The main things YOU do to shorten tank maintanence?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I'd like to know your tricks or any unique things you have came up with that shorten the maintenance required for your reef tank upkeep. Perhaps I'm OCD but I like a clean tank at all times.

As an "average" I spend two hours a day on my reef. I vowed months ago if in January my maintenance wasn't less time-consuming, I would get out of the hobby. Perhaps it's because of the high demands my various species of corals need, but that's what I like... IDK how to change it at this point! I've got a lot of corals that need spot fed daily and SPS that want clean water!

I started running GFO which helps but still have to do 20% WC at least twice a month to prevent unwated algae and keep water prams in check. I run carbon as needed, use intense filter socks and have proper skimer, apex, probes, WXM... The WC and vacuming the sand bed is a 4-6 hour job! If I let it go over 2-3 weeks i'll start seeing signs of algae which disappears instantly after a water change.

I'm on the edge hanging. I love my reef but want more out of life than a beautiful, healthy, clean reef tank!

Any suggestions appreciated!

For me, I outsourced.

I didn't like vacuuming the sand so I got a yellow diamond goby. My sand is pristine now and he is fat and healthy.

I didn't like scraping the glass and getting my arm wet to get the part near the sand, so I bought a tunze scraper. It does what my old mag scraper does, but in probably 1/3 of the time and I dont have to put my arm in the tank. I also don't worry about scratching the glass because it's practically impossible now.

Crew;1066804 wrote: For me, I outsourced.

I didn't like vacuuming the sand so I got a yellow diamond goby. My sand is pristine now and he is fat and healthy.

I didn't like scraping the glass and getting my arm wet to get the part near the sand, so I bought a tunze scraper. It does what my old mag scraper does, but in probably 1/3 of the time and I dont have to put my arm in the tank. I also don't worry about scratching the glass because it's practically impossible now.
Could you show your scraper.

It's this one: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-care-magnet-glass-cleaner.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-care-magnet-glass-cleaner.html</a>

I have the "strong".

The trick is the only part of the scraper that touches the glass on the inside of the tank is the scraper blade, so there is no worry of picking up sand or other particles that might scratch the glass. Here is a review done by the guys at BRS: [IMG]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zMq05hITY">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zMq05hITY</a>

Fishlips;1066806 wrote: Could you show your scraper.

+1

Thanks crew

I've got a pink Watchmen but with his pistol shrimp he doesn't do much for the Sand bed.

Also have have a lot of these huge great snail guys that I got from Premier aquatics. They run around under the sand and on the glass doing a great job, but not quite good enough with as much as I feed for my sun coral.

No problem - I really couldn't recommend that scraper enough. It's much faster because I have no hesitation about it scratching the glass and it gets all algae in a single pass instead having to go over it 3-4 times like you would with the velcro magnets. I also feel like the algae takes longer to come back because the Tunze scraper completely removes it instead of just visually removing it.

Crew;1066810 wrote: No problem - I really couldn't recommend that scraper enough. It's much faster because I have no hesitation about it scratching the glass and it gets all algae in a single pass instead having to go over it 3-4 times like you would with the velcro magnets. I also feel like the algae takes longer to come back because the Tunze scraper completely removes it instead of just visually removing it.

It is been paid for and hopefully hopefully being shipped to me today. The glass is one thing I do despise because I usually have on lotion. So I have to do the doctor surgical scrub, wash up to my elbows in hot water and then dry after, that's a routine in itself... Then I do it again to get the salt water off, lol

Thanks dear

I also love the Tunze care magnet

I'm also using bio pellets in both my tanks, and am able to maintain low nitrates and phosphates, in one tank NO3 is about 3ppm and the other is around 1ppm. I have almost no algae problems, except for some caulrepa that hitchhiked and doesn't want to leave

LSU_fishFan;1066818 wrote: I also love the Tunze care magnet

I'm also using bio pellets in both my tanks, and am able to maintain low nitrates and phosphates, in one tank NO3 is about 3ppm and the other is around 1ppm. I have almost no algae problems, except for some caulrepa that hitchhiked and doesn't want to leave

Do you recirculate that reactor? I've always been curious about biopellets.

I just started biopellets in a recirculating reactor for my 30 gallon. I'm also adding a capful of Microbacter 7 (we learned about these things at the reactors meeting a few months ago). I'm hoping this will help to keep that tanks params in check and reduce some cleaning needs. I'll be switching over from GFO in my 60 cube for the same reasons. I'm mainly looking for stability.

Sump is raised with valves for easy draining and refilling. When a 100g water change takes all of 5 min of standing around and turning 2 valves you can do it anytime even if youre in a hurry to go somewhere.

Other easy stuff is having a controller and large mixing/dosing tanks.

EnderG60;1066850 wrote: Sump is raised with valves for easy draining and refilling. When a 100g water change takes all of 5 min of standing around and turning 2 valves you can do it anytime even if youre in a hurry to go somewhere.

Other easy stuff is having a controller and large mixing/dosing tanks.

It's not just the water changing that's the time factor. Also vacuuming the sand bed, cleaning three sides of glass, sump, skimmer, socks, sump filters, floss, pumps, PH's....
I've got an Apex, extra reactors... I've got just about every piece of equipment you can think of or willing to purchase it.

I can't raise my sump very easy but if you can think of another way to automate my water change and eliminate maintenance time I'm willing! One possibility (I would be afraid to do by myself) would be to run lines through the wall behind my tank into the garage which is close and through a closet for the water change station.
Sounds like you have the expertise with spare time. I'd be happy to pay you by cash, equipment or with some of my prize possession corals!
What's your schedule look like?
:yes:

I have not removed my filter sock in about 3 mouths. I have snails in the sump that clean it. And snails in my sandbed and have never vacuumed it. Tanks been running for over a year.

Crew;1066807 wrote: It's this one: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-care-magnet-glass-cleaner.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-care-magnet-glass-cleaner.html</a>

I have the "strong".

The trick is the only part of the scraper that touches the glass on the inside of the tank is the scraper blade, so there is no worry of picking up sand or other particles that might scratch the glass. Here is a review done by the guys at BRS: [IMG]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zMq05hITY">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zMq05hITY</a>[/QUOTE]

Thanks,Think I'm going to get one.I take it you got the long model.

Mighty magnet for cleaning. So worth the money I should put it on the payroll.

Big UV

BIG SKIMMER!

I run carbon. I dose with a calcium reactor and kalk. Sometimes I'll run phosgaurd, but not usually.

Water changes are done with 2 valves. The easier it is to do, the more likely you are to do it. But, I don't have to do a ton of water changes since my nutrient export is on point and dosing too.

Camellia;1066890 wrote: It's not just the water changing that's the time factor. Also vacuuming the sand bed, cleaning three sides of glass, sump, skimmer, socks, sump filters, floss, pumps, PH's....
I've got an Apex, extra reactors... I've got just about every piece of equipment you can think of or willing to purchase it.

I can't raise my sump very easy but if you can think of another way to automate my water change and eliminate maintenance time I'm willing! One possibility (I would be afraid to do by myself) would be to run lines through the wall behind my tank into the garage which is close and through a closet for the water change station.
Sounds like you have the expertise with spare time. I'd be happy to pay you by cash, equipment or with some of my prize possession corals!
If you can get a critter or several (nassarius) to stir your sand for you, it doesn't need vacuuming near as often. Then water changes would be just that, changing water. To speed up the process, put a T valve on your return. Turn the pump off, flip the valve, turn the pump on, wait for container to fill up, turn pump off, replace water, turn valve, turn pump on. Done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Just curious camellia, what skimmer do you use and what size is your tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Camellia;1066890 wrote: It's not just the water changing that's the time factor. Also vacuuming the sand bed, cleaning three sides of glass, sump, skimmer, socks, sump filters, floss, pumps, PH's....

I got a spectrapure controller with integrated pump and another pump. Now all I do is fill one side of a container that is split in two with RODI and salt mix for a couple of hours and drain the other side of once a week. The controller does 150 mini water changes a day.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back