compare with and without the chiller on, while keeping everything else constant.

EnderG60;440219 wrote: basically id like to see what the standing temps are (ambient and tank temp) without the chiller on, and the same readings with it on, but at at the same ambient temp.

basically Id like to see some readings to compare with and without the chiller on, while keeping everything else constant.

I cant give you same ambients as they are changing to much. I can tell you one thing for sure, it's working & working very well.

Tank running all night without chiller switched on reading 26.3c with approx 28c ambients at 9am.

Switched chiller on at 9am. Tank temps slowly dropping consistantly till around 12:30pm where they stopped at 23.3c & have been sitting on that for the last 1hr in approx 35c amients.

Outside today in Melbourne it's currently 38c & approx 35c inside.

I made some modifications to it, so I expected it to work a little better than before:
23tqv6b.jpg
alt="" />
2550yol.jpg
alt="" />

C-BuZz

I cannot imagine 2 fans on top of each other would make a large difference. You should get a
a>...lol. That'll push some CFM (and make you loose some hearing)

stickx911;445010 wrote: I cannot imagine 2 fans on top of each other would make a large difference. You should get ahttp://www.coolerguys.com/840556087113.html"> delta</a>...lol. That'll push some CFM (and make you loose some hearing)[/QUOTE]

Have you tried it? It does make a difference. Only reason I did that was to increase flow at low rpm so it remains almost silent.

C-BuZz

C-BuZz;445014 wrote: Have you tried it? It does make a difference. Only reason I did that was to increase flow at low rpm so it remains almost silent.

C-BuZz

I'll take your word for it. I have not actually thought about it, so I suppose I shouldn't knock it. :)

And I can believe the volume is less than that delta. 220cfm doesn't come with out the price of room silence. (they sure do make heads turn though)

stickx911;445318 wrote: I'll take your word for it. I have not actually thought about it, so I suppose I shouldn't knock it. :)

And I can believe the volume is less than that delta. 220cfm doesn't come with out the price of room silence. (they sure do make heads turn though)

You don't have to take my word for it, just try it :) I've also got some fans here that would cut your entire hand off without even slowing down :lol2:But I like silence which is why I selected these fans.

C-BuZz

Back